Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I think I'm done with the manual! I'm going to proofread it and PDF it this weekend, maybe adding sections for all the map effects and abilities, etc. like the RtL manual has.

So, I'm off to bigger and badder things in the campaigns, the actual Sector, Encounter, Outpost, and Avatar level maps, the specific Avatar Upgrade cards, the Marine Skill trees (which I think I've got done, just need to finalize it), etc. One area I'm rather weak on is going to be Plots.

In RtL, there is an overarching plot to the game, 7 cards that the Overlord can purchase throughout the campaign (the first and last are free, starting and ending the campaign respectively) that makes life difficult for the heroes. Plus, there is usually a way for the Overlord to win by completing a Plot objective (as opposed to waiting it out till the end). These plots are rather thematic, the Overlord blotting out the sun, or finding an ancient artifact to call down a meteor shower, etc.

I need help coming up with at least 3 plots for Doom's Advanced Campaign. But unfortunately my strength is not in Doom lore, so I turn to you fans to help me come up with an idea for some Plots for the Invader. One plot can be just making life more difficult for the marines. One plot can be special artifacts are found and if all collected, Hell opens and overruns the marines, etc.

Ideas for plots?

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Collins
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should be playing Space Hulk, dude

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ville Vuorio
Finland
Porvoo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not familiar with Descent or what these plots actually do, but I'm somewhat familiar with Doom lore so here's a couple of thematic ideas:

In D3 the invaders's overall goal was to open a larger gate from hell to start the real invasion. This could be a plot (if completed the invader would get tons of more monsters) but this could be the long term goal they wish to accomplish and not a short term objective.

In D3 Betruger (the traitor) wanted the marines to call Earth for help but the marines wanted to keep Mars contained so the invaders could not get to Earth.

One nasty thing the invaders could try is to cut the marines's communications. A marine would certainly be screwed if he found himself in a demon-infested-Mars-base without a walkie-talkie. This would severely harm the marines's ability to coordinate strikes or regroup from the panic.

Invaders could also try to cut the base's power. No power, no lights, no defense turrets, no elevators.

Hope these help

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
raivaaja wrote:
Invaders could also try to cut the base's power. No power, no lights, no defense turrets, no elevators.

What do you mean, "*They* cut the power"? How could they cut the power, man? They're animals!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ville Vuorio
Finland
Porvoo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:
raivaaja wrote:

What do you mean, "*They* cut the power"? How could they cut the power, man? They're animals!

Animals from hell with demonic powers on their side! And clearly they have a higher force guiding them, an overlord one might say (or an invader player).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hart
United States
La Marque
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Could the Invaders invade earth? Ive not seen Desents campign stuff but could you not use war stratigies and goals for what the invaders want to do. If the want to kill everyone could they try and cause the sun to explode or could they infect earth with some killer virus. I would assume that the invader only have a small portal to begin with that allows a few demons to cross into our space. I would guess that the first thing they want to do would be secure that portal then either try and make it bigger or make more. then they might try to take over the marines cities and ships in order to further their expanse to earth. I hope that helps and im not just being stupid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For those not familiar with RtL, the Advanced Campaign is long version of the base game (60+ hrs), played over multiple sessions. The marines start out relatively weak (only one Marine card) and the invader chooses an "avatar" to represent himself in the game (haven't quite figured out what that one is, there's another thread with different ideas going there).

There is a "Mars map" that has 7 Outposts and 30 Sectors. The game begins with communication broken down in all the sectors and the squad (3 marines) are in charge of exploring sectors, discovering what happened and completing various objectives. A sector has 3 "levels" the marines go through, and a level plays out like a typical game of Doom, it has a map, there are invaders spawning, it has it's own objectives to complete, etc. Each level though is about 1/3 the size of a typical Doom mission map, played in about an hour.

As sectors are explored, marines earn Accommodations and the invader earns Frags. Both of these translate into Experience Points that the two sides can spend to improve their sides. Marines earn additional skills, abilities, advanced weapons training, etc. Invader can improve his units, cause general havoc, or improve his Avatar.

Once Accomdations + Frags >= 100, a portal to Hell has opened and the Final Battle begins. The marines explore 5 more levels, the 5th being a level specific to the invader's chosen Avatar. On this last level, it's a climactic fight to the finish (no more respawning after dying) and either the Avatar is killed or the marines die. If the marines survive, they have won the campaign and fought back evil, closing the portal to hell permanently. If they Avatar lives, the invader wins the campaign, overrunning Mars, Earth, and the entire galaxy.

So, how Plot mixes into all this. The marines win the game by making it to the Final Battle and defeating the Avatar. The Invader wins the game by 1) winning the Final Battle, 2) corrupting enough outposts (somewhere between 5 and 7) to overrun humanity's sanity and 3) accomplishing the specific goals of the Plot.

