Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Pinchuk
Canada
Dollard-des-Ormeaux
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any suggestions for a book on game theory that incorporates boardgames?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Engelstein
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Pit Crew avaialble now! The Expanse coming in October!
badge
Ludology Host and Dice Tower Contributor
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest either Winning Ways for your Mathematical Plays by Berlekamp, or, if you enjoy poker, The Mathematics of Poker by Bill Chen.

Either will give you good insights into Game Theory.

Geoff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Metzger
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All of them? I have one that I've been toting around for a week that doesn't specifically reference board games, from what I've read, but I expect it to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most game theory games are mathematically oriented and have little practical advice for boardgamers. I think you'd get more out of books on strategy generally and books devoted to particular games for playing tips.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Pinchuk
Canada
Dollard-des-Ormeaux
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't really want playing tips, just some insight into game theory that references actual games that I may have played.
"Moves in Mind: The Psychology of Board Games" is one that I was looking at, but it is out of print and really expensive to buy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LC
United States
Florissant
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
check out "Rules of Play - Game Design Fundamentals" by Katie Salen and Eric Zimmerman.

The MIT Press
Cambridge, Massachusetts
London, England
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Really, game theory books don't talk about the kind of games that are most popular at BGG (eurogames, wargames, ameritrash games, etc) and aren't going to directly discuss how to play them. Unless you're talking about very well-known classic games like Chess and Go and Poker etc, in which case you already know that plenty of books exist discussing their strategy.

But that said, check out:
"The mathematics of games" by John D. Beasley which gives some example applications of different types of game theory and other math to games and game situations.

For combinatorial games specifically:
"Winning Ways"
"Lessons in Play"
"On numbers and games"
Note that combinatorial game theory is not necessarily easy.

If your goal is to learn how to play typical BGG type games better, I think you'd be better served by reading good strategy articles in the forums for games that you're interested in. And talking with experienced players. Do post-mortem analyses of games you've just finished; ask a stronger player if they could mention any obvious blunders they think you made.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Pinchuk
Canada
Dollard-des-Ormeaux
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Again, I am not looking for strategy, I am looking for some explanations and evidence for social and psychological effects of games on people.

russ wrote:
Really, game theory books don't talk about the kind of games that are most popular at BGG (eurogames, wargames, ameritrash games, etc) and aren't going to directly discuss how to play them. Unless you're talking about very well-known classic games like Chess and Go and Poker etc, in which case you already know that plenty of books exist discussing their strategy.

But that said, check out:
"The mathematics of games" by John D. Beasley which gives some example applications of different types of game theory and other math to games and game situations.

For combinatorial games specifically:
"Winning Ways"
"Lessons in Play"
"On numbers and games"
Note that combinatorial game theory is not necessarily easy. :)

If your goal is to learn how to play typical BGG type games better, I think you'd be better served by reading good strategy articles in the forums for games that you're interested in. And talking with experienced players. Do post-mortem analyses of games you've just finished; ask a stronger player if they could mention any obvious blunders they think you made.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Carroll
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mpin wrote:
Don't really want playing tips, just some insight into game theory that references actual games that I may have played.
"Moves in Mind: The Psychology of Board Games" is one that I was looking at, but it is out of print and really expensive to buy.

Try this:
http://books.google.com/books?id=fR7xZlGnyl0C&dq=%22moves+in...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Serpa
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You may find this interesting:

http://www.amazon.com/Grasshopper-Games-Life-Utopia/dp/15511...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Pinchuk
Canada
Dollard-des-Ormeaux
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davidwtc wrote:
mpin wrote:

Try this:
http://books.google.com/books?id=fR7xZlGnyl0C&dq=%22moves+in...

I already said that this book is hard to get for a good price. I would like something a little more accessible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Pinchuk
Canada
Dollard-des-Ormeaux
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrfurious wrote:

This looks interesting. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl de Visser
New Zealand
Lower Hutt
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mpin wrote:
Again, I am not looking for strategy, I am looking for some explanations and evidence for social and psychological effects of games on people.

Rules of Play (mentioned by LC above) covers some of that. The bibliography will be well worth looking through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Van Zandt
United States
South Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
PlayTMG.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that the Rules of Play bibliography is probably your best resource.

how about stuff by:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mihaly_Csikszentmihalyi
in particular, his statements regarding flow get referenced in every design book worth reading.

same with
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homo_Ludens
by Huizinga.

and I know there have been several studies on the psychological effects of chess, which is probably something you can google ;P
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.