Subject: questions regarding this expansion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
oren kostin
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
hello,
just bought this expansion and played it for the first time.
i must say that compared to the other small expansions- this expansion is not so good. maybe i did not understand the "spirit" of this expansion.

1) i dont understand why i should join the cult. most of the encounters make bad things happen.
2) i have all the other expansions (except innsmouth). there are 30+ cards for each location. the odds for drawing to join the cult are 1/30. any suggestions?
3)i liked the corruption mechanic. suppose i dont want to use the herald. how do you suggest i use the corruption cards? i thought about shuffling all the hexagon monsters with the rest of the monsters, and whenever i defeat a hexagon monster i draw a corruption. what do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fritz Mulnar
Germany
Schwanewede
not Bavaria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
as i take it, the expansions are more... succulent if used alone. makes the theme richer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
My armor is contempt. My shield is disgust. My sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
badge
Song of my soul, my voice is dead; Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed. Shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
i dont understand why i should join the cult. most of the encounters make bad things happen.

The theme. Joining the cult probably won´t win you the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Anderson
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kwakkie wrote:
Quote:
i dont understand why i should join the cult. most of the encounters make bad things happen.

The theme. Joining the cult probably won´t win you the game.
It's not always optional either, I don't believe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
1) There are two corruption cards that instruct the owner to ask another investigator to take a cult membership. If that investigator refuses, the owning player takes another corruption, which can be a lot worse than a membership.

It's been my experience that by the time an investigator does get a membership, the locations in question either have a gate on them or there is no clue and, therefore, no reason to visit.

The encounters aren't all bad.

3) Your suggestion is the perfect solution, if you don't want to use the herald. Personally, I use the herald, but don't use the mechanic of adding a doom token on a monster surge.

Arkham is perfect for variants and house rules.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
johnwoo wrote:
hello,
just bought this expansion and played it for the first time.
i must say that compared to the other small expansions- this expansion is not so good. maybe i did not understand the "spirit" of this expansion.

1) i dont understand why i should join the cult. most of the encounters make bad things happen.
2) i have all the other expansions (except innsmouth). there are 30+ cards for each location. the odds for drawing to join the cult are 1/30. any suggestions?
3)i liked the corruption mechanic. suppose i dont want to use the herald. how do you suggest i use the corruption cards? i thought about shuffling all the hexagon monsters with the rest of the monsters, and whenever i defeat a hexagon monster i draw a corruption. what do you think?

I LOVE this expansion. My suggestions? First off it's better if you don't use it with the other expansions. With other expansions it becomes sort of a side thing that you probably won't encounter at all. Also when I play, one Investigator always starts with a Cult membership (to get things started)

The Cult is there to feed your perverse self-destructive streak. This is the real "spirit" of this expansion (I "get" it because I'm evil in real life) :-) It's like a good story, you want to mess up your characters' lives as much as possible for the first half then frantically dig them out from the pit. I'd say the Black Goat's more about Story than Strategy, but the Corruptions also open up new strategic choices.

It really shakes things up, too; you get Items and maybe money from the Cult, but it comes at a price- Corruptions! But some of the Corruptions are actually helpful.

Believe me, the game will NOT become stagnant if you plunge headlong into the Cult and actively SEEK OUT Corruptions like I do. Then you'll find yourself closing Gates just to get rid of the dreaded Red Cards.

I really like your 3rd idea about the Hex monsters and Corruptions. I'm gonna try that sometime. The Herald is REALLY hard in this expansion, you need to pick and chooses its powers to have any chance.

(I "house-rule" it so a Monster Surge only adds a Doom Token on a die roll of 1-2, otherwise it's all over in 45 minutes)

And finally, DON'T READ ALL THE CULT ENCOUNTERS CARDS BEFORE YOU PLAY!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Lloyd
Norway
Stavanger
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The trouble is... There are only two cards in the locations decks like the woods that even -offer- you Clut membership. You have to sacrefice 3 stamina, 2 toughness of monster trophies or an ally just to get in.

For me, it's neither likely that I'll be able to get in, nor worth it.

I received this expansion pack from a friend recently, who understood it to be the best of the small expansions, but apart from the Herald, I can't see it affecting the game much at all.

L.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.