flag msg tools
badge
I will break him.
mbmbmbmbmb
Please discuss the math trade here.

Closing of Trade List: Jan 23, 2010

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/50492

Deadline for submittal of wants: Saturday Jan 30, 2010

We will meet at Joel's store in Miami on Saturday, February 6th to exchange the games. I had to cancel for Sunday 31st as Joel now claims that the store will not have room for us due to a large Magic tournament.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chu
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please note: I am a fellow gamer and friend of Micheal Sosa (Belisarius88). This is a math trade he is running and I have offer my assistance, so let us know if there is anything we can help you with.

-David (DavidC. on meetup)

on to the mathtrade (the following was taken from the Mathtrade Geeklist)...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Michael Sosa
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
I will break him.
mbmbmbmbmb

Greetings South Florida Gamers!

I think there are enough of us that a math trade could generate some good deals, so I am volunteering to run this first time effort. I would like to limit this trade to those who reside in Miami-Dade and Broward Counties or would otherwise be willing to drop off their games at the default meet up location, Joel's Sunshine game store on 79 Ave SW 40 St in Miami. This means that if you are a Palm Beach gamer and are interested in participating you may have to drive down here unless you can reach an agreement with your trade partners.

I will be using TradeMaximizer as my algorithm program, not sure about the Online Want List Generator yet. Priorities will be enabled, so at the time of submitting your want list the order of your wants will determine priority in a linear fashion.

Alright, preliminary dates are:

Closing of Trade List: Jan 23, 2010
Deadline for submittal of wants: Jan 28, 2010

I will generate the results, allow for a day of error checking, and Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 we can meet at Sunshine to complete the trades..There is an event happening at the store on Saturday, so we will be meeting Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 between 1-5 to exchange games.

If I have forgotten something, let me know!

Below please add whatever games you are willing to trade along with their condition. After Jan 23 you can decide for which games on this list, if any, you are willing to trade them for. The condition guide is as follows:

Mint / in shrinkwrap: never has been played
Near Mint: was played or otherwise may have minor, insignificant wear.
Excellent: played and with minor wear
Good: has wear and tear but still looking pretty
Fair: significant wear and tear to the point that some may not want it
Poor: the game is beat up or missing pieces. Buyer beware!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LINKS:
Trade List: http://www.geekdo.com/geeklist/50492
Discussion List: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/4469574#4469574
Online Want List Generator: http://bgg.activityclub.org/olwlg/

Meetup group: http://boardgames.meetup.com/389/
Sunshine Roleplayers: http://sunshineroleplayers.com/about_us.html

We usually meet at Sunshine Roleplayers on Saturday from 1pm to closing.
Please be prepare to come to the store for dropping & picking up your trade(s) between 1-5pm on Jan 31th (Sunday). Stay and play a few games. Also see what new games Joel has in the store, he has the largest (non-TRU crap) boardgame inventory in Miami...

ALSO NOTE:
Non-game entries (DVDs/CDs/GG/Gift Certificates etc) are ok and must be listed as Outside the Scope of BGG (Game ID: 23953), Miscellaneous Game Accessory (Game ID: 5985) or Miscellaneous Game Merchandise (Game ID: 22104) and must include the +altname+ brief description -altname- format in the description of your item.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chu
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
reserved

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chu
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Results can be found here...
http://bgg.activityclub.org/olwlg/trades-summary.cgi?listid=...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zee Garcia
United States
Homestead
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Board Game Blender!
mb
All right, guys. I'm in. I've added about ten games as of right now. If anyone sees anything on my trade list that I have not listed and they would like me to list, please let me know. I'm attempting to keep the smaller/cheaper games off the list in an effort to not clutter it. Perhaps later I'll bundle some of those into an attractive package.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chu
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI: Michael has ask for the non-board game items to be removed, so he has change his mind on those items for this trade.

I will post a quick & dirty guide to listing games in the next day or so...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sosa
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
I will break him.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes thanks David. I don't mind a few non-boardgame items that are hobby related, like D&D books or those miniatures you listed. But I would like to keep those to a minimum. Your list should be primarily boardgames.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chu
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
QUICK INSTRUCTION for LISTING YOUR GAME in the TRADE LIST

1>Goto the trade list here:
http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/50492/?commentid=1368265#c...