At the beginning of the game, the invader chooses one Plot as the game's plot, and reads the 0-cost card (it starts the campaign). During the campaign, the invader can purchase plot cards (there are 5 more to purchase) as part of his upgrade, spending the appropriate XP (they will cost anywhere between 3 and 5 points). These cards do something to move the plot along (and they might have some restrictions, such as cannot play until the joint tally is greater than 70). Some plot cards will make life more difficult for the marines (something like "The Power Is Out"), some plot cards will make things easier for the invader (give special bonus for corrupting), and some plot cards might add a special token to the map that needs to be collected, but all plot cards follow the general plot-theme.

What those themes should be though, I'm not sure. One could be something like "The Enemy Within" and there is no plot-specific way to win, just all of the plot cards make life more difficult for the marines. One could be "Absolute Power" that maybe makes it easier for the invader to corrupt, or introduces a really powerful Artifact that if the invader collects all the pieces, he wins.

I just don't know enough Doom lore to come up with good Plots that are thematic to the game...

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kuhn
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Shnar, I offered a couple ideas on two of your other threads which I just noticed because I don't come on here every day. They may be crap, but I didn't want you to miss 'em because I put 'em on your other threads.

And for everyone not familiar with Descent, the Plots the Invader player would use would be a thematic goal or goals he would persue over the course of the game with specific objectives he has to meet that the Marines are aware of. The result of his accomplishing his plot is the END of the game. Victory is his. It's an alternate way to win.

So opening a portal to an army they have no chance of defeating is an obvious and fitting Plot. So is destroying a % of the Outposts. Not having seen the rules, would gaining a certain ammount of Corruption be a good Plot goal? What about a plot to kill humans, so Frags would count in the game after all because he's going for a certain number (large number, of course). Perhaps a Plot to bring a # of Lieutenants into play? I'll keep thinkin'.

You're doin' GREAT, Shnar!! Keep it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
willco wrote:
You should be playing Space Hulk, dude

I *am* playing Space Hulk

Biggest problem with SH though is that it's only 2 players, so I usually only get to play it with my son, and not with my gaming group. My group likes Descent's Advance Campaign, and they like Doom, so I'm trying to create the best of both worlds

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
Each level though is about 1/3 the size of a typical Doom mission map, played in about an hour.

thumbsup I have no idea if I'll ever be able to persuade my wife to go through a full 60+ hour campaign, but I am very much looking forward to these smaller levels.

I can't wait to see the manual.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hart
United States
La Marque
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Other than just killing the marines or destroying bases, could the invaders be trying to gain stuff like fuel or some poison. If an outpost has the items needed then the invader could create a posion in order to destroy earth so the marine would need to stop the invaders or take back the bases. Each turn the invaders have a certian base(s) then they might have something move up a a chart like Saurion has in Middleearth quests and if the invader can get enough of what ever it is he wins. Maybe each base could have a resouce that it controls. one base could have fuel, another metal (or something) and a third could have a manufacturing plant. If the invader can control those 3 (or more) bases for X number of turns then he "built" a fleet to invade earth with. Or if he can get the Spaceport base for X turns after controling 2 other science bases (im making this stuff as i go along) then he has build and made a posion and now that he controls the spaceport he can steal 1 ship. I hope this gives you some ideas. If each base had a resoure that it controls and the invader only trys to get some of them then maybe the marine can figure out what he's up to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hrm, I'm going over my notes when I was first designing this, and way back when, I wrote, "PLOTS, are we doing them? Don't think so for Doom..."

I guess I didn't think Plots were Doom-ish. But having pretty much completed the rulebook, I think maybe I do want them back in, as it can play well, a subplot and secondary goal for the invader.

I don't know. Those who have played RtL, do you like what Plots do to the game? Should we have them in Doom?

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kuhn
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Shnar,

When a Tamalir raze isn't in the cards, Plots become a interesting tactic. It's fun for the OL to try to accomplish an objective of his own besides "be a major jerk to the Heroes".

It also adds another dimension to the thought process of the cooperating players.

"Let's clean up Sector 4 on the way to 6."cool

"No way, man! Look! He's got the Cube in Phobos right now! If he gets to Deimos, we're toast!"surprise

Personally, I LOVE that aspect of gameplay. Let's do it! Plots will be easy. We can all contribute.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'm not sure what I was thinking when I wrote that note, since everywhere else in the rulebook that Plots would come up, I filled it in. So, plots are in! Now just need to come up with 3 good ones

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(funnier in person)
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:
raivaaja wrote:

YouTube has failed me in trying to find a clip of this awesome quote from Aliens :T
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hart
United States
La Marque
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
XmenDynasty wrote:
Shnar,
"Let's clean up Sector 4 on the way to 6."cool

"No way, man! Look! He's got the Cube in Phobos right now! If he gets to Deimos, we're toast!"surprise

Destroying the cube could be an invader plot when you put it that way. As an invader I would want the cube destroyed as it could send me back to where I came from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray Lewis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
Good at learning, useless at playing
badge
No secret message here
mbmbmbmbmb
timex wrote:
Could the Invaders invade earth?

I believe that was the plot for Doom II!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
YearoftheCat wrote:
ninjadorg wrote:
raivaaja wrote:

YouTube has failed me in trying to find a clip of this awesome quote from Aliens :T

I know, what's up with that?

This clip summarises all the important elements of the movie though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xf6wNZNM0tU&feature=related

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.