Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Draw Otherworld encounter right away or wait until encounter round? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Hanson
United States
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm probably just not reading the rules right, but with all of the various resources I've printed out I might be in rule overload.

So, the question is this:

When I'm taking my movement turn and enter a gate, I shoot directly to the other world. Should I draw a card right then and perform the encounter, or do I wait for the encounter phase. The latter seems intuitively correct, but I seem to have seen a rule that says to draw the card immediately.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phase 2: End movement on a gate

Phase 3: Move through the gate instead of having an Arkham encounter

Phase 4: Have an OW encounter.

Follow the phases and you will see you have an OW encoutner the same turn you move into the gate. it is even possible to have an Arkham encounter that opens a gate and then you have an OW encounter right away (in the next phase).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
The heroes we deserve!
mbmbmbmbmb
As the game works in Phases, each Investigator performs their actions in each phase before the next phase begins. Therefore, this is how you should play it:

Movement Phase: Move to location with gate (other Investigators perform movement in turn)
Arkham Encounter Phase: Since there is an open gate in your new location, and you have not yet explored that gate, your Encounter would be to be pulled through the gate instead of your normal encounter. Other Investigators have their Encounters in Arkham in turn.
Other World Encounter Phase: Since you are now in the first location of an other world, you would draw an Other World card until you match the color of your world. Then other Investigators in Other Worlds would draw cards in turn if applicable.
Mythos Phase: After all Investigators have completed their Other World encounters, draw a Mythos Card and, in my experience, get your clock cleaned by the game goo

Therefore, you do not necessarily draw an Other World card immediately when you move to the Other World unless you are the last Investigator to take their Arkham Encounter Phase (which would end that phase) and the only Investigator in an Other World (which would mean you get to have your Other World encounter first).

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After you get into the swing of things and comfortable w/ the game flow, you don't have to rigidly do all the phases as a group. For example, we generally do encounters, starting with the First Player that round, clockwise. It doesn't matter if someone is in an Outer World or chilling at Ma's Boarding House. We just go around the table. Especially since many times someone's "encounter" is shopping. We give them their however many cards to browse through and start doing other people's turns. Gives them more time to decide what to buy, and we aren't waiting on them to pick one.

Cameron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.