Subject: Malayan Emergency rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carlo Marinozzi
Italy
Livorno
flag msg tools
Hi,

has anybody ever done a game about the malayan emergency?
Seems a neglected asimmetrical conflict and one of the few where the insurgents were defeated.

As an aside: what others insurgency conflicts deserves a game treatment, in your informed opinion?

Thanks

Carlo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Luta
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is at least one recent game about the Dutch wars of independence...There are a number of games based on the American-Indian wars...I know off the top of my head about 'Citadel of the Dead--the Battle of Dien Bien Phu' which is certainly the war of independence in French Indochina...

There are also 'partisans' in many WWII wargames, who are the insurgents in the context of that war. In 'Here I Stand' one player is the Lutherans, which is an insurgency against both the Papacy and the Hapsburgs. Incorporation into a larger conflict will probably have more widespread appeal, since one problem with modeling insurgency warfare in a wargame context is it is difficult to define what exactly constitutes 'control' in this paradigm. To be fair, this question vexes policy makers worldwide as well...

A very recent insurgency which has been defeated is the Tamil Tigers who used to be in northern Sri Lanka, until the government retook that area last year. There seems to be a good chance the Shining Path in Peru will be defeated by using similar methods. So there continues to be plenty of material for consideration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Algerian war for independence has two games based on it. I don't know Algeria: The War of Independence 1954-1962 but I can attest that Ici, c'est la France! The Algerian War of Independence 1954 - 1962 is a fine game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roger beatson
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Carlo M. wrote:
Hi,

has anybody ever done a game about the malayan emergency?
Seems a neglected asimmetrical conflict and one of the few where the insurgents were defeated.

As an aside: what others insurgency conflicts deserves a game treatment, in your informed opinion?

Thanks

Carlo

Carlo

I aksed the same question some months ago regarding the Malayan Emergency.The short answer seems to be that don't appear to be any games on that subject.As part of my University studies I was doing an essay on that particular conflict.As there is little in the way of a wargame I thought I may as well develop one myself for personal use (not for publication purposes). Brian Train who designed a game on the Algerian conflict was kind enough to send me a copy of the rules for his game which I have used as a starting point for the Malayan Emergency game.Due to my Uni studies I haven't been able to devote as much time as I would like to it but it is still a work in progress.

regards
Roger
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Marinozzi
Italy
Livorno
flag msg tools
Thanks to all posters and good luck to Roger for his effort, I'm quite interested in the result, let me know, if possible.

Thanks

Carlo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roger beatson
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Carlo M. wrote:
Thanks to all posters and good luck to Roger for his effort, I'm quite interested in the result, let me know, if possible.

Thanks

Carlo

Will do Carlo.
Slowly getting the game in shape but still plenty to work on to try and make it balanced.The Communist forces were pretty much on the back-foot quite early in the campaign and never really recovered once the Briggs Plan was introduced.I'll need to look at some way of doing both a "historical" version and a "hypothetical" version where perhaps the Briggs Plan is not implemented or is only partially successful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Marinozzi
Italy
Livorno
flag msg tools
Hmm, maybe the Briggs plan could have gone the other way if the indipendence was not promised (forgive my english).

Maybe you can offer the government player this option too? Going for the "french way" of deal with an insurgents movement?

Carlo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Con
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
badge
Penny of king Sigtrygg II Silkbeard of Dublin
mbmbmbmbmb
ftarzanin wrote:
Other insurgency games I would like to see include:

- Dutch war of independence
- American Plain Indian Wars
- French/Vietnamese War of Independence.
- China Civil War (1930 and 1940)
- Welsh Insurgency versus English (1200's?)
- Afganistan (versus Soviets and US)
- Philippines (US vs Philippines nationalists after Spanish American War)

Not sure that all of these are well characterised as insurgencies. The Dutch War of Independence and the Chinese Civil War both included plenty of regular military operations. OK, they included insurgencies too, but so did any number of other wars that we don't think of as insurgencies.

There's a fairly recent game on the Dutch War of Independence - Revolution: The Dutch Revolt 1568-1648

Many insurgencies lend themselves well to miniatures gaming using skirmish and small unit rules, and even some RPG systems. A few years ago, I spent an interesting couple of hours at a convention playing a Soviet occupation of Afghanistan scenario that used GURPS Special Ops rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
ConG wrote:
Many insurgencies lend themselves well to miniatures gaming using skirmish and small unit rules, and even some RPG systems. A few years ago, I spent an interesting couple of hours at a convention playing a Soviet occupation of Afghanistan scenario that used GURPS Special Ops rules.

That would be okay for the military part of an insurgency - to recreate skirmishes and battles. But especially in the case of insurgencies, the political part is crucial for a fuller understanding of the situation. That's one of the things I like about Ici C'est La France - the French can win every battle (and they probably WILL), and lose the war because of the attitudes of the Algerian people and secondarily, of the people back in France.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nicaragua is well thought of, despite the odd graphics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roger beatson
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Carlo M. wrote:
Hmm, maybe the Briggs plan could have gone the other way if the indipendence was not promised (forgive my english).

Maybe you can offer the government player this option too? Going for the "french way" of deal with an insurgents movement?

Carlo

Yes it is a tricky one to sort out.
When Independence was promised it pretty much removed all the indigenous Malay from the equation and left the Chinese Malay on their own.Despite the MRLA having support from the Min Yuen they couldn't rely on total support from the remainder of the Chinese population who, for the most part, were reluctant to commit themselves to the Communist ideology.Communism didn't offer them a better way of life so for the Chinese population their support for the MRLA was pretty half-hearted at best.Once the MRLA was cut off from its support base, being the Min Yuen, the conflict was essentially over, although it did take a number of years to eradicate them in the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles F.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is one of those scenarios in which it might be wiser to determine victory by one overperforming one's historical counterpart rather than measuring victory in absolute terms.

You'd have to allow for a very different British response for the Communists to actually prevail.

Algeria and 1st and 2nd Indochina strike me as far more balanced affairs. Either side could have won in these insurgencies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.