Subject: Card Idea: Mentalist rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
HHHHH
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mentalist

Cost: 1

It lets you guess on one player if he/she has a specific card in his/her hand, if he/she does, it needs to be discarded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
gagawolala wrote:
Mentalist

Cost: 1

It lets you guess once on each player if they has a specific card in their hands, if they do, they need to discard it.

You're being too ambiguous here.

First of all, is this classified as an Attack?

Second of all, if you guess a card, do they need to discard one copy of that card or all copies of that card? That is highly significant, especially if you use it on, say, Copper early in the game, or Treasury when someone is running those.

Third of all, doesn't this make it stupidly easy to target specific players by, say, making one player discard something useful and telling another player to discard a Duchy/something that nobody has bought yet/a Kingdom card that isn't even available/a card that doesn't even exist? Targeted attacks are something that Dominion is specifically designed to avoid.

Fourth of all, since this takes up a slot in your hand and your goal is to try to drain one slot from opponents' hands, I really can't seeing this being too useful if it only forces a discard of one card. Granted, the slot it takes in your hand is random whereas you are targeting strong slots in the opponents' hands, but the fact that this card gives the user no benefit at all - an attribute shared only by the ridiculously powerful Attack that is the Saboteur - and is also a terminal action makes it seem more trouble than it's worth, especially since, even though it's only priced at 1, it still uses up a Buy, which is especially significant early in the game when you have the highest probability of being able to hit something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HHHHH
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
salty53 wrote:

First of all, is this classified as an Attack?

Second of all, if you guess a card, do they need to discard one copy of that card or all copies of that card?

Since your reply, I actually changed the card to target only 1 person only otherwise it would be too powerful.

Yes this is an Attack Card.

They need to discard only 1 copy of that card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
gagawolala wrote:

Since your reply, I actually changed the card to target only 1 person only otherwise it would be too powerful.

Yes this is an Attack Card.

They need to discard only 1 copy of that card.

Two of my complaints were that it seemed weak and was too much of a targeted attack. You responded by... making it weaker and making it a purely targeted attack.

What.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten ◄► Wesel
Germany
Pinneberg-Quellental
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thumbsdown - I don't like to play a lottery when I'm the owner of this card, and I don't like it if someone directly attacks me. If one player is doing so, it may be ok, but if all other players likes to attack only me... No, that's bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HHHHH
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guys, how about help me make this card better?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Tomashewski
United States
Penn Hills
PA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
gagawolala wrote:
Guys, how about help me make this card better?

Where to begin...

I think you need to scrap this idea and start over, since it currently doesn't mesh with some of the apparent design rules of Dominion.

1. Cost 1- no cards cost this, presumably for the same reason why no cards cost 7.
2. Attacking one person- Donald has said repeatedly that he doesn't want to do this.
3. Potentially unlimited hand destruction.

So let's start over.

Mentalist
Action - Attack
Cost: X

Attacks should target every player, and not hit them if they have 3 or less cards in hand. So let's go with this text.

Quote:
Name a Kingdom card. All other players with more than 3 cards in hand must discard a copy of the named card from hand (or reveal a hand with no copies of the named card).

Now that's pretty weak since I made you name just one card that applies to everyone. So maybe you get rid of coppers all around, etc. So let's sweeten it.

Quote:
Name a Kingdom card. All other players with more than 3 cards in hand must discard a copy of the named card from hand (or reveal a hand with no copies of the named card). For each card discarded this way, you may do XYZ

Where XYZ could be drawing cards, gaining money etc. Depending on what you get, I might add a complementary text, like if you are drawing cards you could add +1 action, or if you are getting $ you could add +$1.

Depending on how things work you could make this a cost 4 card, I'd think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
Shewski wrote:

Now that's pretty weak since I made you name just one card that applies to everyone. So maybe you get rid of coppers all around, etc. So let's sweeten it.

Quote:
Name a Kingdom card. All other players with more than 3 cards in hand must discard a copy of the named card from hand (or reveal a hand with no copies of the named card). For each card discarded this way, you may do XYZ

Where XYZ could be drawing cards, gaining money etc. Depending on what you get, I might add a complementary text, like if you are drawing cards you could add +1 action, or if you are getting $ you could add +$1.

I agree that it needs a positive bonus, but having the bonus depend on how many opponents get hit seems like it would lead to scaling problems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Metzger
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are no Cost 1 cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Roney
United States
Ladera Ranch
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
salty53 wrote:
Shewski wrote:

I agree that it needs a positive bonus, but having the bonus depend on how many opponents get hit seems like it would lead to scaling problems.

It scales similarly to Thief. Alternatively, you could give a bonus for hitting anyone (like Pirate Ship), though that makes it easier to target a specific player, I suppose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HHHHH
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
metzgerism wrote:
There are no Cost 1 cards.

Why not ??? This one will be the first ~~~

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.