9 Posts

Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: "The Line is Dead" vs. Free Search rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Stanford
United States
flag msg tools
In a game last night we had someone play the zombie card "The Line is Dead" to cancel someone's search. The controversy was that it was being played while Free Search markers were in play. Here's my question:

As someone moves into a building and then chooses to use the Free Search marker, can "The Line is Dead" be played to effectively cancel the search and therefore also removing the Free Search marker?

Several players had different opinions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Yeah... I see what you did there.
mbmbmbmbmb
It cancels a search, what is the problem with that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Stanford
United States
flag msg tools
The problem was with the Free Search marker. Some players were arguing that a free search is a free search, it's tied to the movement and can't be canceled. Some others were saying that it was an event that happens after the movement, giving the zombie player a clear space to use the cancel search card, which would render the hero having wasted a free search token.

In other words, can zombies screw the heroes by discarding a free search marker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Lee
msg tools
mbmb
IMO, the "free" in Free Search refers to letting the hero search after moving and without having to wait for the next hero turn. It should still count as a search that is subject to being canceled by the "Line is Dead" card.

--SB
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Daley
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, when we play, the search is canceled and the Free Search Marker is discarded when "The Line Is Dead" is played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Stanford
United States
flag msg tools
Yeah that's how I was playing it too. But some other players were thinking of the free search as being able to pick a card "immediately" (as written in the rulebook) instead of treating the search as an action.

I was trying to tell them that the free part refers to the ability to now search even after your movement. It doesn't refer to a free automatic card. The card only enters the game if the search is successful, and in this case it wasn't since I played "The Line is Dead".

I guess the argument really moves to the word "immediately" in the growing hunger rule book where it talks about free searches and how they work. Here's the quote:

Quote:
"If a Hero ends their movement in any space of a building with a Free Search Marker, they may discard the marker to immediately Search there for free (draw a Hero Card or use the buildings Pick Up: ability, etc.)..."

You can see it from both angles. They clearly state that you are performing a "Search" (with a capital 'S'). Which means it should be subject to anything that can happen during a standard Search. However, you can also see how using the word "immediately" can cause someone to think that it happens as soon as the movement ends, no matter what, without possibility of interruption.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Biodiesel
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with you, Matt. I think the zombies can cancel the search and discard the free-search marker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roman F
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sappington wrote:
I agree with you, Matt. I think the zombies can cancel the search and discard the free-search marker.

I agree this is the rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Waleke
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
or zombies or ...
badge
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Douglas Adams
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that the zombie player can cancel the search. After all it is called a free search marker not a free card marker. The game designers generally are very careful about their terminology. I think the immediately search phrase means that no other action can be between the movement and picking up the search token, but that the search is subsequent to the action of picking up the token. The rules don't say it is an instant search, just that it happens immediately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.