BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: money sleeves! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Castellanos
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i just got hooked on card sleeves

now im thinking about other things that get worn out quickly, and my mind turned to the play money found in games like Power Grid and St. Petersburg

thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Then you can sleeve all the counters, tokens, cubes, meeples, dice, etc... And the rulebook...

Meanwhile, in the real world, I have never had game money wear out...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cleal
Australia
Port Kembla
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find card sleeves more annoying than helpfull :(
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Manning
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
designer
err... I like boardgames!?!
badge
D'oh! I bought overtext even though I have nothing interesting to say.
mbmbmbmbmb
Most people around here will likely tell you to use poker chips, but I myself prefer paper money because it looks like money. When I got Power Grid, I bought a pack of monopoly money to use, although that's not quite satisfactory, since the Power Grid money is nicely thematic. I'm not sure I'd want to use sleeves though, but I have a different solution...

I've printed my own money for several games, using scans of the original game money. I've done this for Chicago Express, St Petersburg, and Dice Town. I've been happy with how this has worked - I don't mind people scrunching up or folding the money, since I can always print more, and I get to enjoy the money that whichever artist designed for that game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M H
Germany
Göttingen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy two games. One to play, one to look at.

It's game money. Normally there is enough in it to last a lifetime, unless you chew on it. And it's not even crucial. You could use real coins, poker chips or generic game money as a replacement.

Sleeved money? shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Day
United Kingdom
Lee
LONDON
flag msg tools
Oi!
badge
That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have scanned and printed out paper money for several older games in my families collection - its not really a problem unlike card wear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Money sleeves? Nah, but you could try and laminate the money and cut off excess material so that it stays easy to handle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This makes me wonder if some really obsessive players might notice that over time their sleeves become damaged... and so they want to sleeve their sleeves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
Germany
Bremen
Bremen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Go to your bank and exchange some money for that of a country's that has a very weak currency. No need for sleeving, maximum "realism".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B
England
Rochester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Far easier to sleeve yourself and all the other players!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M H
Germany
Göttingen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Crazy_Dave wrote:
Far easier to sleeve yourself and all the other players!

Isn't everyone playing like this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayday Games
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got one of these for Christmas and house all my games in it. Its even four-player compatible. It does sort of stink when you have a 5/6 player game though:

It fits the Pandemic Theme perfectly. Notice the zip-lock bags on the top shelf in the picture? Thats for putting tokens in to protect them further INSIDE the glove box.

Yes I'm kidding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
mb
Well like it is said. Its a game, its made to play. Yes of course some stuff can get damaged rather quick, think of all the shuffeling of dominion cards. But I don't think the money will become damaged a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Brown
United States
Gorham
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some paper money has just the right amount of strange coarseness to induce a visceral reaction in me slightly akin to fingernails running down a chalkboard. Sleeves would certainly help this, though I doubt that I would use them. I will continue to cope and spend my money on games instead.

All that said, I am surprised by the negative/joking reaction to this suggestion. When I first started playing games, I was amazed that people would sleeve their cards, but I now know it is common and rather sensible. We spend good money on these games. Anyhow, I don't find this suggestion all that far fetched.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Auricle wrote:
All that said, I am surprised by the negative/joking reaction to this suggestion. When I first started playing games, I was amazed that people would sleeve their cards, but I now know it is common and rather sensible. We spend good money on these games. Anyhow, I don't find this suggestion all that far fetched.

What can I say? The idea of sleeving paper game money (and trying to economically justify it) does seem comical to me. Here's why:

I've heard 2 arguments for sleeving cards:

1. The cards get destroyed by careless or hyper-sweaty players.

2. The cards can get marked and distinguishable, which is bad if the game depends on you not being able to identify cards by their backs.

So how does this apply to paper game money?

1. I've NEVER seen game money destroyed by players. And I've owned some economic games that saw a lot of play. And even if someone does destroy a bill, so what? There's plenty more where that one came from! It doesn't hurt your game to have one fewer $5 bills! In the worst case, you could buy or print or draw more money cheaper than the time and money investment to sleeve the bills.

