Popular Tags: [View All]
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
This might be better as a geeklist, but I was wondering if there are any other games similar to Republic of Rome.

Ideally, like RoR, the game would require players to collaborate to prevent the "game" from winning (in RoR, the republic can fall), but unlike co-ops the object is for a single player to win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Shaw
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most like it would be Galactic Destiny which is basically RoR in space, with a few twists...because it's in space of course. Fun game depending on who you play it with.

I suppose Runebound is something like it...well the part where if someone doesn't win you all lose, but it's a completely different type of game and nothing at all like RoR. I suppose that would apply to Prophecy as well. No cooperation really in those at all, just a race to beat the big bad guy at the end.

So I guess, Galactic Destiny is all I can think of right now off the top of my head.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Capitaneus et Defensor is explicitly based on Republic of Rome. It is simpler and is set in medieval San Marino.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure it entirely fits your criteria, but God's Playground has all players defending Poland against her enemies. I've not played RoR, but I do know that in GP, the game cannot win, no matter how poorly the players do. It's not cooperative; each player earns individual VPs throughout the game. However, due to enemies expanding from an adjacent region, it is in one player's best interest to keep the enemies from invading in that region.

They may even still be in stock at Warfrog Games' website.

edit:
Here's a quote from the rulebook (Wallace):
Quote:
It draws its influences from Republic of Rome, and is by far the most 'experiential' game I have designed to date. By that, I mean that stuff happens to you and you just have to live with it...If you feel like everything is going wrong and that you are fighting a losing battle, then you are experiencing what Poland had to go through.

Also, http://www.warfroggames.com/index.html still lists the game as "in stock"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second Galactic Destiny. Definitely the closest I've seen and a blast of fun when I played it. Major downsides are the rules and playlength though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Tan
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a Swedish game called Svea Rike, which may be a little hard to find (I'm trying to hunt down a copy myself)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonathan schleyer
United States
Manhattan Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, Musketeers has nothing to do with Rome but the game is coop vs the game but one of the musketeers must win in the end. Very fun filler. Under-appreciated game on BGG.

Now, another game that is similar in theme is Sylla where players represent senators who try to prevent bad things from happening to Rome (plagues, barbarian invasions etc) but in the end, one player wins. It is not really a coop but there is the feeling in the game. I love this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Rostoker
Canada
Gloucester
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Founding Fathers was directly based on Republic of Rome, but for the US Republic, and is pretty damn good.

Edit: Didn't notice how old this thread was...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.