Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Micheal Barwegen
Canada
Coaldale
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After my first review I wrote a while back I thought I would take another stab at my 3 and 3 review style. If you want to learn more about the game there is lots to read here on the geek this will just attempt to give you my view on the strengths and weaknesses of the game. So without further delay, The Adventurers 3 and 3 review:

Positives
+ The theme of this game is amazing. Everything fits well together and the users can relate stories from movies and books involving treasure and adventure to the happenings of the game. One gaming experience I had, I decided to just grab as much treasure as I could and try and work my way out before being trapped. Well unfortunately it did not work out and after discussion it was decided that in the movie “The Mummy” the tomb is closing all around and there was a guy being swallowed up in the tomb letting greed get the best of him pulling this giant sack of treasure and trying to get out. That was me. A+ for the theme of the game.
+ Quality of components is amazing. The boulder included with the game is much heavier and very solid from what I thought it would be. The plastic figures, walls, and bridge all also look very good, and are well constructed. The artwork is also very good, though personally I have no complaint about the way the female characters are represented in the game, I could see others having an issue with it, especially if you are planning to play with children which the game is great to introduce them to.
+ The play time. This is a game that once everyone knows how to play it can fly through and you can play a couple games in a single sitting, or move on to another game after playing. Even with new players the mechanics are not overly complicated and players can pick up the game and finish it easily under an hour. The time also holds true for a full six player game.

Negatives
- There is a certain degree of luck to the game, and this may turn some people off to the game. If luck takes over some people claim that there is no point in playing the game. However, I feel this is counteracted with the play time, so even if you get unlucky and are destined to lose quickly in the game, the game does not last that long.
- Although the figures are well constructed and look great up close, when there are a number of figures close together it can be difficult to tell them apart in the grey mass of figures, so pre-painted figures would have been nice, though owners of the game who really wish this could take the time to paint them themselves.
- The lava room could have the potential for a familiar player of the game to memorize and remember the tiles and their corresponding numbers for an advantage crossing it. Though a player who does this is missing the point to the game, which is to have fun.

Overall I think The Adventurers is a great game, well put together with great mechanics. If you are into games that have no luck, or you want to memorize tiles to win all the time then the game is not for you. The game is about an experience and about having fun. People will enjoy this game if you play the game with others for the sake of gaming, and not just for the sake of winning or losing. Easy to understand mechanics and a short play time make it a game accessible for everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Gallagher
United States
Fort Lee
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wedgell wrote:

- The lava room could have the potential for a familiar player of the game to memorize and remember the tiles and their corresponding numbers for an advantage crossing it. Though a player who does this is missing the point to the game, which is to have fun.

It's funny that this point has come up a few times here on the Geek for this game, yet I haven't read about this situation actually happening to anybody. I had the same reservations in my review and haven't seen it pan out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Micheal Barwegen
Canada
Coaldale
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is true I have not actually seen anyone do this, but I just think its important that people are aware the game could be I won't say ruined, but dishonoured? or at least the spirit of the game could be ruined by one over analysing and memorizing individual.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sanders
United States
Henderson
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
DNA results:Scottish, Dutch, English, Irish, German, French, Iberian Peninsula = 100% American!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nicely done. You have noted the most important things about this light game that will help those looking for a family/light gamer game. I believe it does fit the bill for these two groups very well. It is also fun for the gamer who is not expecting the depth of other meatier games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alywin Fruge
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Wedgell wrote:

I'm a little surprised to read that. I don't own the game (though I am SERIOUSLY considering a purchase) and I have been assuming that the game included a number of "hint" tiles equal to the number of lava tiles so that, during set-up, you would randomly pick a few "hint" tiles (leaving the rest out of play) to seed the area.

That way, a frequent player (or crummy fun stomping player who memorizes) would always have to stop and check on their way through the gauntlet.

Maybe I just misunderstood the way the hint and lava tiles interact but it seems kinda weak NOT to include equal numbers of hint and lava tiles in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
alywin wrote:
Wedgell wrote:

I'm a little surprised to read that. I don't own the game (though I am SERIOUSLY considering a purchase) and I have been assuming that the game included a number of "hint" tiles equal to the number of lava tiles so that, during set-up, you would randomly pick a few "hint" tiles (leaving the rest out of play) to seed the area.

That way, a frequent player (or crummy fun stomping player who memorizes) would always have to stop and check on their way through the gauntlet.

Maybe I just misunderstood the way the hint and lava tiles interact but it seems kinda weak NOT to include equal numbers of hint and lava tiles in the game.

There are indeed an equal number of lava tiles and hint tiles in the game (14). All of the lava tiles are placed complex-side up and covered, and then four of the hint times are placed simple side up. The concern is that someone familiar with all 14 tiles might be able to memorize which complex side corresponds to which simple side and thus not need to look at the reverse of the hint tiles to know the safe path through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Green
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There was a set of pre-painted figures that came out with this game. The guy at my local game store says they got them in with the game and some joker bought them, but not the game, right out of the packing box, before they had even priced them. They still have the game, but no more pre-painted figs. I'm guessing those were probably a limited edition. They got the game way back before Christmas of 2009.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
bookgnome wrote:
There was a set of pre-painted figures that came out with this game. The guy at my local game store says they got them in with the game and some joker bought them, but not the game, right out of the packing box, before they had even priced them. They still have the game, but no more pre-painted figs. I'm guessing those were probably a limited edition. They got the game way back before Christmas of 2009.

AEG is selling the pre-painted figures on their website right now (well, as of two days ago when I bought them).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.