BoardGameGeek» Forums » Introduction » New User Questions

Subject: How do I get financing for my board game?... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Edna Skagg
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Does anyone know how I could get financing for my board game? Is there a loan company that specifically deals with game inventors?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's how you can make a small fortune in the game designing business:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Start with a large fortune...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
I doubt it. The amount of money is just too small to interest venture capitalists.

If you're just making prototypes to show to publishers, you're probably doing something wrong if you're spending more than $100 per prototype--and you probably shouldn't be spending more than $20.

If you're self-publishing, then a price-point of $40 (about average, I'd guess) demands a production cost of about $5, so a run of 1000 is only $5000. This isn't even worth a bank's time to write a second loan on a home.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diz Hooper
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There isn't a lot of money in games (for new publishers anyway). So if you don't have the cash up front, then it is pretty risky to take out a loan to develop a game. I would recommend saving up until you have enough to do it, and then proceed with the game development from there. I'd also recommend starting with the attitude that this is a hobby rather than a business opportunity. That way, if it doesn't produce results, you won't feel bitter about it. If your first effort does produce good results, then you can start thinking about going into games as a business. Until then, you'll find it really difficult to get financing for game development. There are literally thousands of people who want to get into the field, but out of those thousands, only about a dozen or so will find success.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ziegreich
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nicepromo24 wrote:
Does anyone know how I could get financing for my board game? Is there a loan company that specifically deals with game inventors?

Before you get financing, please make sure you spend some time on this site. There are over 35,000 games listed here. Chances are that a game pretty much like yours already exists. This is not to say you shouldn't push ahead with your game, but you owe it to yourself to check out the field and become acquainted with some of the best and most popular games that already exist.

Perhaps you've already done this, in which case please put down my comment to the fact that I have no idea who you are. It's just that one sees too many games produced that lose their inventors money. You don't want to start spending money before you're confident you've researched the field properly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.