Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alistair Hutton
United Kingdom
Glasgow
Unspecified
flag msg tools
My base set of rules.

Bid in turn starting from dealer's left.
10 points +1 point for each trick in your bid if you make it
0 points if you fail to make your bid

Person who bids last (the dealer) may not make a bid that makes the total number of tricks bid equal to the total number of tricks avalable, so will always be over or under bid. [I consider this rule to be the most important, without this it's just another trick taking game, with it it's a source of mental anguish :-) ]

Deal from 10 to 1 (although I think I'm going to experiment with 1 to 10 after thinking about it)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Curtis
United States
Plainfield
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Quick Comments
Alistair Hutton (#6300),

We use the same scoring system you do. However, we frequently play this game at lunch with up to 8 players. I actually think the game plays best with 6 players, going 8 up and down. If we play with 8 players we play two 6-card hands at the beginning and end of the game so it doesn't end to quickly.

We also added another house rule that causes much anquish. No players can bid zero more that twice consecutively. If you have bid zero twice in a row, you must bid greater than zero on the next hand. If you have bid zero two times in a row and then have to deal, you can end up with two different numbers you cannont bid. If the sum of all bids forces the dealer to bid zero then that overrides the no zero bid three times in a row.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jcurtis55 (#74408),

I play with the following rules:

Start at 1 card each, ascend to the max # of cards, then descend to 1.

For 3 players, go to 17 cards each.
For 4 players, go to 13 cards each (no trump on 13-card hand).
For 5 players, go to 10 cards each.

I've not played with 6 players, but I think it'd be too easy to sluff (don't take tricks).

Scoring:
10+1 per trick bid, if the correct number of tricks are taken.
0 points if more or less tricks are taken.

Optional: 5 points for a 0 bid. (Punish those who sluff.)
Optional: last bidder must make the bids uneven. (That's pretty harsh for the 1 or 2 card rounds, though. Having it all work out may be non-confrontational, but it favors current leaders and those who bid high.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Biggar
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dalestephenson (#451048),
We play by similar rules with the following additions:

1) subtract your bid if you don't make.
2) dealer must make total of bids uneven.
3) throw in the joker, it's smallest trump and if drawn as
trump determiner you play no-trump.
4) we call the game "To hell and back" because you must make the same bids on the way back down as you made on the corresponding hand up. The trip back should be harder then the trip there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dunlap
United States
Alpharetta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
One more variation (I was taught the game as "Swing 13"):

1) A game is 26 rounds -- starting with 13 card hands, marching downwards to 1 card hands, and then from 1 back to 13. (We experimented exactly once with "Swing 17" when we only had three players available... *way* too long a game.)

2) Play with both jokers in the deck. The jokers are the highest trumps -- if both are played to the same trick, the second joker takes the trick. If the joker is turned up as the trump indicator, dealer calls trump.

3) Scoring -- if you make your bid exactly, you score the number of tricks you bid. If you miss your bid high or low, you lose a number of points equal to the number of tricks your bid was off by. (e.g. If you bid 4 and make 4, that's +4. 3 or 5 is -1. 2 or 6 is -2.)

4) The dealer is not required to make the total uneven -- that is left as a tactical decision (just as in other trick-taking games).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Some call me Ron
United States
Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules I always play with:

~ 7 or 8 up then down depending on how many players. e.g. 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1
~ 10 + 1 point per bid if you bid one or more.
~ If you bid zero it is 5 + how many cards are played. e.g. On one card hand and bid zero and make bid you get 6 points, on a 8 card hand and bid zero and you get your bid you will get 13 points.
~ 0 points if you don't make your bid.
~ Left of dealer bids first.
~ Dealer (last bidder) can bid and make tricks equal.
~ Always follow suit and if caught cheating -30 points.

This is the card game of choice for my group and by far my favorite card game. Every once in a blue moon we will play with different rules (dealer can't make it even, 1 card hand indian poker style, and a few others) but we always go back to these rules. Played with as many as 9 people but prefer not to play with more then 7.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.