Subject: Is this game worth buying? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
West Chester
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
So I saw a few copies of this game on amazon and ebay. I really enjoy the steampunk theme, but I'm unsure on how good the game is. Can somebody give me a bit more indepth perspective of the rules? It looks like there are miniature ships, that are small. However I've seen pictures of people who made larger ships that could accommodate 28mm figures. Does this game support either approach, either miniatures or larger scale ships with figures on board?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pressler
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
OMG! Overtext! How long have I been sleeping?! OVERTEXT! Also, I'm a DESIGNER now?! Sweet! OVERTEXXXXXXT!
badge
HO HO HO! Give me some money!
mbmbmbmbmb
The game itself is quite neat, but the minis that come in the box are rather ugly and indistinct. The maps are quite nice, though.

I would recommend getting the combination Sky Galleons of Mars / Cloudships & Gunboats double-book. Sky Galleons is all about the naval-style battles. If you are more interested in playing with characters, C&G brings the action to the men and martians on board. Sky Galleons has boarding actions, but the crew are abstracted; C&G will make it a tactical brawl on the main deck with RPG-type options. (Note, that these are both based on the Space:1889 RPG. Sky Galleons is a light wargame based on the fiction. C&G kind of links the two.)

If you can't find a cheap hardcopy of the double-book, you can get the PDF from the designer at the link below. The PDF also includes the maps from Sky Galleons, which is a nice plus.

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=5...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Cornell
United States
Corunna
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Stikfas Animate Better Than Legos!
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this game a lot when my roommate had it in the late 80's and I loved it. He was very good at keeping track of many things and made playing the game seamless. The boarding parties were abstract, but he really kept the excitement going throughout the play and we always had a blast.

I bought my own copy several years later and have had trouble getting people to play it with me. My son is 10 now and I'm planning to introduce it to him soon, if I can pry him away from the Wii.

Is it worth buying? Definitely. Will you have as much fun playing it as I did? It all depends on how enthusiastic your opponents will be and if you enjoy what is essentially a 3-D naval battle game with 19th century weapons over a planetary map of Mars. It is very steampunk in its nature and that's what got me excited about it initially. I kept going back to play because of the ability to try out new things.

You can start with simple ships with small crews with hand-cranked power systems without boarding marines. You can upgrade to sailing ships who depend on the wind direction for their maneuvering, and later, try one of the steam-powered mega ships with a full complement of marines to board and take over your opponent's ships.

Great Fun in my book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jaques-Watson
Australia
flag msg tools
GaryP wrote:
The game itself is quite neat, but the minis that come in the box are rather ugly and indistinct.

One of the Challenge mags had instructions on how to alter and scratchbuild ships.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
David "Hyphen" Jaques-Watson Beowulf Down (Tavonni/Vilis/SM 1520)
http://www.tip.net.au/~davidjw davidjw ..at.. pcug.org.au
"I file things in historical order, with a hashing algorithm of gravity"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.