Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A Derk appears from the mists...
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The time has come. We are now looking to find a few good people to help bring this into being. Post here if you're interested in helping out. Post what makes you qualified to be an admin for this next phase of the Geekdo experience. Please keep in mind, we need only a few people with a good handle on a broad range of video games, and database modeling experience is a good thing. This will be taking form in the coming weeks, but we'd like to get a feel for who's interested...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Grazier
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my boardgame demoing website! www.geek-craft.com
badge
Near northeast Ohio? Come to one of my game nights! www.geek-craft.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Video games are the one thing I have more of than board games (320 vs 270). I've got all current generation systems, read various websites to keep up to date, keep a personal database (through GamePedia, an app for Mac) and enjoy working with databases as well.

I'm not sure what other information to include here, but I'm willing to answer any questions posed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a software developer with a good background in database development and data modeling, in particular with semantic technologies.

I also have experience with Endeca and Lucene/Solr (if you want to go open source and free) and have much experience with SOA and various web technologies.

Let me know if you want a detail CVS.

Sounds like fun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I will not rest until Biblios is in the Top 100. - Steve Oksienik
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Well I been watchin' while you been coughin, I've been drinking life while you've been nauseous, and so I drink to health while you kill yourself and I got just one thing that I can offer... Go on and save yourself and take it out on me
mbmbmbmbmb
When Videogamegeek makes you guys rich, please don't forget all the little people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Case
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a game while watching a video ... is that what we're talking about?
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Minkoff
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
Dum, Dum, Dum dum dum, Dum!
badge
"Money isn't everything, but it's a tie-breaker in Power Grid!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I don't know about being an admin, but I could definitely help with the data entry. I have a TON of PC and video games going back to the C=64 and Amiga days of the '80s. I have all of the latest systems, and have worked in IT for over 15 years, though I haven't done any DBA stuff in a looooong time. I do work with Directories, though, and they are DBs of a sort, just not relational type... I'd love to help any way that I can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Minkoff
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
Dum, Dum, Dum dum dum, Dum!
badge
"Money isn't everything, but it's a tie-breaker in Power Grid!"
mbmbmbmbmb
BTW, any plans to support the PSN IDs like you guys do with the XBox gamertags? devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
stormseeker75 wrote:
When Videogamegeek makes you guys rich, please don't forget all the little people.

Board games are still our first love, Steve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Strope
United States
kansas city
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be interested. Not really sure what kind of help you need, but if I can help i will. I'm a long time video game player, over 25 years with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Platt
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
STOP POKING MEEEE!
badge
This is not my pokerface... I'm just really dull.
mbmbmbmbmb
In terms of video games, I've owned everything from those damned home pong knockoffs to two of the three current console systems. That said, sometimes my choices were a bit esoteric (I actually lobbied for a TG-16 instead of a Genesis or SNES, and mourn the cluster that occured by releasing the 7800 two years late). As for PC gaming... well, I don't have an 8GB 4TB system with four 28" screens to do the home budget.

My professional experience in data modeling is likely limited compared to some of the users around here, likely. However, when our school's guidance counselor found the new software mandated by the district to be wanting for purposes of student registration and class assignment, I wrote what is basically a pre-registration system. It generates student class request forms as reports based on the classes our teachers request. We then use the completed forms to generate all of the class request data for the school. The data furnished by our students is oriented in a way that allows her to easily use a batch entry method that was otherwise impractical. It cut her work time in third, she stopped having to give the school free hours, and now she is VERY accommodating to me when I want to make changes to my classroom curriculum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukas Litzsinger
United States
Falcon Heights
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted to say I am very excited as I've always wanted a BGG for video games, and wish everyone working on this the best of luck. I'm willing to do whatever I can to help, but seeing how I've never had any IT experience I doubt that is much.

GREAT news though, how ever long away it is! thumbsupthumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hazen
United States
Bloomfield
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they are talking about Atmosfear where you are watching a video that influences the board game you play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Lee
United States
Milan
MI
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zenchristo wrote:
I think they are talking about Atmosfear where you are watching a video that influences the board game you play.
It's for all the video reviews that everyone likes these days. Video reviews of Agricola, video reviews of Pandemic, it's all the rage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Next: books.geekdo.com tv.geekdo.com and movies.geekdo.com

The "other" sites aren't as good as this site could be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Manning
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
designer
err... I like boardgames!?!
badge
D'oh! I bought overtext even though I have nothing interesting to say.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, I always thought of BGG as being like a boardgame version of MobyGames. I'll be interested in seeing how you differentiate your product from theirs.

