Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
edwin pumarejo
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
so which one? I am looking to sneak ninja a new game into my collection and have narrowed it down to these two. Now im turning to the great collective mind of BGG to help me with my pick.

main points:

1. great solo.
2. easy to teach(pick up and play).

if you have played both and could list pos/neg it would be a great help.
thanks.

edited (update game form dt1 to dt2 with solo play rules built in)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Thunderstone or Dungeon Twister?
I don't know if either work as solo games.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/168850/solo-play

I was wrong!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you played Dominion? Do you like it? If so, choose Thunderstone.
I assume you've played Chess. If you prefer something like that, choose Dungeon Twister.

I don't think there's any option for ST solo. That would be like solo Chess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Freedom Rider - Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers
badge
The Brief and Frightening Reign of Phil - George Saunders
mbmbmbmbmb
The new Dungeon Twister comes with solo rules, so if that's a big factor go that way. I haven't played Thunderstone, but I know it's like Dominion which isn't something I'd consider as being very good for solo play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Miller
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
Wow you hovered. I'm honored.
badge
My Dog Has Fleas
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually picked up Dungeon Twister Prison for Christmas and it looks like it will be a good solo game (has an entire rulebook for the solo variant). Since a lot of the items are randomly drawn/rolled it will be different every time and there are varying difficulty levels you can choose.

Thunderstone is on my watch list and looks good but it doesn't support solo AFAIK.

Edit: basically what Orwell said

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Huntley
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/49890/official-thunder...

There are solo rules posted for Thunderstone (as noted above) - just a FYI, in case you haven't seen them yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
edwin pumarejo
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cool thanks for the solo rules

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Would
United Kingdom
Hucknall
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
I assume you've played Chess. If you prefer something like that, choose Dungeon Twister.

Never got this thing for comparing DT to chess. The two games are alike in that they use squares and don't use dice. Very different games mechanics wise, it's like saying playing Dominion is like playing Poker as both use cards.

For solo play DT2 is designed for solo play, and DT2 does it very well. I have not played Thunderstone, but it sounds more like a set of rules to make it play solo rather than a game engine built for it.

DT2 is also a very confrontational game for 2 players, and if that is the sort of game you are looking for then consider it. However it is a real brain burner so if you want a light relaxed game I'd look more at Thunderstone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cartwright
United Kingdom
Spilsby
LINCS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Was easy for me to decide when I was looking at these two games and which to get. Thunderstone £29, Dungeon Twister 2 £46!!!, that's far to much to pay for a solo game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Freedom Rider - Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers
badge
The Brief and Frightening Reign of Phil - George Saunders
mbmbmbmbmb
Rindel wrote:
Was easy for me to decide when I was looking at these two games and which to get. Thunderstone £29, Dungeon Twister 2 £46!!!, that's far to much to pay for a solo game.

It's not just a solo game of course, and the figurines add a lot to the cost. I bought the original Dungeon Twister, with the cardboard standups, for about half what the new one costs.

Still, £46 sounds awfully high. $44.79 is the price at Boards and Bits. It seems odd that a game from a French company would cost so much more in a Common Market country than it does in the United States.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Would
United Kingdom
Hucknall
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
..... It seems odd that a game from a French company would cost so much more in a Common Market country than it does in the United States.

UK game prices at the moment for most games are very high as they are bought in at the dollar or euro price, and the pound has dropped a lot from what it was 2 years ago (about 25% from memory)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cartwright
United Kingdom
Spilsby
LINCS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know DT2 isn't just a solo game but I would mainly be playing it solo if I bought it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.