2>Under the 'South Florida (USA) No Shipping Math Trade' text box, there is a line of options in blue, select 'Add Item', then select 'Boardgame'

3>Type the name of the game you are listing. The more complete the name the better. Select your game from the list. If it is not the correct picture (previous edition, variation, etc.) click on the magnify glass icon and choose the correct pic.

4> enter in your condition and any other info in the comments box

5>Press ‘Save' - repeat for all your games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sosa
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
I will break him.
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope everyone uses the online want list generator (OWLG) tool, it is extremely easy once you learn a few buttons and greatly facilitates my responsibilities / minimizes errors.

Here is the link to the guide:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/159648/math-trade-online...

To log on, use this link:

http://olwlg.activityclub.org/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don D.
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some pretty decent stuff is popping up here on the list now...this could end up working out well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chu
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
QUICK INSTRUCTION for CREATING your WANTLIST in the (OLWLG) Online Want list Generator

1>Go here http://bgg.activityclub.org/olwlg/
(If you don’t already have an login account there, get one)

2>Look for ‘South Florida (USA) No Shipping Math Trade’, select it
(this should be a list of ALL the games that is in this math trade. If you don’t see the full list of games, select the ‘click here’ at the top right hand corner of the page)

3>Go down the list and find a game you would like to possibly received in trade. Click on the ‘Add’ button on the left of the desired game.

4> A list of all your listed game(s) pops open. Select one or more of your listed game(s) you would gladly trade for the game from the other person.
(If you select more then one of your games for a possible trade, ONLY ONE of your select game may be trade out for the current item, not all of them.)
An example: I want a $40 game from User B, I select the five games I have listed that is in that price range and place check marks on all of them. Now, any ONE of my five games has a chance to be traded for the game from User b

5>Press ‘Save’ on the bottom of the pop-up dialog

6>Repeat for the rest of the list

Will post steps to summit wantlist to Michael later
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chu
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the most items I had to ship out after a math trade. (click on the picture for a larger image)

This was for the 2008 Cabin Fever Math Trade

If you like Math Trades, you should consider the Math Trades microbadge

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Corzo
United States
Pembroke Pines
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you list your wants again?

Lets say I want 3 games from the whole list, how do I pick which games I would trade for it? Do I try and match sale value from my trades?

Can you list a want for multiple games or is it just 1 for 1?

thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sosa
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
I will break him.
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Alexander, please follow Chu's instructions above!

2. You pick whichever games you want, the criteria is up to you. As to how to do it, please see number 1 above.

3. You certainly should include multiple wants per each item to increase the chance of a trade actually happening. Remember, no trade is guaranteed to occur.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
klausbh
United States
Bowie
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
If anyone is ordering Santiago from tanga they should get an extra copy or two and put them up for trade...

-Klaus

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chu
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blustar wrote:
How do you list your wants again?

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/4486411#4486411

Blustar wrote:
Lets say I want 3 games from the whole list, how do I pick which games I would trade for it? Do I try and match sale value from my trades?

Following the above steps would let you click on each of the 3 games from the tradelist in the OLWLG, then you can check your game(s) in the pop-up that you would want to trade them for. You can make your trade decision any way you wish. There are some items of mine that I just want to trade away, without regards to value.

Blustar wrote:

You can select multiple games listing of yours that you are willing to trade away for any particular game that you desire, but if there is a trade, it would be for one game listing for another game listing.
(I used the word game listing because sometimes a entry in the tradelist may contain more then a single item)

I know it's confusing in the beginning so let me know if there is anything else I can help explain.
-David

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chu
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
klausbh wrote:
If anyone is ordering Santiago from tanga they should get an extra copy or two and put them up for trade...

-Klaus

Unfortunately, Tanga has a history of v e r y slow shipping, so it would not surprise me that it won't make it down here in time for the trade exchange.
This is from someone who has made 81 purchases from them.

If you do list games that are not currently in you possession, please note it in your listing, and when you expect it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Corzo
United States
Pembroke Pines
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey David,

What I meant by the "value" questioning, is does the algorithm program in any way take into account the value of our game?

or

Do you set the value of your game by what you are willing to trade for it?

Can I signify I want a game more than another game, like weight your wants? Or is it even across the board?

What if 5 people want Power Grid, who gets it?

Can I increase my chances of getting something I really want by wanting more things or less things?

thanks

Alex

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chu
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blustar wrote:
Do you set the value of your game by what you are willing to trade for it?
That one...

