Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
2 Posts

Power Struggle» Forums » Sessions

Subject: 5 Players - A Run on the Share Market and Self Archnemesis Wins Again rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Avri Balofsky
Israel
Beit Shemesh
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Avri+, Ari (-2 turns), Mory (-3 turns), Yaakov (-3 turns), Eliezer (-~8 turns)

I've decided to write down final scores in this in "how many actions away from victory" instead of in straight victory points b/c it seems to make more sense and isn't too hard to figure out. The game always seems to last approximately 3 directors meetings (not including the first one). Though this one ended just before the third as I stole an early victory buying the last victory point I needed (in influence) by actually using the Legal & Patents ability (though in truth I had the spare 3 employees to fire anyways).

Due to turn order, I started with 2 divisions, Yaakov started with 1 division and being the chairman, and everybody else had 1 divisional head and maybe some others other board. The game featured some heavy bribing for the chairman role as I paid a total of 950K to Eliezer for the role twice, and Yaakov paid me 1.3Million for the role twice (though the first time was in an insane 1.2 million chunk bid after I had paid Eliezer 400K for it).

The shares situation was also quite amusing. I bought into shares earlier than anyone else and with the high income I had from board members, and the high bribe(s) I received I was able to secure the 7,6,6 shares. Ari also started to buy into shares and picked up a 6 and 7 share. Mory picked up a simple block of 5 shares. Then Eliezer threw in a monkey wrench and bough bought a 7 block too. Now evidently Eliezer was Mory's archnemesis and Mory had to beat Eliezer in shares so he bought another 5 block. Eliezer also bought another 5 block, and now Ari couldn't get to the victory point level in shares with only 1 action.

Shares are probably the category that requires the fewest actual actions to acquire victory point level, usually 3. However there is a time constraint as to how fast you can do it b/c you need the money for it. So stocks being limited ensures people shouldn't just wait until they have accomplished everything else and then cash in their money for stock points. The limited market makes this condition far more tense than it would have been otherwise.

Ari was also dealt himself as his archnemesis, but his categories were Main Departments, Experience, and a third which he ignored. If he had hit VP level in shares he would have won.

Yaakov and Mory were both trying to hit the VP in corruption, but Yaakov had Mory as his archnemesis and needed to end up above Mory by at least one level, and was a few turns away.

I still want to assess how much the archnemesis you are dealt (self or other) and the categories you are dealt it in affect your chances for victory. So far both victories had themselves dealt as the archnemesis. It seems to allow for more flexibility. It might also be that we don't know how to approach certain tracks properly and it is actually well balanced. I'm willing to give it a few more tries before I would try to tweak anything, but I am pondering the idea modifying the goal categories you get. Either do away with it entirely and let you choose the three you want to beat your archnemesis in (this may be self balancing as if some tracks are perceived to be easier or work well together then more people will attempt them and make it harder), or maybe say you need 3/4 of the categories and you can choose which to ignore, so you get a smiliar flexibility to being dealt yourself. Regardless I want to try a few more games and attempt a few other vp tracks myself before attempting to change anything.

I think I want to write up a strategic assessment of all the VP categories with regards to the number of actions and/or time that is required to succeed at them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darcy Dueck
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting session report, thank you for sharing it.

One of the most simple but, most effective tactics is that if you don't have Shares on your competency card then when you are the controller put the cash card out early. This limits the amount of cash paid out because players have fewer turns to add managers to the board.

The game changes drastically if you constrain the cash supply. The controller and accounting departments become very week and the players who require Shares will have a very difficult if not impossible time advancing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.