2. Distinguishability of paper money bills is not an issue. I don't care if you can tell one $5 bill from another.

Even if some disaster befalls a game and I have to replace its cards or money, is that cost really going to be more than the total cost I spent sleeving all my games in case some disaster strikes one of them?

Maybe other people have worse luck or messier friends, but I've been playing games for decades, and I don't recall having to replace ANY of my cards or money in games... so card sleeves seem to be a losing proposition to me, seen from an economic standpoint, at least for me.

They seem like a product that follows the classic marketing strategy of playing upon people's fears: "Oh no, someone might ruin one of my valuable games! I better wrap all my games in plastic!" And meanwhile the sleeved cards are a pain in the ass to shuffle* and clumsier to handle, and so the game is less enjoyable to play, and the cards often no longer fit in the supplied box or space in the box.

It's like keeping your otherwise comfortable sofa and easy chairs permanently covered in uncomfortable clear plastic.

*Yes, I know a few people claim they find it easier to shuffle sleeved cards. Most people I know think it is harder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M H
Germany
Göttingen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Auricle wrote:

I can understand that people put sleeves on their cards. Some games need a lot of shuffling and handling. Some cards are also of bad quality and wear easily.
But money is not shuffled, not handled all the time like some cards. Money is interchangeable. It doesn't matter if one bill shows more wear than the other. And if you wash your hands normally, i doubt that there is any need for money sleeves until your game almost crumbles to dust.

As suggested, there are other possibilities. You can wash poker chips and use them with every game, you wouldn't need sleeves for every game this way. Also the idea of printing your own money is great.

And don't forget: They are JUST games. Even if you paid 50$ or more for it, it's not worth getting OCD over the wear of a game. If you have gotten so many plays out of a game that the original money is disintegrated i'd say that it was worth the price. Or do you protect every other item in your life against use? Furniture? Clothing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Castellanos
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have all hurt my feelings and embarrassed myself.

I will never post here again.

:|
:\
:/

:'(
:~(
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilias Karampelias
Greece
Athens
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
ZippyDan wrote:
You have all hurt my feelings and embarrassed myself.

I will never post here again.

:|
:\
:/

:'(
:~(

Can't blame him...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
The best things in life aren't things.
mbmbmbmbmb
The lowest I stooped is laminating the money for my Star Trek monopoly.

That's right.
Gold-pressed Laminate.
surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I have bought me a case full with poker chips, my game money will never be touched by greasy fingers no more meeple

Much easier to handle than paper money and much more durable!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Coddington
United States
Woodbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whatcha' gonna do, the debate will always rage on even though it's a matter of personal preference.
Some people are always going to sleeve their cards, myself included and some people are never going to sleeve their cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan D
United Kingdom
Brislington
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Instead of buying sleeves and using paper money, instead use the artcow special offer of 20% off and free postage to buy a few decks of cards to replace the paper.

Benefits are that they are easier to hold and keep hidden (they all have the same back)

There are templates already set up for powergrid, dont know about st petersberg (however there are generic sets available)

Cant remember the thread but it is a list of artscow decks in a geeklist on here somewhere

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
mb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uffe
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
I've NEVER seen game money destroyed by players.

I'm not sure if I've ever seen paper money destroyed by players. I've certainly seen some grubby ones with no straight edges and with a different texture than they had when they were new, but I think it's always been easy to read the value on the paper money.

Game coins on the other hand...

Here's two photos of Puerto Rico and Caylus coins from games owned by a gaming group with a weekly gaming night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend not to sleeve things, I could replace every game I've bought that has become unplayable due to card damage for the cost of sleeving every game I've ever bought. Maybe that works out less favorably after a lifetime, but I've been buying games for over a decade and it's not an issue yet.

That being said if you sleeve cards I can see some games you'd want to sleeve money in. Junta for instance has money that must be indistinguishable from the back and that it'd mess up the game if the cards were marked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.