Blustar wrote:
Can I signify I want a game more than another game, like weight your wants? Or is it even across the board?
You can assign value in 'Step 4 & 5' in the OLWLG.
On the left hand column under 'Game', it will show the title of the game, then the name of the trader, then a blank box. This box is where you assign the value for the game. The higher the value the more desirable. BUT please do not put a game to received in trade that you will NOT be happy to get. Chances are, that is what you will be getting. From my 45+ past mathtrades, I don't really see that setting priorities have much of an effect.

Blustar wrote:
What if 5 people want Power Grid, who gets it?
The person who will allow the math trade to generate the most trades

Blustar wrote:
Can I increase my chances of getting something I really want by wanting more things or less things?
You can increase the chances of getting something by offering something of higher value, or by offering something that the trader wants. Just go to the trading geeks profile and check out their 'want in trade' list

Good Luck

This is a good wiki to learn the OLWLG...
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/OLWLG

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sosa
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
I will break him.
mbmbmbmbmb
Blustar:

1. No

2. No. The value of the game is not taken into account by the program.

3. You are able to proritize the games you are willing to accept for one of your trades and the system does give your first preference greater weight than your second. How this is done though would require a little research which I haven't done yet. Try checking the faq for the OWLG, I saw it there.

4. The system will attempt to maximize the number of trades. So it will give Powergrid to the person that would create the most trades possible.

5. You can increase the chances of getting a game you really want by having more of your own games listed as willing to trade for that want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Corzo
United States
Pembroke Pines
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks David and Mike

So you can list a want for the same game multiple times with different games? Interesting...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Rodriguez
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davidchujr wrote:
Blustar wrote:

You can select multiple games listing of yours that you are willing to trade away for any particular game that you desire, but if there is a trade, it would be for one game listing for another game listing.
(I used the word game listing because sometimes a entry in the tradelist may contain more then a single item)

I know it's confusing in the beginning so let me know if there is anything else I can help explain.
-David

But is this not why it would help for people to know that they can combine games into one entry so as to increase the value of the given entry.

For example, Klaus put up the TtR: Mystery Train expansion. Who is going to trade for that entry? Or the person who posted that Saga game. Participants need to be shown an example of a game entry that includes "sweetners."

This is also important if one has a desire for picking up an expensive. If I post Tide of Iron [which I intend to do later today], what am I going to be willing to trade it for? Very little because there are only a few games that are of equivalent value.

We may want to consider allowing participants to edit their entries to remedy this. Any thoughts?

Henry R.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chu
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
callidusx3 wrote:

But is this not why it would help for people to know that they can combine games into one entry so as to increase the value of the given entry.

For example, Klaus put up the TtR: Mystery Train expansion. Who is going to trade for that entry? Or the person who posted that Saga game. Participants need to be shown an example of a game entry that includes "sweetners."

This is also important if one has a desire for picking up an expensive. If I post Tide of Iron [which I intend to do later today], what am I going to be willing to trade it for? Very little because there are only a few games that are of equivalent value.

We may want to consider allowing participants to edit their entries to remedy this. Any thoughts?

Henry R.

very good point
(There is nothing currently listed that I would trade Space Hulk for)

You can always edit your entry and add sweetners. You will include it in the comments field. The format is this:
[ gameid=11002 ]
[ imageid=55143 ]
(take the spaces out for it to work)

Where the 'gameid' is the number of the game found on the game you are listing from boardgamegeek. That number is found in the 'Board Game Entry', on the bottom right side called 'ObjectID'
'imageid' is the number that shows up for the link to the image you want to use, on the bottom of your browser, when you mouse over a picture. For example the above image would give me 'www.boardgamegeek.com/images/55143/farfalia', the image id is 55143

You can add sweetners to existing games. If you decide to merge a few games that you listed together. Please DO NOT DELETE the ones no longer availabe, instead edit the comments that it has been merge or whatever and summit a blank wantlist for that listing so it wouldn't get any trades.

Hope that helps,
-David

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sosa
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
I will break him.
mbmbmbmbmb
I had not given any thought to this. I had thought a cheap little game would likely be traded for another cheap little game. Combining entries seems tricky because how do you know that the owner of the expensive game wants that combination of titles? I would think you would be more likely to trade the games individually.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Rodriguez
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It just depends on your own desires. If you are eyeballing an expensive game, but do not have anything that is roughly equivalent, then you might offer several games together as one lot in hopes of tempting others to take it.

Of course, small games for small games always works too (but I think some are too small like Saga and TtR: Mystery Train).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.