Agricola» Forums » Sessions

Subject: All that and a tavern (Solo) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
This is the 8th and last of a series of solo games. The permanent occupations I kept from previous games are:

Fence Overseer - When you build a stable, fence it in for almost free.
Master Brewer - Convert 1 grain to 3 food in the harvest.
Mason - Add a room to your 4+ room stone house for free.
Market Woman - When you take vegetables, also take 2 grain.
Renovator - Pay 2 less clay or stone to renovate.
Conservator - Renovate directly from wood to stone.
Church Warden - Take some free wood, and 3 bonus points at the end of the game is 5 family members worked.

Someone pointed out to me I should start with some extra food depending on how far you exceeded the target score in the previous game. I had neglected that rule for all the other games in the series, and I decided not to use it now. I already have enough advantages.

In my last session report, I complained about hitting a ceiling of points, there being no more sources of points in the game except for a few that required resources that would never be available in the game. I said that to do better, I'd need a minor improvement worth more points. This time I found one: the Tavern. This minor improvement becomes an action space that you can take for 2 points.

I also had some other interesting stuff. The Riding Plow lets you plow really efficiently, but in my previous games I found that I had enough free time that sometimes there were lulls and nothing better to do than plow. Also, it costs too much wood. That was also the problem with the Wood-Fired Oven. The Wooden Hut Extension was something I had made good use of before, but now I had such an efficient sequence for building my house down that I didn't want to mess with it. I did draw a few other minor improvements that we're not spectacular, but were cheap and actually turned out rather well.

Unfortunately, the sheep space didn't turn up until the last round of stage I, so it was utterly impossible to get a breeding population of sheep in the first harvest. With the extra time I saved by not having to build stables and take sheep, I plowed two extra fields. I considered plowing one extra, taking an extra grain, and sowing two fields. But they would still be occupied by the time vegetables came up and I wanted to sow vegetables. I decided it was more useful to have the fields ready for the vegetables and extra grain I would get with them.

With no sheep to breed or even eat, I had to fish for my food, which I did in round 3. I did go ahead and take the clay and get the Cooking Hearth, so that I wouldn't have to do that in my busy stage II.

In the first round of stage II, I took 10 wood and 5 reeds. Then in the second round, family growth came up, just in time. I built my two wooden rooms. I had enough wood for two stables, but I wanted to save some wood for a minor improvement I wanted. So I just built one stable and fenced it in. I took family growth, and with it the Spindle, which gets you 1/2 extra food when you have 3/5 sheep.

In the last round of the stage I first took the 4 sheep. I took family growth again. By using the Cattle Market (trade 1 sheep for 1 cow) as my bonus minor improvement, I was able to get just enough food that I didn't have to eat any of my remaining three sheep, and was able to use the Spindle to get 1 food. I continued to do really well about not eating my sheep in following harvests, and eventually the Spindle was generating 2 food per harvest.

In the first round of stage III, I took stone to renovate my house. I also took clay, so I could get the Clay Oven as my bonus major improvement. Then I renovated, the Mason gave me a bonus room, and I took family growth again. With it I got the Carp Pond, which gives a food on every other upcoming round space.

This was the fastest yet I had made it to my complete family and stone house. I had six full rounds left. Of course I had to spend most of the second round of stage III getting ready to feed my large family. I took vegetables with 2 grain, sowed a vegetable and a grain, and cooked the other grain for 5 food in my Clay Oven. I also took 8 wood and built the rest of my stables, fencing one in. The boars came out in the second round of the stage, so it wasn't possible to start breeding them yet.

At the start of stage IV my plan was similar to the previous games. I'd take stone and build a major improvement just about every round. Of course the first was the Tavern, so I could then go to visit it for 2 points each round (including this one). I also got the boars to start breeding.

Next round I got the Well. The cows also came out in the second round of the stage, so I couldn't start them breeding yet.

In the first round of stage V, reeds had gotten back up to 7, so I took them and some stone and built the Basketmaker's Workshop, with enough reeds left over for maximum bonus points. I also went ahead and took the 2 cows, keeping them temporarily in my two unfenced stables.

In the second round of stage V, I didn't build a major improvement. I considered the Joinery, but it would have been worth 0 bonus points, and if I spent the wood I couldn't build quite as big a pasture. That would limit me from getting maximum animal points, and require an extra plow action to fill my farmyard. It would effectively take me at least 3 actions: take stone, major improvement, and an extra take stone needed for the Pottery next round, and one more to plow an extra field if I didn't want to lose a point. It would be worth 2 points and cost me 0-2 that I would have been able to get for getting maximum animal points. I decided to build the big pasture.

In the last round, I took clay and stone and built the Pottery. With my last action I took plow/sow to fill my farmyard and plant two vegetable and two grain to make sure I got maximum points for those, with a little left over to eat.

Of course in all these last five rounds I always went to the Tavern.

Scoring

4 for 5 fields
4 for 4 pastures
4 for 9 grain
4 for 4 vegetables
4 for 8 sheep
4 for 7 boars
3 for 4 cattle
-0 for 0 unused Farmyard spaces
4 for 4 fenced stables
10 for 5 stone rooms
15 for 5 family members

56 subtotal

3 for Church Warden for 5 family members working in the last round
1 for Cooking Hearth
2 for Clay Oven
1 for Carp Pond
2 for Tavern
10 bonus points on Tavern
4 for Well
2 for Basketmaker's Workshop
3 for 5 reed on Basketmaker's Workshop
2 for Pottery
2 for 5 clay on Pottery

32 subtotal
88 total

So, as expected, I did better in this game with the Tavern giving me an extra source of points. Surprisingly, I did almost 10 points better, which was the bonus value of the Tavern, although I had to spend extra actions to get those 10 points. I also felt more at a disadvantage that the animal spaces came out in the last round of each of their stages, but it doesn't seem to have set me back too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Rice
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You're killing it! I'd be interested to see how far you can go with this campaign. Are you going to continue with the +1 occupation, +1 point target?

I really wonder if anyone's got to 20 or 30 occupations? From the sounds of it MorningStar, you could get to 20 occs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
alibimonday wrote:
You're killing it! I'd be interested to see how far you can go with this campaign. Are you going to continue with the +1 occupation, +1 point target?

I really wonder if anyone's got to 20 or 30 occupations? From the sounds of it MorningStar, you could get to 20 occs.

I think the rule is you keep playing with the same 7 occupations. You don't deal any new ones. And no, I'm not going to continue. It's not fun any more with the same occupations. It's too repetitive with nearly the same early-game sequence every time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.