If you were microsoft, you'd just buy them and rebrand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Goddard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Quickbar isn't working when I go to videogame.geekdo.com. I'm NEVER using it until you fix this thing!!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul M
United States
Elkhart
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lemme know when you get around to cigars.geekdo.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Wynn
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
I love Nintendo as well!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will say this. You are going to have a tough time stealing any traffic away from www.GameFaqs.com.

They are a very established version of what it seems you are going to be putting together by creating videogame.geekdo.

Just saying, it has all of the same features, minus your rating system. Theirs is a little different. But overall you give the same results. I have to agree with some other posters that perhaps the time you would spend creating that site could be used to enhance this one. In whatever form that could be.

I don't mean to be a stickler, but video games is an area that will be very difficult for a new site to stake a claim in.

I wish you the best of luck though, and I will certainly use it over my GameFaqs account, presuming it is better (and I surely hope it is!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy McKinney
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be interested. I have a huge passion for video games. The first system I owned was the NES, but I had an Atari and Intellivision in the house before that as well. Since the NES, I've had just about every major video game system, only missing out on a few (Jaguar, Sega CD/Saturn, and 3DO, etc). This includes almost every major american handheld (Lynx, Gameboy, Gamegear, Gameboy/Color/Advance/DS, PSP).

I don't have much to offer in terms of Database programming, but if you need someone with a passion for games to help our filling out said database, I'd love to help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Henry
United States
Anaheim
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GiantBomb.com is also in a similar vain to GameFAQs.

I wish you guys the best of luck. There are alot of people in the Video Game business. I tried to run a site for a bit and it was a killer. It's just such a crowded space, some many people fighting to get traffic.

Fight the good fight!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bush
United States
Radiant
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heh, u r pwned by my masive sklllz!!!!

Prepare for the dumbing. Oh wait, I won't have to deal with them will I?

Admins, you have my deepest sympathy. La dee dah
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy McKinney
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sidewynnder wrote:
I will say this. You are going to have a tough time stealing any traffic away from www.GameFaqs.com.

They are a very established version of what it seems you are going to be putting together by creating videogame.geekdo.

Just saying, it has all of the same features, minus your rating system. Theirs is a little different. But overall you give the same results. I have to agree with some other posters that perhaps the time you would spend creating that site could be used to enhance this one. In whatever form that could be.

I don't mean to be a stickler, but video games is an area that will be very difficult for a new site to stake a claim in.

I wish you the best of luck though, and I will certainly use it over my GameFaqs account, presuming it is better (and I surely hope it is!).

I don't really agree. I would consider RPGNet to have a bigger grasp on the RPG market than GameFAQs does on the video game market. It's all circumstantial, but I haven't personally known a big video game user to have even glanced at GameFAQs in years. In fact, most fans I know are more likely to be fans of IGN, GiantBomb, or Gamespot. And those sites obviously don't match the type of work being done here.

Ultimately, it's hard to know if something like this will succeed. But if they are able to compete with RPGNet, GameFAQs shouldn't be a problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Giantbomb is only a few years old. I think we can do what they do, only better. I think it's a big difference to remove the 'rockstars' in Gerstmann et al. Egalitarianism is the key to our success, and I think there's plenty of room in the videogame realm. As for Mobygames, well, it's kinda dead. We really do specialize in creating communities, which happen to be about various topics...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico Solitander
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck guys - I think it's great that you have ambitions!

My only concern is that the very little I have seen of those who frequent forums for videogames is that there's a lot of agro, flaming and trolling going on, 11 year-old illiterate vikings at a banquet. I hope there's no spillover effect into BGG.

I'm a casual gamer at the most and I once went to a very established videogamesite to ask a question about an old game I was looking for - I would never do that again...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leif Norcott
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Saberj wrote:
Sidewynnder wrote:

I don't really agree. I would consider RPGNet to have a bigger grasp on the RPG market than GameFAQs does on the video game market. It's all circumstantial, but I haven't personally known a big video game user to have even glanced at GameFAQs in years. In fact, most fans I know are more likely to be fans of IGN, GiantBomb, or Gamespot. And those sites obviously don't match the type of work being done here.

Ultimately, it's hard to know if something like this will succeed. But if they are able to compete with RPGNet, GameFAQs shouldn't be a problem.

You realize GameFAQs is part of Gamespot right? Also it is by far the greatest for user information which is the parallel to BGG. My vote though goes more towards aggregations of all these sites for offical reviews such as gamerankings.com or metacritic.com. I think the added ability to track my games owned and what my comments/ratings will be a nice edition from gameFAQs so go for it and GL Derk and others!

P.S. I am a software developer with tons of gaming actively and in the past, owning every system under the moon except PS3 so far. My web experience has been JSF, Hibernate, and some GWT though I also have Perl, PHP and MySQL and some other junk. Hopefully there is a test or something lol cause no idea how to sell it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [10] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.