1 , 2  Next »   | 

Stone Age» Forums » General

Subject: Similar Game Recommendations rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sven L
msg tools
mbmb
Just played my first couple of games of Stone Age with my wife and I was shocked by how much she loved it (way more than I did - perhaps the fact that she slaughtered me helped). Pandemic, the other game that arrived, was not nearly as well received. She liked the co-operation but thought that it lacked re-playability.

Anyway I am interested in getting another game/s with similar mechanics to Stone Age (a little more complex would be good) and am looking for recommendations. So far Agricola is at the top of my list (I have never played it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like the worker placement aspect, Agricola is a good choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt feldman
United States
Maple Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
settlers? also uses dice, also has to do with grabbing resources to build your civ. also pretty easy, plays in about the same time frame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agricola is a good jump in complexity - the feeding aspect is similar, yet tougher in Agricola.

I'd also suggest Cuba and Cuba: El Presidente based on buildings and the use of cards.

Caylus is another outstanding game for worker placement, resource management, and building/VP's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
Ewing
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Christmas Card Exchange: 2009 - 2014
badge
I play at EPGS on the 1st and 3rd Saturday of the month and if you live in Eastern PA, Western NJ or Northern DE ... you should too!
mbmbmbmbmb
jojobinks wrote:
settlers? also uses dice, also has to do with grabbing resources to build your civ. also pretty easy, plays in about the same time frame.

I though Settlers doesn't play well with 2 people? I ask because my wife likes Stone Age as well and I'm always looking for new games to intrtoduce her to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven L
msg tools
mbmb
I think I'll try Cuba and Agricola first and then move onto the more intimidating Caylus (although I am really tempted). Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see how Caylus can be more intimidating than Agricola. Agricola's breath of options is too much for even some experienced gamers.

Still, recommending either of them as a basic step up for someone that hasn't mentioned any other games he likes seems rather reckless to me.

Cuba seems like a step that makes a lot more sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven L
msg tools
mbmb
I am just starting out so am unable to give a comprehensive list of games that I enjoy - hopefully will be able to do this very soon...

Will give Cuba a go first. Baby steps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Lorenzen
Denmark
Brøndby
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Pillars of the Earth
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Holmes
Canada
Caledonia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All four women I have played this game with fell in love with Stone Age. I did not get a similar result when I showed them Agricola. It IS very similar but it's much more dry, calculated, unforgiving and a step up in complexity. Agricola was the game I was most excited to test with them and Stone Age was supposed to be the bridge. I still like the game, and they don't necessarily hate it, but it just didn't get the reaction I expected whereas Stone Age is easily one of their favourites.

I would recommend Kingsburg as I find it similar enough but not SO similar it feels like the same game. Note that I haven't had a chance to test it yet with any of them but I am confident they will like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
We always have time for the things we put first.
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingsburg is a good idea. Also take a look at Livingstone, which is a similar weight to Stone Age, and incorporates dice in an interesting way.

Although some people play Settlers with 2 and enjoy it, Settlers of Catan: the Card Game or Candamir: the First Settlers would probably be better choices.

I very much like Agricola, love building my farm. Great replayability (we're over 80 plays and counting). With some patience and practice, the rules and actions become second nature.

Another idea might be Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Age of Empires III has a similar worker placement/removal aspect, without the luck factor of the dice; instead, the kind of "worker" you place can influence what you get. There's also more jockeying for position than in Stone Age. I'm a big fan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ElCid91 wrote:
jojobinks wrote:

I though Settlers doesn't play well with 2 people? I ask because my wife likes Stone Age as well and I'm always looking for new games to intrtoduce her to.

There are a few good variants that play well with 2. I reviewed some with my wife a while ago:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/155936/romantic-island-get-a...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
svenl wrote:
I think I'll try Cuba and Agricola first and then move onto the more intimidating Caylus (although I am really tempted). Thanks!

Caylus isn't intimidating. Agricola is slightly more so just because it has so many cards. But it has a family version that will eas you into it.

My only word of warning is not to dive too deeply into all the different worker placement games, They can get a bit repetitive if those are the only titles you are getting. Yes, each is unique but I find that Stone Age can't be beat for a quicker worker placement game. I would gladly have skipped a few of my older ones and just waited for this had I known.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ægir Æxx
Iceland
Reykjavik
Gullbringusysla
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agricola.

Le Havre is also a good choice, since you're think about a two player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ChillusMaximus wrote:
Agricola.

Le Havre is also a good choice, since you're think about a two player game.

Le Havre is much longer. We can play Agricola in an hour; Le Havre is 2. It might be a bit of a jump. If I was going to suggest a different Rosenburg game, it'd be Loyang.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mb
I found The Pillars of the Earth to be very similar, but more complex. It's the easiest recommendation to make.

I've also found that by adding players and switching strategies in Stone Age the replayability becomes apparent far quicker than other games - just last week I played a game with a new player who seemed to have have no visible strategy, but won easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Stackurski
United States
Mankato
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I love almost all games, play Boardgames with my wife, have three kids, generally enjoy cats and understand and like those bumper stickers with the little fishies sprouting legs.
badge
This happy cat is excited about new board games!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like Science Fiction themes keep an eye on the upcoming Alien Frontiers. Its mechanics seem to be somewhere between Stone Age and Kingsburg.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
indigopotter wrote:
Le Havre is much longer. We can play Agricola in an hour; Le Havre is 2.

I suspect that's more to do with your 87 to 3 play ratio.

I've played both almost equally, and I've found Agricola just as long. They're both very long games, until you become very familiar with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Incao
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Buy Stronghold Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Stone Age was my gateway game. I would recommend Tribune: Primus Inter Pares and Kingsburg

Agricola and Caylus are also great games but have at a higher level of depth and complexity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
indigopotter wrote:
Le Havre is much longer. We can play Agricola in an hour; Le Havre is 2.

I suspect that's more to do with your 87 to 3 play ratio.

I've played both almost equally, and I've found Agricola just as long. They're both very long games, until you become very familiar with them.

Granted, some of that is familiarity with the game. I'm sure with time, Le Havre would get faster. Even so, Agricola's given playing time is 120 mins, and Le Havre's is 150.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven L
msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for all the great recommendations and thoughts - am now going to blow the budget completely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Giants

A very challenging worker placement game. It's been well-received in our game group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not seen these so far......
To Court The King - might be pressing the envelope of the similarities between Stone Age and worker placement games. You roll lots of dice to collect cards that represent characters in the Kings court. They give you various special abilities. There are no resources in the game and the object is NOT to score the most VP, but to roll the best of 7 of the same kind with d6's

Puerto Rico - has a good unofficial 2p variant I here. Resource management, and the concept of "turning stuff into VP" is there. In fact, check out this geeklist I made. Perhaps you'll find somehting to suit your tastes there....

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/49139/games-that-have-...

Endeavor - Has geography, resource management, and placement of your bits matters

Already recommended, but I'll back up those recommondations to give 'em more "weight"

Kingsburg - easier to learn, but typically longer to play. I'd say tack on about another 30min to whatever your 2p times are for Stone Age

Agricola - may be too much in complexity for you guys, but I may very well be just wrong. It gets mixed reactions is all across both experienced and relatively new gamers.
Caylus - Ditto here as well
for both of the above, also use the theme to drive you. Also the fact that Caylus' luck only comes in the order buildings come out, where as Agricola can also be card driven

Pillars Of The Earth - this is a lighter version of the above 2. Still has around the depth of Stone Age though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Alleman
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingsburg and Agricola. I like all three and they all play well with two and have similar elements yet are different enough that you won't feel like the games are too interconnected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.