Popular Tags: [View All]
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a cardboard unit in a tactical wargame.

Pedantic moment #1
My movement is from the centre of one hex to the centre of an adjacent hex.
I am currently in a woods hex, I move to the edge of this hex and into the centre of an open hex, it costs me 1 movement point to do this. I return back to the woods hex at the exact same pace and follow the exact same route yet it costs me 2 movement points....Why oh why does it take me twice as long to complete the same journey?

Pedantic moment #2

Here is a section of a map, the white hexes are low level, the yellow hexes are a level one hill.

"A" is my unit and "B" is the enemy unit with the hill in between us. Most LOS rules will allow both my unit and the enemy unit to see each hex of the hill but not each other. In order for both units to see every hex of the hill that hill must be at a lower height then both units and therefore allow the 2 units to see each other. Try drawing the hill so that both units can see every hex of the hill but not each other, it's impossible!

Pedantic moment over
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Le-Roy Karunaratne
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
#1. I assume that is because it takes two 'time' to move into woods and set up firing positions and conceal yourself. In an open hex it is just the time to move into the position. There is no cover, so no time is spent setting up. I do understand that you are being sarcastic. But I like to find reason everywhere

#2. I simply don't understand what you are saying. B should not be able to see the hill hexes adjacent to A and vice versa. However, if the hill was one hex wide then both units could see the top of the hill but not each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
#1 - Assuming you're entering an area cautiously, watching for enemy movements, it's faster going from rough terrain to open terrain than the other way around even if you take the same path. (But mostly, this system is just the easier one to use.)

whatambush wrote:

Here is a section of a map, the white hexes are low level, the yellow hexes are a level one hill.

"A" is my unit and "B" is the enemy unit with the hill in between us. Most LOS rules will allow both my unit and the enemy unit to see each hex of the hill but not each other.

Huh? I haven't played every tactical game out there, but the standard "layer cake" model as practiced by ASL and others only lets you see the first hex along an LOS. So each unit could see only the two hexes on its own side. Seems OK to me. Of course, there are all kinds of other issues with Hill LOS in that case, as there are with every Hill LOS system I've seen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elwyn Darden
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whatambush wrote:

For this your parents sent you to college?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
edarden wrote:
whatambush wrote:

For this your parents sent you to college?

Yes, but I am a very proud 9-9-7-8
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
tppytel wrote:
Of course, there are all kinds of other issues with Hill LOS in that case, as there are with every Hill LOS system I've seen.

You are so right and I think the easy ones do a good job
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Crawford
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Iridescent wrote:

#2. I simply don't understand what you are saying. B should not be able to see the hill hexes adjacent to A and vice versa. However, if the hill was one hex wide then both units could see the top of the hill but not each other.

I mainly have played Squad Leader on the tactical level games side of things and it doesn't allow you to see all the hexes of a hill. I don't know what game would? It shouldn't as it makes no sense, unless I missed something which has been known to happen before : ) A and B should only be allowed to see the hexes addjacent to them unless said rules have some sort of crest rule, even then you shouldn't be able to see over a crest.

What game allows you to do this when you talk about most LOS rules?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whatambush wrote:
You are so right and I think the easy ones do a good job

I think that the appropriate LOS system to use depends on what's being modelled. Standard ASL scenarios use hills that are too small to be "realistic" but are big enough to create the appropriate gameplay effect of a defensive strongpoint with LOS advantages. In that kind of situation, you typically have units defending the crest of a hill against units that are on lower ground. Thus, the Layer Cake Model works pretty well and is easy to use. But it breaks down when you have large hills with units fighting all the way up and down them - hence the introduction of Slopes in the Kampfgruppe Peiper modules to allow easier LOS at the expense of more rules complications. I imagine that one of the reasons that The Gamers used a much more complex LOS system in the Civil War Brigade Series is that so many important battles (especially Gettysburg) in the ACW turned on fights up and down hillsides. Layer cake hills would lead to some very ahistorical play in those situations.

So it depends. Layer cakes might be good enough for some cases, not enough for others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh my God They Banned Kenny
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
whatambush wrote:

So that what bush am?

whatambush wrote:

Pedantic moment #1

Movement cost to move from one hex to another is the sum of the movement cost for entering each of the two hexes, divided by 2. There, fixed.

whatambush wrote:

Pedantic moment #2

Many LOS rules that I am familar with would actually have the 'near' hill hex block LOS to the 'far' hill hex.

whatambush wrote:

Pedantic moment over
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Doria
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
The prior assessments of the LOS issues are absolutely correct. Is there some particular game system in which A & B could both see the entire hill mass?

