Subject: Session Report rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
Aha! Finally a chance to play B,K,&E with another living soul! After having a look at the scenarios, I decided we should give the full-impact 'open' scenario a try. The others, while good to teach the game, seemed to leave one player in a more stifling position in that they could not play through whole B,K,&E cycles, rather they were stuck as an Empire or Kingdom/Empire without being able to try the Barbarian phase.

Anyway, I took the Slav starting position, and Roman took the German starting position. We both grew the barbarian tribes for the first 6, 7 rounds, and these went quickly. I converted to armies first, signalling the beginning of transition to Kingdom. I had a disasterours start, losing two of my precious units in a failed attack, and made an error of attacking a border garrison in lieu of a city space, and so immediately fell behind the Germans who grabbed several cities early.

While I could at least stay within hailing distance as Roman suffere a couple corruption events, I could never make up for my two early blunders, one my own fault, and one a bad roll. Roman swept easily through Gaul and Italy, and with the aid of no less than three 'good ruler' results, was so replete with cash he could overwhelm Iberia and move into England and Northern Africa at will, overwhelming the opposition with 3-1 and 4-1 superiority at every step. He suffered a smallish rebellion within his Kingdom, but supressed it, but at the cost of his leader. Meanwhile, I slowly trudged down towards Greece, took several Eastern cities, but could never get enough going to really challenge. My Empire stage came early, and I was paralyzed for lack of funds, and my desperate ploy to invade Italy and draw off his troops from my borders was thwarted by another of his 'good leader' results. I had to concede the Empire.

Had there been time, I would have started another barbarian group, but as it was, we just decided to end the match. I scored something like 130 and Roman was in the mid 200s, so it was not close. He was poised to conquer almost all the board without having yet entered Empire stage, owing to his ability to stave it off with huge expenditures on the Administration table.

I love this game. It played pretty quickly: we got in about 25 turns in three hours, including setup and rules. I'd love to see this game with a few more players, and how it looks as barbarians, kingdoms, and empires are all in existance at the same time. Some real agonizing decisions, lower counter density, and a variety of available strategies makes this a winner for me. Roman seemed to like it, but felt he could not get enough armies on the board. I think he, too, would try again, and would be interested to see how it played with a couple more folks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.