Subject: To buy, or not to buy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Staffan Åberg
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been thinking of buying TAMSK for awhile now, but can't decide if it should belong to my collection or not.

Here are the pros and cons and somethings I'm not really sure of:

+ Interesting mechanics. I'm a big fan of games that aren't really a bit obscure
+ Good abstract strategy game
+ OOP, which means I have to buy it soon if ever. Went down to my local game shop the other day. They have one (1) copy left.

- Expensive, my friend pointed out that I could get at least 2 great games for the price of this one, is it worth it?
- The timers seem to have some problems (according to the BGG forums) which feels like this could be a big waste of money anyways

? Easy or not? My girlfriend, whom will be the one who will have to play this game with me is not a hard core gamer. Is it easy enough so she will play it more than once with me?

So all this in concern, should I buy it or not?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No. If your girlfriend is your main partner for TAMSK, no. It's an abstract with fast thinking. And mistakes are unforgiving. Not for the casual gamer, I think.

And what's expensive? Over 350 SEK? I've paid € 25; that's cheap. Normally these went for 30, 35 in The Netherlands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it's easy enough for your girlfriend to play, unless she doesn't cope well with time pressure. It's not really a great abstract strategy game, as the speed of play is a factor. I can't comment on how much that might be worth to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maxime Mundel
France
Pfaffenheim
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi !
Kris Burm is a sort of God to me : my sweetheart got the project Gipf games as a present for the birth of our son, we organised a Gipf tournament once, ... but Tamsk left our collection.
It's good to play with timers (just check, mark and "pair" them before playing) but the game is not as good as the others of the project. This one is more a very interesting object than a game you'll come back again and again.
To play often with your girlfriend, Yinsh would probably be a better choice. (Or Lost cities but you probably already have this one, haven't you ?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Staffan Åberg
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, well it costs 429 SEK and it's a local online shop! Well well, Sweden isn't the place to buy games that's for sure soblue
I don't think that just abstract and fast paced is enough to say that she won't like it. Her favourite game is Ingenious. I was more thinking if the strategy part will be too heavy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Staffan Åberg
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mxmm wrote:
To play often with your girlfriend, Yinsh would probably be a better choice. (Or Lost cities but you probably already have this one, haven't you ?)

No, it's not in my collection, great suggestion!
Maybe I'll get both Yinsh and Lost cities, together they're cost the same as TAMSK..

Still I'm very intrigued by the time mechanic in TAMSK... oh, well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Tavener
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
The overtext below is true.
badge
The overtext above is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
Friendless wrote:
Yes, it's easy enough for your girlfriend to play, unless she doesn't cope well with time pressure. It's not really a great abstract strategy game, as the speed of play is a factor. I can't comment on how much that might be worth to you.

Let me just turn John's comment around. To me, it IS a really great strategy game, BECAUSE the speed of play is a factor.

You're really playing a territorial game; however, there are points in the game where you may have a difficult choice between yielding territory to the opponent and losing a piece. The time/scheduling element comes to the fore here; by managing the duration of your moves, and which pieces you move when, you can make sure your opponent is presented with more of these choices than you are.

Not for slow players; but you have at least 15s per move; and often more, so the pace isn't that hurried.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mellon
United States
Erie
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And the great thing about this game is it's fast pace. You can sit down and play a game in 5-10 minutes usually. I have all the GIPF and this is in my top half of the set.

I actually bought this to torture AP people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Maxwell
United States
Burtchville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TAMSK isn't overly complex, but the complexity feels just right given how quickly you have to take your turns. I just got TAMSK myself to finish my GIPF collection (Achievement Unlocked!) and was pretty impressed with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett Warren
United States
Marietta
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love TAMSK. My oldest son gets bit by the AP bug during some of the other GIPF games (and others as well), so TAMSK annoys him a little. My 5 year old son loves TAMSK, and he does pretty well at it.

Just keep my eye out for a more reasonably priced copy*.

* Although since it got kicked out of GIPF and has yet to be re-released, that may be difficult.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Staffan Åberg
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So right now the score is 4-3

I must say that I felt pretty low when the thread started with three "don't buys".

consensus about my cons seems to be:

- Still expensive
~ The timers can be fixed
+ 5-10 minutes of play seems pretty light weight to me. And if a 5-year old can manage it...

So to summarize by now: maybe to buy cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Dolan
United States
Highland Lakes
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy it. TAMSK is a lot of fun and it plays fast. Plus it's one of the original GiPF Project games. If you are any kind of collector you're gonna want it.

Your GF will like it as well. Chicks dig egg timers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Zuccarelli
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to get this game, but my wife is my main gaming partner, and she's pretty much the definition of Analysis Paralysis. I love her to death but good lord

So yea, this game will be better off not at our table
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hulgan
United States
Tucker
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TAMSK is one of my favorite games ever and tied with Shogi for my favorite Abstract game.

The game is really interesting because you have a spacial, area control game on a shrinking board (which is very good without any of the time management issues) and simultaneously you are having to manage the completely different agenda of assessing 6 timers.

It's SOOO good!

I hope you give it a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
Plaatsvervangende Schaamte
badge
mbmbmb
This is my least favorite of the series. I think it is very dry. The game boils down to a Bridges of Koningsburg problem. When I play it, I feel like I am doing a graph theory homework assignment instead of playing a game.

I thought the hour glasses would add something more interesting, but it really didn't for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Smith
Australia
Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmb
I found Tamsk lacked depth compared to the other Gipf games. I liked it, but it kind of felt discovered after twenty plays.

thumbsdown

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Staffan Åberg
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally, I bought it!

Tried it on my girlfriend today - she beat me twice

So I guess she will be willing to play again
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabio Binder
Brazil
Curitiba
PR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Staffie wrote:
Finally, I bought it!

Tried it on my girlfriend today - she beat me twice

So I guess she will be willing to play again

Just curious: Are you still playing after a year?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asbjørn Lie Parmer
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And are you still playing after four years?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabio Binder
Brazil
Curitiba
PR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jazzbjorn wrote:
And are you still playing after four years?

I am not, but I will keep it because it is a fine piece of innovation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.