Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan "Gorno" Fashena
United States
Westchester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It has the appearance of frosted glass, but feels almost fuzzy: a completely different, less artificial, more "friendly" feel. You can preview this by shooting a glob of hot glue onto petroleum jelly-greased foam and popping it off once it cools. (The foam also needs to be greased before casting resin in it.)

P.S. Paper/cardstock gives a matte texture:

It might be suggestive of pelt, leather, or hide if used on a miniature figure -- you could get the paper soggy to curve and shape it before drying and casting.

Gorno
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Gargoyle's Quest" Gameboy, 1990
mbmbmbmbmb
This is great stuff. Thanks for posting your experiments here. I am dying to get some casting materials now and try some stuff out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Gorno" Fashena
United States
Westchester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! I definitely recommend the clear casting (binary mix) epoxy to start with: the low odor and more predictable mixing are worth the slow curing process, especially now that's it's too cold up North to be properly ventilated! Micheal's Crafts Stores sells these (hiding on the bottom shelf in the adhesive section at my local store): if you can get a weekly circular, there's always a "40% off one item" coupon.

I have to confess that my paper-casting technique isn't as perfected as I thought: I have gotten some perfect results with closed-top molds, but I haven't gotten it down to the science I thought I had -- I will keep updating my original post as I continue to refine my technique. Resin is a very oddly behaved substance: it's very self-repulsive so loves to climb walls and overflow, even forcing off a loose lid to make room to form an edge void, but seems to contract in its final curing phase, producing a (smaller) corner void if the lid is tight! This combination is a big challenge to fully closed, self-finishing molds like what I'm trying to do, but I hope I can discover a reliable procedure as I keep experimenting.

Gorno
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.