Justin Fitzgerald
United States
Mazomanie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Box reads 3-5. BGG says recommended for 2 though.

I guess I'm wondering if there's anything special you'd have to know to play the game 2 player. Could anyone fill me in?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Nunes
Portugal
Odivelas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually play with 4 suspects (with 3 there's a too high risk of getting either guilty suspect killed which ruins the game with 2 players). I play with every variant from the FAQ too: being that the essential ones for 2 players is the the one that keeps more evidence on the suspects and the stronger getting a jump.

The game is very good with 2 players but you must be more mindful of huge point swings as you can't avoid dark cards as easily because you're the only other player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played the game with 2 players and never found any problem. We also use 4 suspects because with 3 it's very easy to guess the hunches of your opponent, but other than that, we play by the original rules. This is also my favorite release of 2009 (well... technically it's from 2008, but I didn't play it until the beginnin of 2009, so...)

I wasn't aware of the variants in the FAQ, I'll look them up. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calavera Despierta
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mb
About half my plays of Android have been two players. It works wonderfully with two player play with little or no changes to any of the rules - indeed if anything it shortens the play time and especially the downtime between turns. I will always say yes to a two-player game, though I find I prefer slightly (but only slightly) the increased interaction in a three player.

With two players, we use three suspects instead of four. I can see where Jorge is coming from with his comment that it's too easy to guess what everyone's hunches are, but in my opinion this actually increases the tension in a two player game - it starts a real tug-of-war over the guilty hunch, and creates some really cool (and somewhat weird) evidence placement strategies on the game board (since, after you have investigated evidence, your opponent places it elsewhere on the game board on a similarly colored location.) It made me see strategic opportunities such as placing evidence in seedy locations near my opponent's current location to lure him in so I could hit him with a painful dark card, or alternatively, dumping a bunch of evidence on the moon, especially in the last four or five rounds before the evidence trail runs cold so that my opponent would either have to waste time climbing the beanstalk, getting a dropship pass, or miss out on all of that evidence in the last few turns.

I suspect there will probably be an official variant for two-player play released by FFG at some point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volker Hirscher
Germany
Oftersheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I suspect there will probably be an official variant for two-player play released by FFG at some point.

Do you think so? That would be cool. Anyway, I have a feeling that FFG does not really support/extend (right word?) this game anymore - maybe because it is not that successful. A pity - a german version was planned and then dropped (probably due to not being successful enough).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Nunes
Portugal
Odivelas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mavo wrote:
Quote:

Do you think so? That would be cool. Anyway, I have a feeling that FFG does not really support/extend (right word?) this game anymore - maybe because it is not that successful. A pity - a german version was planned and then dropped (probably due to not being successful enough).

Probably you're right but that's a shame. This game was really hurt by people trying it with wrong expectations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Preston
United States
rancho cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy the thought of a 2 player variant for this game. I yet to play the game it sits on a shelf and I hope to play it this weekend. I am having difficulty in mustering a thrd player so I have been considering some game mods that will entertain a positive flow of play.

1.) The first player token can cause a slight disadvantage to the investigator who just acquired it after being the second player. He would, in a sense have two turns in a row. This would throw the flow of the game off and greatly affect the playing of twilight cards. The balance of being light or dark shifted would stay mostly to the dark. The player may not be able to play a light card on his second turn because he was not given an opportunity to play a dark twilight card on the other players turn. To balance this I thought maybe the whole time track can be used and the players would alternate their actions doing only one at a time. The first player would place a player token on the 13 and the second player on the 12. The first player would perform an action leap frogging his token to spot 11. Player two would then perform an action and leap frog to time spot 10. Player one would always stay on the odd and player two on the even. If a player was to use the ability of a location then he would move his token two spots. The first move would be a leapfrog move over the players token and then a second move to the next odd or even number on the time track. Example: Louis just finished some loose end at the scene of the crime hence acquiring the first player token. It is day 2 and there is a lot of work to do, so Louis drives over to City Hall to try request a favor. The drive takes one time moving to spot 11 on the time track. Floyd sense something bigger than a suspect is behind this crime, he drives to Broadcast square. This moves his time token from spot 12 to spot 10 always staying on even time numbers. Back to Louis, he now uses two time to collect his political favor. This action will move his token from 11 to spot 7, only using the odd spots. Floyd now has some time to spend, he does some digging to gain a conspiracy piece using one time moving is time token one spot from 10 to 8. Since Floyd`s time is still a higher value than Louis(8 to 7) Floyd gets to perform another action. He decides to play a Light card shifting his twilight track accordingly. Floyd`s time track is now on spot 6 making it Louis turn again to do an action. There is one possible drawback to this change in the turn sequence. This order of play can burn through a players twilight cards in hand, in a single day. I might make a suggestion to limit the play of two twilight cards per player per day. A two player game could get brutal playing all of your dark cards on one opponent.

2:) The number of suspects should be four instead of three, an obvious suggestion from other threads. This does a better job of not to tipping your hunch when following up leads and placement of evidence. But I want to try going one step further. How about the injecting a "cover-up". It seems that the placement of evidence tokens is more of the planting of evidence..."OJ would never wear those ugly-ass shoes". It might work better if the evidence token that is being placed has a chance of sticking. A piece of evidence can be pretty damning but not if it is only going to be removed at the end the game because of a scoring rule. If a payer has a good piece of evidence he can make it stick by calling in a favor. The player will place his evidence like normal but instead he has the option of tagging it with a favor token. This will seal that evidence from prying eyes and save it from possible elimination at the end of the game. No one can look at that particular piece and it can never be removed. This might be a tip towards your hunch or it could be a clever bluff.

These are only possible variants and I am going to try them with the first play of the game. I hope that my play of the game will give me some more insight and ideas that I can apply. Not that the game is flawed, I just look forward to good game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
ghosthack wrote:
mavo wrote:
Quote:

Probably you're right but that's a shame. This game was really hurt by people trying it with wrong expectations.

Yes - we expected it to be a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Nunes
Portugal
Odivelas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
ghosthack wrote:
mavo wrote:
Quote:

Yes - we expected it to be a game.

Well it doesn't fit too well as a hat either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volker Hirscher
Germany
Oftersheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is rather a game than a hat - and a great one! The most underrated FFG game in my book...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Rampson
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please elaborate on how this isn't a game. I am genuinely interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calavera Despierta
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Scud-O wrote:
Please elaborate on how this isn't a game. I am genuinely interested.

But if you're going to do that, Chris, and I doubt you will, please have the respect to write a legitimate review instead of just going from post to post in the Android forum making rude and unhelpful comments. We get it - you don't like the game - so why are you wasting your time and ours with the snark? Either offer something tangible to the dialog about the game, or let it go, dude.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The short version:

A game typically offers players strategic and tactical choices whereby whichever player makes the best decisions will win.

Android offers players a series of indiscriminate "take that" opportunities wrapped up in a framework of chaotic randomness.

For the long version, see my other posts spread throughout most of the rest of the Android forums.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dario bacchi
England
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
and yet you list this in your top 10?!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rorshaq wrote:
and yet you list this in your top 10?!?

My version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.