Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Charles O
United States
Santee
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm feeling like an idiot here. Can someone explain to me the scoring process for the "tax action" In the instructions it gives an example for scoring a blue Knight's total points. It states:

TAX. Each player earns points for his knights: for each knight the player earns 1 point for each pennant in the city plus 1 point for each of his knights

Then they provide the example (minus the picture here)...

Blue earns for his knights 2 (knights) + 2 (pennants) = 4 points, for a total of 2*4= 8 points.

My question is why is the total not 6? Where do they get the 2 * 4= 8?

I stare at this thing and I swear I'm getting dumber by the minute. What am I missing? This is driving me nuts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Because the formula appears to be you get 1 point for each knight plus 1 point for each pennant for EACH knight you have.

So the formula is Knight x (Knight + Pennant) = Score

In your example, you have 2 knights + 2 Pennants = 4. They then multiple 2 Knights times the result of 4 to get 8 points.

At least, that is how I understand the problem as youpresented it. i do not own this expansion so I don't know first hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Newman
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about this:

Knight A earns 4 points,
1 point for each pennant = 2 points
1 point for each knight = 2 points

Knight B earns 4 points,
1 point for each pennant = 2 points
1 point for each knight = 2 points

Remember is says "for each knight the player earns..."

You are reading it as each knight earns the points for the pennants then just adding a point for each knight.

Hope that helps. It took me a few times reading it through to figure it out too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles O
United States
Santee
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rob, I think you got it there. I'm going to go with that before my mind melts. Thanks to you both for responding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Newman
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to help. Brian had it too, we just presented it differently.

In any case, Carcassonne rocks!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got this for christmas and reading over the rules brings me here, I don't think the wording is very good but, that is most likely due to a poor translation, they should check to see it the translation makes sense in that language to those who speak it, someone who is bilingual will just fill in the blanks without noticing a problem, and this is where these (for lack of a better word) mistakes could occur.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.