Combat Commander: Pacific» Forums » General

Subject: Suggestion for balanced scenario rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven Blotner
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Does anyone have a suggestion for a scenario that is balanced for newbies?

We have played 3 scenarios (scenario A; the one where the Banzai Japanese cross the river; and the one where the Japanese start lined up one per hex all along that 18-hex trail)

Each time it seemed like a blowout. I am guessing it's that we don't have the finer points down yet, and the "newbie mistakes" are affecting one side more than the other, but until we improve ... which scenario do you think is the most balanced for the ... um ... tactically challenged? wow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Ruzzo
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Havn't looked at the scenarios in a long time myself. I use the Random Scenario game generator most of the time.

What side is typically the one that is overpowering the other? Is it the defensive side? If so, some comments in this thread might help:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/480157/how-to-win-as-off...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Blotner
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Thanks. Some good advice there.

You guessed right. In our games ...
Scenario A: Defender won
Japanese crossing river: Defender won
Japanese in giant conga line: Japanese won, but both sides were Recon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Second vote for Random Scenario Generator. I love the scenarios, but the RSG is amazing and a lot of fun as well

Jacovis

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
Scenarios A and C are quite tough on the attacking force. I think I'm 2 for 9 attacking in scenario A and 0 for 4 in scenario C.

I've only played the conga line once, but the attackers won for me. I thought that looked pretty balanced in my one play. I do recall it being pretty tense!

Avoid scenario D for now: that one favors the defender too.

My recollection of the others is they are reasonably balanced. (Caveat: my copy is loaned out, so I'm relying on memory).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M·ANTONIVS·M·F·M·N
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
Mein Luftkissenfahrzeug ist voller Aale
mbmbmbmbmb
I find as you learn what works and what doesn't the games start to even

Till then pick a map you guys like the look of.....preferably one that has no hills (less rules to worry about) roll up a game on the scenario generator and have at it........it will all work out in the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M·ANTONIVS·M·F·M·N
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
Mein Luftkissenfahrzeug ist voller Aale
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been thinking about this "balanced scenario for new players" thing all morning.....even to dig the playbook out and take a look at it.

When we first started playing this game (CC:P is the first of the series I owned) it was always a blowout for the defender as well. As we play the series more and more I find it has swung in the other direction and "almost" favors the attacker. Our games have become very close and if the defender does win it almost appears as if he has been losing the whole game.....and then they will just squeak out a victory at the end .... it's almost always a really desperate, dramatic defense.

But going back......

We found that the random scenario generator (with an option to reroll a "green" troop quality result) kept things fairly even...... particularly if you both agree ahead of time that you will both play at least a detachment sized organization and make sure the "posture" is "recon" at the end.

This will ensure everybody has a couple of leaders, usually some sort of support weapon, 5 cards each so there is less "hand lock", and it is harder to set up in a way that you are far apart from one another.

Win or lose we found these recon matches to be very fun and lets you shine up your tactics.

I'd even go so far as playing a game with the following set up...... (it is a full on grudge battle with examples of almost every cool thing that you can do in a CC:P game)

Recon 5 cards each

United States Order of Battle

-4th Marine Detachment (29 points)

Japanese Order of Battle

-Okinawa Detachment (20 points)
-Hero (4 points)
-Lieutenant Kusakari (5 points)

I wouldn't recommend this for a really new player but if you guys have the rules down ok this will be a fun way to learn the ins and outs of the game......everybody has a cool force with lots of cool choices.....win or lose this is a CC grudge match and its a blast to play.

*edit* I'm not claiming this is balanced .......it's just not as depressing to get your ass kicked when you command dudes with flamethrowers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Blotner
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Thanks again. We'll try the Scenario Generator and force it to Recon so that we don't have to worry about the "Newbie games favor the defender" syndrome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.