Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Ghost Stories: White Moon» Forums » Variants

Subject: Is Mystic Barrier too powerful? YES IT IS rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jean-guy bolduc
Canada
sherbrooke
quebec
flag msg tools
I just read the "Is Mystic Barrier too powerful" post and I agree. It is too powerful. I'm suprise that the Game Designer have nothing to said about it! You just have to let a curse die be rolled or an useless villager die and you move Su-Ling in a corner to put an availabe moon stone on a receptacle. If you repeat the strategy forever, hell game become near easy. Surely, barrier is too powerful. In my future game session, I'll limit the game to two barriers. One for the taoists with or without Su-Ling and one for the reward of saving the family that get you a barrier. I think that hell stay hell and easy stay easy.

I'm curious about views of other players. Please, if you find a better solution than mine, write on the forum. I'll read you.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmb
My current house rule is that Su-Ling can place only the crystals that she "owns" (initially none). The action of the Altar of Tao (by far the most useless tile in my games) is now changed to: "Su-Ling gets a crystal from the reserve (if there are any; otherwise this action has no effect).".

You could have continued the discussion in the other thread you mention, in any case.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jean-guy bolduc
Canada
sherbrooke
quebec
flag msg tools
thanks! I'll try this in my next game session. Very good idea.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
platon1971 wrote:
I just read the "Is Mystic Barrier too powerful" post and I agree. It is too powerful.

Is this theoretical, or have you played a few times?

Quote:
You just have to let a curse die be rolled or an useless villager die and you move Su-Ling in a corner to put an availabe moon stone on a receptacle. If you repeat the strategy forever, hell game become near easy.

Without Green re-roll in play, you can see some nasty results (multiple haunt rolls can be terrible). I like seeing more curses rolled (it's something you can typically avoid doing much if at all in the base game), but this can be very nasty (there is a reason to typically avoid it, after all).

I'm still exploring White Moon, and I've seen a lot of variability so far. My first game was (too) easy, my second, basically pointless because of an early Shapeless Evil (killed 3, including a Sheng) and a dead Wu. Other two were up for grabs and quite interesting. I'd love to see you or Luca post a log (VASSAL does it for you, so it's not too onerous) of these "near easy" wins on Hell. I'm always curious about other people's approaches, and in this game, it's easy to imagine a rule or two that either I've missed or you've missed.

Quote:
I'll limit the game to two barriers. One for the taoists with or without Su-Ling and one for the reward of saving the family that get you a barrier.

It's a nice, simple variant, and is barely even a rule change, so I like it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julius Alexander
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
I just remove su-ling's ability to put anything in the diases. If you force mystic barrier the game is too easy. Remove her ability to do that and the game becomes refreshing hard again.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
What about limiting the Mystic Barrier exorcism rolls to 3 dice instead of 4? That's how Kung Fu School works. Has anyone tried this? I just got the expansion yesterday, so I'm itching to try it out.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
They come with fire, they come with axes... gnawing, biting, breaking, hacking, burning! Destroyers and usurpers, curse them!
badge
When Summer lies upon the world, and in a noon of gold, Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold; When woodland halls are green and cool, and wind is in the West, Come back to me! Come back to me, and say my land is best!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
platon1971 wrote:
In my future game session, I'll limit the game to two barriers. One for the taoists with or without Su-Ling and one for the reward of saving the family that get you a barrier. I think that hell stay hell and easy stay easy.


UnderSeven wrote:
I just remove su-ling's ability to put anything in the diases.


mjacobsca wrote:
What about limiting the Mystic Barrier exorcism rolls to 3 dice instead of 4?


Bump. I like all of these suggestions. Any updates on whether it actually makes the game any harder, and which one seems to do the best job? Or maybe it's best to use them together? Thanks.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Freedom Rider - Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers
badge
The Brief and Frightening Reign of Phil - George Saunders
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread should be moved to the Variants folder.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.