Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
We are the knights who say...
badge
Ni!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I still haven't got my game, but I already have a rules question. When an ancient one has an ability that starts with "While the GOO stirs in his slumber...", is this ability active (if applicable) when he awakens? The answer seems like "no", but the rulebook says "these abilities are active all game long" and this text confuses me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan McCullough
United States
Germantown
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It means the Ancient one has that effect in play and it effects everyone, until it awakens, at which point, it loses that ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Still active when the GOO wakes up
I think it's in the old FAQ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boian Spasov
Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
badge
Ni!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys I am even more confused now. Can anyone provide a link to this FAQ (I have a FAQ, but I guess it is another version)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan McCullough
United States
Germantown
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoa, yeah, I'd like to see that too, If they retain their ability after they wake up, it seems like it defeats the purpose of having the 'asleep / awake' text. Not to mention I've been playing wrong all this time! goo

Edit: Geez -- I found the discussion and the answer: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp?e... going to be even harder now.. ouch
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diogo Poupado
Portugal
Ourém
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Adonai_80 wrote:
It means the Ancient one has that effect in play and it effects everyone, until it awakens, at which point, it loses that ability.
This is wrong.
The ability remains active when it wakes up. I had the same question some days ago, and got the answer. I also thought the ability only worked while he was sleeping.

Gotta hate those damn ugly beasts ( Ctulhu is a stud though modest )!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In your first games, U can play without it and after a few sessions, eventually play with ninja

@Nathan: well it's a common mistake as it's a bit against logic. But it makes the game harder so I love it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Stirs in his slumber" is just a thematic title that must of us use to ID what the special ability is of that particular Ancient One. It is clear in the rules that this ability is a game-long effect and does not end when the Ancient One awakens.

I am not sure if it was under the old FAQ or part of the new answers coming out soon. But I assure you the effect is the entire game, including the Final battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boian Spasov
Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
badge
Ni!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Think of it this way, if the Ancient One's equivalent of snoring is enough to reduce everyone's maximum Stamina/Sanity by one, or cause damaging icy rain to fall constantly...

...imagine how nasty they're gonna be when they wake up!

Cameron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
I was confused by this question, since the vast majority of them concern
the AO's followers receiving some kind of bonus, which wouldn't mean anything once he awoke.

Someone mentioning Cthulhu specifically woke me up. :-) Investigators wouldn't get their max Stam/San restored upon his awakening, so, yeah, I agree the effects are permanent.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
apatheticexecutioner wrote:
I was confused by this question, since the vast majority of them concern
the AO's followers receiving some kind of bonus, which wouldn't mean anything once he awoke.

Someone mentioning Cthulhu specifically woke me up. :-) Investigators wouldn't get their max Stam/San restored upon his awakening, so, yeah, I agree the effects are permanent.

Brian

Yeah, that is why it gets the nickname "Stirs in slumber ability" when in reality it is just the Ancient One's "Power." Quite a few aren't applicable as they deal with mythos cards or monsters. But where they are applicable, they remain in effect all game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I always read it as a permanent global effect. Just made more sense that way from a game point of view. But I usually try and look at things from a game point of view first, thematic second.

Cameron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.