Subject: Multiplayer Wargames rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ergo Proxy
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys,

I need some recommendations on multiplayer wargames, with a minimum of 4 players in the game and without taking hours and hours to play (and if possible with little language dependency).

My gaming group absolutely loves A GAME OF THRONES, but the thing is, I'm stuck with the game, because they can't like any other game, they also like Arkham Horror and Puerto Rico, but that's about it.

I made a large research on those type of games, and all I can find is wargames for 2players and multiplayer games that takes a minimum of 4 hours to play like Twilight Imperium.

Some of the games that I found..

CONQUEST OF THE EMPIRE
TWILIGHT IMPERIUM (Massive Language dependency and time puts them off)
SUCCESSORS (Looks neat but too much historical)
SHOGUN (It looks very euro for my group)

So feel free to convince me to buy a good multiplayer wargame.

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thompson
United States
Homewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sword of Rome

It's a bit long. But you asked for a wargame.

And I'm a little confused by wargame and "too historical". War games are historical usually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey D Myers
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
"Always rely upon a happy mind alone." Geshe Chekhawa.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Preorder the Ragnar Brothers' Angola!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's always Fortress America, which was a far better and more innovative game than its brother, Axis & Allies. Of course, FA only has two "real" sides, with three players loosely allied (they can attack each other, but rarely will) against the fourth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clifford Mudd
United States
O Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Napoleonic Wars

or

Pre-order Here I Stand

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spartax wrote:
There's always Fortress America, which was a far better and more innovative game than its brother, Axis & Allies. Of course, FA only has two "real" sides, with three players loosely allied (they can attack each other, but rarely will) against the fourth.

I agree FA is a great one. I will disagree though about the invaders attacking one another. In our games, it definitely happens (based on the victory conditions allowing only one invader to ultimately triumph), though usually only in the later turns of the game. If you can get a copy on eBay, do it - you won't be disappointed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
Friedrich!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricatoni
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay it is Out Of Print but...

Rogue Trooper

Then this one Waiting for Reprint

Manoeuvre

...it can be played 2 or 3 player...I am not too sure about 4

Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery

...is about discovery AND you have the option of fighting in the new world. Not a hard and fast wargame but there are elements.

...there is also
Neuroshima Hex! 3.0
for Multiplayer options.

Finally,
Any WWII Desert Warfare with Italians and Germans vs. British could add house rules for three players.

Any WWII Eastern Front with Germans and other Axis Divisions vs Russians could also add house rules for a three player event.

We have played both Blue Max and Wings of War: Famous Acesas 3 and 4 player games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wizard's Quest

For 3-6 players (4 is ideal) and takes 1.5 to 3 hours. It's absolutely perfect and lots of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hutchinson
New Zealand
Waitakere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Ditto "Friedrich" or the latest "Maria". Maria is the shorter of the two with an interesting diplomacy dimension not in Friedrich. Friedrich can play four but I think it plays best with three, and Maria is really a three player game.

A game of a different sought entirely is "Starcraft: The Boardgame" - I really like this game which plays 2-5 BUT it is language intensive and requires an intial and significant investment of time to get it; but a rewarding game experience after that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N P
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Struggle of Empires. Plays in about 3-4 hours.
There are chits for special country powers you can buy like the builidings in Puerto Rico.
Once your group learns the powers, language wouldn't be much of a factor.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/9625/struggle-of-empi...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nexus Ops
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Moore
United States
KC area
Missouri
flag msg tools
Less talking about games and more playing games.
badge
Print-n-Play Wargames and Miniatures Rules www.wargamedownloads.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Condottiere
Knights of the Air
John Prados' Third Reich
Three Days of Gettysburg (third edition)
StarCraft: The Board Game
Perikles
Nexus Ops
Kingmaker
Firepower
Duel in the Dark: 3-5 Player Variant
Diplomacy
Attack!
Conquest of the Empire
Struggle of Empires
War! Age of Imperialism
Raider!
Soldier Kings: The Seven Years War Worldwide

* * Card Games
Zero!
Naval War
Modern Naval Battles
Enemy in Sight
Battlegroup
Guerilla
The Kaiser's Pirates
Victory & Honor
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
Conquest of Paradise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Le-Roy Karunaratne
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If the group likes A Game of Thrones I strongly suggest StarCraft (and later its expansion). It uses a similar order system and uses cards for fighting. It is playable 2-6 player (I have had fun games with just two, but with only one opponent it gets stale). I find that the more players there are the better it gets as you have multiple areas to defend. Although game-time increases as well.

However, I strongly suggest getting the expansion after a few months (or a year) of the base game. Don't jump right into the expansion, too many new rules. But it completes the game.

Edited to make 'StarCraft' a link
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Gerardy
Canada
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Close Action: The Age of Fighting Sail Vol. 1 The more players, the better!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Mageau
United States
Summerville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Check out my blog at www.rollingboxcars.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Titan?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Gerardy
Canada
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TGov wrote:

Haven't played yet, but how about Maria

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Christopher
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
In the wonderful game, Bonaparte at Marengo, this is how to get nasty Frenchies out of a village.
mbmbmbmbmb
Napoleon's Triumph is nominally a 2-player game but has some awesome team rules included.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pete_g wrote:

markus_kt wrote:
Napoleon's Triumph is nominally a 2-player game but has some awesome team rules included.

Both these games are awesome multi-player. We've found that NT can work with up to 8 players.

We just got into CA and that game is a real beaut. Doesn't surprise me as my gaming group are huge fans of Canvas Eagles (another multi-player) game about WWI dogfighting. CE is to aerial dogfighting what CA is to Ship & Sail armada combat. However, I must warn you, especially with how your group seems to be 'obssesive' based, once you play either of these games you'll have a hard time getting other games to the table; yes, they are that good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Christopher
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
In the wonderful game, Bonaparte at Marengo, this is how to get nasty Frenchies out of a village.
mbmbmbmbmb
pete_g wrote:

I didn't even notice this post. I have, but haven't yet played, Close Action. In high school and college, I did play Wooden Ships & Iron Men all the time. Naval combat games like those are made for great multiplayer sessions.

I'd also suggest Star Fleet Battles, but only if you know someone who can teach it to you. As an alternative, I've heard that Federation Commander is a great "SFB-lite" game. I've never tried it myself, though, so I can't personally vouch for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
For something lighter and quicker (using a shorter end), nothing beats Viktory II. It plays up to 8 and is a lot of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ergo Proxy
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestions guys

Starcraft and Friedrich are two of those I have my eye on..

What about the upcoming RUNEWARS, sounds like a big hit on my table but I still have my doubts on the gameplay since battlemist is not very high on the bgg ranking.

and what about WARRIOR KNIGHTS, is it really that boring? sounds similar to the game of thrones

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Le-Roy Karunaratne
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If Warrior Knights is similar to A Game of Thrones (I haven't a clue if it is) then it may be a bad buy because they are both set in the same era as well. StarCraft has the sci-fi era and you can return to A Game of Thrones without the feeling of down-grading.
RuneWars seems to be a good fantasy wargame and I suggest reading the rulebook when they release it to get a better view on how it will play. Have you watched the video they released? You may also want to watch their video for StarCraft, that is very informative.

Edit: corrected spelling
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Olivieri
Italy
Negrar, Verona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your group seem not with many "true" wargamers, so maybe Britannia could be a good multiplayer wargame for you.

Also Successors (third edition) is fine imo and not so long and complicated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.