Descent: Journeys in the Dark» Forums » General

Subject: AoD and ToI Suggested Quests rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Watson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own all three Vanilla expansions of Descent, but because I'm not always Overlord, I don't read ahead in the Quest Guides. I've read most of Jeff Long's terrific articles on the Quests in both the base game JitD and in Well of Darkness. I say "most of" to mean that I tried not to read too many spoilers, and mostly tried to get a feel for which ones were the more balanced/most fun quests. However, there is no such information available (that I've found) for AoD and ToI. I've read through the first quest in each of those expansions (and played; both OL victories), but I know nothing about any of the other quests.

I'm getting ready to OL a game in the near future, and I'm curious as to which of the quests in those expansions are best/most balanced/not impossible/most fun. Does anybody have any suggestions as to which ones they like? I ask this because my group is relatively new to the game, but we've played most of the quests in JitD, and I want to keep the games exciting (so that Descent keeps hitting the table). For example, picking a quest at random from these expansions and having it be similar to "A Hot Time" or "A Small Problem" from WoD would not work.

I saw that somebody had posted somewhere that ToI2 was a good one (without saying why). Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance for any feedback that you can provide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christine Biancheria
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From AoD, I've had very good luck with The Mists of Time, and friends report that it was one of their favorites.

From ToI, I would say the Castle of Dragons or The Tomb of Ice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christine Biancheria
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, the first quest of ToI is fun and the heroes have a pretty good shot. The second one is the only one I thought was really no good. The heroes sort of frolicked through it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christine Biancheria
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, me again. Sorry for not collecting my thoughts into one post. If you go to the fan-made quests on FFG, all of the quests by Mike Betzel are good and balanced and fun. So there's also that. I'll stop posting now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick H
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
sorry for jacking this thread.

But i cant seem to find a link to fan made quests anywhere on the FFG site

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
http://app.fantasyflightgames.com/descent_quests.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Watson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Christine Biancheria wrote:
OK, me again. Sorry for not collecting my thoughts into one post. If you go to the fan-made quests on FFG, all of the quests by Mike Betzel are good and balanced and fun. So there's also that. I'll stop posting now.

Thanks for all of your input. And I certainly don't mind all of the posts!

My group actually played ToI1 (Cauldron of Tears) in our last game. They didn't make it through. They made a few pretty big mistakes, and while I kind of took it easy on them (for the sake of maintaining play and keeping it fun for them), I couldn't not make them pay for it. This is why I don't want to run them through "The Black Blade", "The Spider's Web", or other insane quests (yet).

I checked out one of the Mike Betzel quests. Looked pretty good.

Thanks for again for your help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.