Subject: Language Dependecy Filter in Adv. Game Search rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tiago Silva
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmb
Language Dependecy Filter in Adv. Game Search

Should be very easily done since there are only 5 degrees of Language Dependence.

Like thoses filter for Rating, and Weight, one would simply specify in the Adv. Game Search that we only want to see, for instance, games that have from no language dependably up to some necessary text.

It can't be much work, and it would be tremendously useful for players like me live in countries where English is not the native language. In my group there are several people that dont speak fluent English, and i can't bring just any game that requires that to the table, so when i'm considering my next buy, i want to be able to filter those games out, without having to click in every single one.

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mb
You can do this for your collection as follows:

1. Go to My Geek > Collection.
2. Click on the Download boardgames link at the top-right of the page, either all or owned. This will download your collection as a csv file.
3. Open the csv file in a spreadsheet program, e.g. Excel.
4. One of the columns is called "bgglanguagedependence" - filter this column for "No necessary in-game text"

Alternatively, you can download WhatToPlay, which does a similar thing with a nice user interface. If you want to use this, you'll also need to install the Adobe AIR framework: http://get.adobe.com/air

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Silva
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmb
Doesn't that work only for my collection, i'm talking about the games search, all games, not just my collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mb
True, it does only work for your collection, so not any help in finding games by language dependence in the first place.

But, when you find games you might want to buy, you can mark them as such in the user info section of the game page (either the 'Want to Buy' tick box, or the 'Wishlist' drop-down). They would then show in your collection and you could use the methods above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.