As for the movement question, it's a small gap in the game play. The unit is assumed to be in the center of the hex for LOS purposes, but this is an acknowledged legal fiction. The unit is of course dispersed throughout the hex in a manner sensible for its present activities. Thus, there are no movement costs associated with the movement that takes place within a hex (various bypass rules aside). Thus, what the movement system is actually measuring is the cost of moving not from center to center, but really from the crossed hexside to any other hexside in the entered hex: that is, the cost of entering the hex and moving within it. This solves the supposed dilemma: the unit exiting the underbrush expends its movement points when coming into the clearing. But when returning to the woods, it expends movement points only after crossing the hexside into the wooded area, with its various impediments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skip Franklin
United States
Oklahoma City
OK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whatambush wrote:

Pedantic moment #1
My movement is from the centre of one hex to the centre of an adjacent hex.
I am currently in a woods hex, I move to the edge of this hex and into the centre of an open hex, it costs me 1 movement point to do this. I return back to the woods hex at the exact same pace and follow the exact same route yet it costs me 2 movement points....Why oh why does it take me twice as long to complete the same journey?

The series that Barbarossa: Kiev to Rostov, 1941 is part of has this moment covered in the movement rules. This is the only game system I am aware of that covers this problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Luta
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How gratifying to know there are plenty of wargamers who will argue with The Pedantic Wargamer (tm), rather than just move on to find new opponents....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as moving into hexes of different costs we could take half the cost of the hex you are in and half the cost of the hex you are moving into which would give you a more exact figure. This is of course is unworkable in practice and anyway using either method would yield the same results over any given distance.

The idea was meant to raise a smile and not to question how we count hexes or to even try to change the way we do.

The Hill LOS question is where I have to raise the white flag and concede. I honestly thought I had read that in a couple of games I used to play but re reading those rules I am totally wrong. blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
markluta wrote:
How gratifying to know there are plenty of wargamers who will argue with The Pedantic Wargamer (tm), rather than just move on to find new opponents....

What do you mean? He IS our 'new opponent'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
whatambush wrote:
As far as moving into hexes of different costs we could take half the cost of the hex you are in and half the cost of the hex you are moving into which would give you a more exact figure. This is of course is unworkable in practice and anyway using either method would yield the same results over any given distance.

The idea was meant to raise a smile and not to question how we count hexes or to even try to change the way we do....

Well, if you really were the 'pedantic wargamer', you wouldn't balk at a more exact but impractical solution. You sir are a fraud! angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still trying to figure out what a foot doctor has to do with wargaming...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elwyn Darden
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Malacandra wrote:

Good question. Most wargamers try to avoid defeat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
edarden wrote:
Malacandra wrote:

They mostly do so on debutt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
edarden wrote:
Malacandra wrote:

P u n s h i e l d s f a i l i n g .........

C a n ' t h o l d o n m u c h l o n g e r ........
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
whatambush wrote:
...The Hill LOS question is where I have to raise the white flag and concede. I honestly thought I had read that in a couple of games I used to play but re reading those rules I am totally wrong. blush

There may well be games where the LOS rules do produce the result you described. The 'sort' of rule I am more familiar with doesn't exhibit that particular issue. However, it does produce a different anomaly, then the gradient for height level differences isn't fine enough. I think of it as the 'table top' effect. To 'see' down below from a table, you need to be near the 'edge'. What might be a gently sloping hillside in reality, might wind up represented as a series of 'terrances', based on height 'levels' in a wargame. Picture it as concentric circles, on a hex grid. The problem is if one of the height level 'rings' or 'bands' around the hill is more than 1 hex wide, you create a 'shadow' effect where a unit cannot see, or be seen, if it is back from the 'edge' of that band.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elwyn Darden
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
deadkenny wrote:
edarden wrote:
Malacandra wrote:

P u n s h i e l d s f a i l i n g .........

C a n ' t h o l d o n m u c h l o n g e r ........

Better step back they're going to blow....

Oh my God! They killed OMG They Killed Kenny!

You bastards!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Avtges
United States
Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
CONCEALED -3
badge
It's not easy being green.
mbmbmbmbmb
whatambush wrote:
The Hill LOS question is where I have to raise the white flag and concede. I honestly thought I had read that in a couple of games I used to play but re reading those rules I am totally wrong. blush

Don't give up yet! I think Ambush! uses this kind of hill LOS. Of course it has separate rules for sharper elevation changes, I think they are called embankments and ridgelines, which behave similar to the common "layer-cake" approach. But the standard hill los rules in Ambush! allow what you describe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G. Harding Warren
United States
Arnold
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whatambush wrote:

The Hill LOS question is where I have to raise the white flag and concede. I honestly thought I had read that in a couple of games I used to play but re reading those rules I am totally wrong. :blush:

When it comes to wargames, I am so lacking in self-confidence. For a minute, I thought "Oh s---! I can't believe I've been playing Squad Leader wrong all this time".

You gave me a scare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Oakville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
edarden wrote:
Malacandra wrote:

Which is why wargamers are so prone to ingrown toenails, corns, blisters, varicose veins, and more general sores and aches.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
nix342 wrote:
whatambush wrote:

Don't give up yet! I think Ambush! uses this kind of hill LOS. Of course it has separate rules for sharper elevation changes, I think they are called embankments and ridgelines, which behave similar to the common "layer-cake" approach. But the standard hill los rules in Ambush! allow what you describe.

Well Ambush runs through my veins and what you describe is correct. Maybe these LOS rules are locked away in my subconscious somewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.