Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is amazing, but I'm confused on one point. Black stripe leaders cannot command knights or gunners, but they can be King? I am ok with the "foreign leaders" not commanding these units, but once they are king they still can't?

So an English knight tells his king, "sorry, not interested in fighting...I mean, I'm not going to fight for the french, but I'm certainly not fighting for you either." I just don't see soldiers refusing their king. It would be one thing if friendly leaders were somehow affected by a black stripe king (some overall penalty or something), but just the troops?

So I think that either they should be able to command these units or black stripe leaders just should not be king. I don't know how either of those house rules would change the game balance, as iirc bring king is just a punishment in the Lion of Winter scenario, whereas it can be a benefit in the hundred years war.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any reason you posted this twice in the same thread?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen it happen now and again - usually not by design. There are a number of reasons this can occur. Usually the poster sees the duplicate and deletes one before anyone has a chance to pee on him, but not always. Good eye - fast fingers...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I was accessing the site from my phone, which can be a bit tricky.

It's good to know that someone is out there watching to ensure that transgressions such as these are noted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Valk
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Razmus wrote:
Black stripe leaders cannot command knights or gunners, but they can be King?
Black-striped leaders cannot command gunners, true, but any 3-star leader can command knights (see 3.4 and 9.0).

Richard I and Henry of Anjou are the only potential kings that cannot command gunners (The "Hundred Years War" scenario has no 3-star, black-striped leaders). Granted, it does seem a little odd that the Lionheart cannot command siege engines. However, he can be accompanied by a leader who may, which negates any impact on gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
george seary
United States
endwell
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rule 14.0 (2nd bullet):

"Non-aligned (black stripe) leaders can never command gunners or knights or chevaliers."

An exception being that 2-star Burgundian black stripe leaders can command Burgundian chevaliers (there are 4 such leaders, all in the 100 y.w. scenario - appearing on turns 5,7,9,11).

As you've pointed out, of all the leaders of both scenarios, the prohibition of 3 star non-aligned leaders controlling knights affects only Richard I & Henry of Anjou, both appearing in 'Lion in Winter'.

Richard I - the Lionheart - can't command knights??
If there was ever a knight's knight during that period, it would be Richard. Is there any leader in that scenario who ever led more knights than Richard did during the Crusades?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
armadaman wrote:

Richard I - the Lionheart - can't command knights??
If there was ever a knight's knight during that period, it would be Richard. Is there any leader in that scenario who ever led more knights than Richard did during the Crusades?

This is the big thing for me as most of my plays (maybe all actually) have been Lion in Winter. Richard not commanding knights seems...weird.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ahmet Ilpars
Turkey
Istanbul
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My House rule suggestion is :
Henry of Anjou and Richard I can only be King of Enland (never France).
Once they become King of England all restrictions of black stripe is lifted. As long as they are Kings they become regular English leaders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Valk
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
armadaman wrote:
Rule 14.0 (2nd bullet):
Well, dang, how'd I miss that? Thanks for the correction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Asimakis
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where in the rules does it say that the "black stripe" 2 star Burgundian leaders can command Burgundian chevaliers?
Are you stating this because all the 2 star Burgundian leaders in the Hundred years War scenario are black stripe?
I think the only 2 star Burgundian leaders that can command the Burgundian chevaliers are the 2 "blue stripe" leaders in turns 5 and 10 of the Lion in Winter scenario.
Otherwise it contradicts the second bullet point in 14.0 at the bottom of page 15 in the rule book.
Am I missing something?

PLB
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls