Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Oakey
United Kingdom
Sittingbourne
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
... has anybody got, or used, one of these?

http://www.printerland.co.uk/acatalog/Brother_MFC_6490CW.htm...

Just wondering if it was worth getting, how expensive it is to run, etc?

Thanks
Andy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I have the smaller brother (pun UN-intended, believe it or not) to the one you're asking about, and we think it's great.

I don't actually do a whole lot of printing, so I got this smaller one, the MFC 495cw, but it does just what we need, so we're very happy with it.

I've done a fair amount of printing, color and b/w, and have not had to replace ink cartridges yet...I can't really comment on that, because that's really just a matter of how much printing one does with it. It does use multi-cartridges, which I prefer.

Anyway, even though it's not the same model as the one you're looking at, we are very happy with our Brother.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M H
Germany
Göttingen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
awakener76 wrote:
... has anybody got, or used, one of these?

http://www.printerland.co.uk/acatalog/Brother_MFC_6490CW.htm...

Just wondering if it was worth getting, how expensive it is to run, etc?

This can't be answered without knowing what you print, how much and where you buy your ink.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to Chit Chat
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Oakey
United Kingdom
Sittingbourne
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I print the odd photo, plus I work as a web designer, so there's occasional contracts/invoices/etc. along with screenshots.

However, these days it seems the most common things for me to print are PnP games from here, and my own game prototypes. That's the reason I want the larger format printer, to make it easier to print game boards.

As for ink, either online or from the local Comet (which I appreciate is horribly expensive, but is immediate)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M H
Germany
Göttingen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
awakener76 wrote:
Well I print the odd photo, plus I work as a web designer, so there's occasional contracts/invoices/etc. along with screenshots.

However, these days it seems the most common things for me to print are PnP games from here, and my own game prototypes. That's the reason I want the larger format printer, to make it easier to print game boards.

Inkjets are better at photos, but only on special, expensive paper and with the right ink. Though, some prints are also not waterproof or fade rather quickly depending on the type of ink.
Lasers are a mixed bunch when it comes to photos. Some are good, some are not so good. But you can always use standard paper.
But for good photo prints i would order proper developed photos.

For contracts/invoices/screenshots laser printers are so much better. The colour looks more vivid, more uniform, brighter. Also the text is much, much better.

The only benefit of this printer is the A3 size. This is where a big inkjet is not much more expensive than the smaller model. Only the head has to much a longer distance. A A3 colour laser costs at least 4-5x more than the entry level A4 colour lasers.

I would only buy an inkjet if i would have to print good photo prints immediately and if i can't wait to get developed photos. Or if i have to print directly onto compact discs.
In all other cases i would go for a laser.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Oakey
United Kingdom
Sittingbourne
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What it comes down to at the end of the day is I just can't afford (or justify the cost of) an A3 laser. Plus I like the ability to scan/photocopy, so that would restrict my options further.

One option is to go for something like this:
http://www.printerland.co.uk/acatalog/HP_CM1312.html

Which doesn't do A3, but would be cheaper to run, produce better prints and does duplexing. Not sure if it does borderless printing, which would make up for the lack of A3.

Other similar options are:
http://www.misco.co.uk/applications/SearchTools/item-details...=
http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/1777333/art/samsung/clx-3175...
http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/2293125/art/brother/mfc-9440...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M H
Germany
Göttingen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your first option is like my printer:
http://www.printerland.co.uk/acatalog/hp_cp1515n.html
For 109 GBP it's a steal. That's around 149€ with tax. I paid 189€ not long ago and that was the cheapest price on- and offline. But i doubt that you will find a laser that has borderless printing.
An entry level scanner costs around 60€ here. I prefer to have separate devices, because if you want to upgrade or have to replace one part of these multi function devices, you basically throw away the part that is still working. (In fact i have an old printer/scanner/copier which i use as a scanner, but it was for free from my ex girlfriend).

I all comes to the question: A3 or no A3?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Oakey
United Kingdom
Sittingbourne
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What I'd really love is a borderless A£ multi-function where the paper tray is flat at the back so the paper doesn't have to bend at all on the way through (thus allowing use of thicker cards), but I doubt all that can be got for a price anything like justifiable by the amount of printing I do.

I'm really torn between the quality/speed/running costs of a laser against the A3/photo of the inkjet. Will have to think on it a bit more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
I have a very old inkjet that keeps chugging along. I use it to print stuff that will eventually be thrown away. Usually in draft mode and always in B&W.

If I have serious printing to do, I burn it to disk and take it to Kinkos to do it for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M H
Germany
Göttingen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you print a game board, why not print it in a print shop?
I could even order a 30x45cm (slightly over A3) poster for 1.29€ + 1.99€ shipping.
I don't know if this is an option for you, it depends on how often you need to print A3. Maybe it's better to print prototypes on two A4 pages and the final board in a print shop. Don't forget to consider that you have to pay for the ink and good A3 photo paper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Oakey
United Kingdom
Sittingbourne
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem is finding a print shop at that sort of price point. I've tried two local print shops, both were expensive, both couldn't print on anything thicker than a rather thin card (thick paper would be a better description!).

There's just no where local that I can walk into with a usb stick and ask them to print something, where I will get good results at a reasonable price.

For example, the city of guilds board I got printed cost me £5, was too dark and the paper stock disappointing. At least if I was printing here I could adjust the settings and get the paper stock I wanted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M H
Germany
Göttingen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was quoting a rather cheap online print shop, hence the shipping costs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendrick Martin
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
http://gizmodo.com/5445812/why-i-believe-printers-were-sent-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helen Holzgrafe
United States
Happy Valley
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I looked at this printer/scanner a while back, too and ended up rejecting it. I use the scanner a lot to scan box lids and sides for creating tuckbox patterns. The larger the scan area, the less likely I'll need to make two scans and stitch them together.

I thought this large format scanner would be wonderful. Well, the test scans I made were lackluster in quality and particularly in color matching. The test prints I made were washed out and muddy. I couldn't justify spending money for that. So, I found an HP all-in-one that at least went to legal sized paper (for those outside the US that's normal size plus about another finger length in length). It suits my needs better.

I've also had color laserprinters. Now, talk about way too expensive for supplies...

If you want large maps/boards, go to your local print/copy shop. In the US we use Fedex/Kinko's. They can print something poster sized on plain paper in black and white for about $5. Color is ten times more expensive. So, when Rick is working on a new game, he comes home nearly every night with a new map to color in.

Hope this helps.

-Helen
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.