Subject: Events prohibited rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tomas Lundin
Sweden
Åtvidaberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm trying to learn TS from the rules since I don't have a copy of the game yet and I have a question. It probably won't be the last and thus I'm really glad BGG exists!

Rules quote: "If a card play triggers an opponent's Event, but play of that event has been prohibited by a superseding Event card, then the Event does not occur, and the card remains in play for Operations points only."

The rules example of this, if I understand it correctly, would be (quote):

"The US player plays 'Arab-Israeli War' for 2 Ops. However, during his previous Action Round he played 'Camp David Accords' which prohibits play of 'Arab-Israeli War' as an Event. The US player would still conduct 2 operations, but the USSR player would not get the benefit of the Event, and the card would not be removed from the game."

So, 'Arab-Israeli War' would be put on the discard pile and could later be shuffled back into the game and the Event occur? Or how long is the effect of 'Camp David Accords' stopping it from happening? Or did'Camp David Accords' stop 'Arab-Israeli War' from ever happening in the game (I should think not)?

Forgive a noob, but these things have to be asked... modest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Thy
Denmark
Taastrup
flag msg tools
Together, we are the United Nations
badge
Gunulfr ok Øgotr ok Aslakr ok Rolfr resþu sten þænsi æftir Ful, felaga sin, ær warþ ... døþr, þa kunungar barþusk.
mb
towncrier wrote:
Or did'Camp David Accords' stop 'Arab-Israeli War' from ever happening in the game?

Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Ferreira
Portugal
Porto Salvo
Porto Salvo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Or did'Camp David Accords' stop 'Arab-Israeli War' from ever happening in the game (I should think not)?

To clarify. Yes.

After Camp David Accords, when someone plays Arab-Israeli War the only option is to use the 2 OP points.

If you are playing US, you have the 2 OPs and the event will not be triggered. If you are playing USSR he cannot trigger it and can only use the OPs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Hewson
United Kingdom
Surbiton
Surrey
flag msg tools
I bought this...
badge
...as I had no idea what to spend my GG on!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
"The US player plays 'Arab-Israeli War' for 2 Ops. However, during his previous Action Round he played 'Camp David Accords' which prohibits play of 'Arab-Israeli War' as an Event. The US player would still conduct 2 operations, but the USSR player would not get the benefit of the Event, and the card would not be removed from the game."

This is correct, just to note that Arab-Israeli War isn't removed from the game when it happens for the event (it isn't a starred evet), it can happen 3 or 4 times in the game potentially.

Quote:
So, 'Arab-Israeli War' would be put on the discard pile and could later be shuffled back into the game and the Event occur?

Yes, but that would have happened even if the event had occurred (see above). A better example is Willy Brandt which is cancelled and prevented by Tear Down This Wall, if Willy is played first the card is removed from the game and his event endures until Tear Down This Wall happens, if Tear Down comes first then the Willy event cannot happen and the card will go back to the discard pile.

Quote:
Or how long is the effect of 'Camp David Accords' stopping it from happening?

All the continuing (underlined) events keep having their effect for the rest of the game or until specifically cancelled (for instance, Evil Empire specifically cancels Flower Power). So the Camp David Accords event being played represents an enduring peace between Arabs and Israelis...well at least an end to open hostilities!

EDIT - Why do people always phone me when I'm mid post?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Jacobsen
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cancelling A-I War
And, for what it is worth, in the specific case of Arab-Isreali Wars being cancelled by Camp David, this War card no longer gives 2 VP to the USSR for the Flower Power event if the US plays it for Ops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.