Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
I wanted to like this, but despite Mario's best efforts, I think it's broken. In this auction game, you're bidding on gem cards to make a necklace. A necklace has a center stone and then pairs of stones on either side, going out as many pairs as you like (for example, you might have garnet-topaz-diamond-topaz-garnet). Stones range in value from 1 to 10 - a necklace is worth the sum of the stone values multiplied by the number of different stone types in it. On each turn, gem cards are turned over until stones with a total value of at least 4 are showing, at which point the auctioning player can run a regular or Dutch auction. You can use previously bought stones (including necklaces) to pay.

So, what's the problem? Well, for starters, everyone begins with just $10, which is basically enough to win one auction. The only way to get more money (other than a free handout of a few bucks when the deck is reshuffled, or a one-time sale of a necklace to the bank for $10 max) is to run an auction, which gets you half the proceeds (or a gem, if gems were used to pay). The only way to run an auction is to win the previous auction. This produced a feedback loop where Player A runs an auction, Player B wins, Player B runs the next auction, Player A wins because he has more money than anyone else, Player A runs an auction which Player B wins...

If someone publishes precise English rules for this, I'll read them and see if we were doing something wrong, but if not, I'm afraid it just doesn't work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.