Chad Bowser
United States
Kernersville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
OK. I played the Innsmouth expansion for the first time yesterday. It was a friend's copy, not mine, so I didn't get to read the rules. A situation arose that I was unsure of, and wanted to get other people's take on.

The character playing Silas Marsh met the pass conditions for his personal story.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
The card said he could select an open gate of his choice and destroy it, but be devoured in the process.

It was decided that he could use that power at a time of his choosing (if at all). So, he waited until there were five defeated gates (which, I also believe they are doing wrong b/c they were fighting gates without going through them and then claiming the trophy), and then during the upkeep phase sacrificed himself to take out the sixth gate.

Is that a correct interpretation of his story card? I would assume that it would happen as soon as the conditions are met and not be a power he can hold in reserve. Like I said, though, I haven't read the rules for that expansion yet.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
You may try to pass it at any time. But you must take the "pass" condition immediately. But if the Fail condition is met, you obviously, can't attempt the Pass any longer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
You may try to pass it at any time. But you must take the "pass" condition immediately. But if the Fail condition is met, you obviously, can't attempt the Pass any longer.

Not really "at any time" with Silas:

http://www.arkhamhorrorwiki.com/ImagesSilasMarshFront.png

("during the Upkeep Phase")

Also, since it says "Silas may...", seems like you can hold off on using his PS to seal a gate until you want to activate it (hoping not to Fail while waiting of course).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Bowser
United States
Kernersville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Thanks for the quick reply. Looks like they were doing it incorrectly then. The player met the criteria, spent the clue tokens and trophies, took the card, and then held the unplayed card in front of him until he wanted to use it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:

Not really "at any time" with Silas:

http://www.arkhamhorrorwiki.com/ImagesSilasMarshFront.png

("during the Upkeep Phase")

Also, since it says "Silas may...", seems like you can hold off on using his PS to seal a gate until you want to activate it (hoping not to Fail while waiting of course).

By "any time" I mean "the upkeep phase of your choosing." Obviously you follow the instructions of the card.

My point is you can hold off on trying to pass the condition but as soon as you pass it, you must take the "reward." You can't pass it at your earliest convenience and then hold on to the card and then seal the gate when it is convenient. If you aren't ready to seal and be devoured, then don't pass the condition right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
cjbowser wrote:
Thanks for the quick reply. Looks like they were doing it incorrectly then. The player met the criteria, spent the clue tokens and trophies, took the card, and then held the unplayed card in front of him until he wanted to use it.

Exactly. and thanks for the tip!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
You're also correct in your belief that a gate cannot be closed until the criteria of exploring the corresponding OW is met.

There is no entering the location, closing the gate, claiming the trophy
and moving away the next turn. During the Arkham Encounters Phase, the
encounter is being drawn through the gate, into the OW.

I don't quite understand what the player did. Did he spend the clues and trophies, grab the gate as a trophy and decide he wasn't devoured until he felt like it?

Everyone is right. The devouring takes place at the moment the story is passed. Turn in the stuff and get devoured.

edit: I see. He turned the stuff in but chose not to claim the gate as
a trophy. Not allowed.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Bowser
United States
Kernersville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Thanks everyone for taking the time to answer the questions. It definitely cleared things up. I was able to answer the other questions playing with this group evoked from reading the rulesbooks.

I was 99.9% sure they were incorrect in taking the gates without going through the other worlds first, but haven't read all the rulesbook and errata yet, so there might have been a change.

I wasn't sure about the personal story at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Silas is one of my 2 fav characters from Innsmouth (Akachi Onyele's the other)

Only problem, you can only experience the "shock" of his Personal Story once; after that he's like your ticking time-bomb you can set off any time. He doesn't have to SPEND all the tokens as soon as he gets them; he can wait till whenever to "take one for the team" and seal a gate.

Caution; DO NOT read the Personal Stories ahead of time!! There's at least one other character's Personal Story that comes as an absolutely horrific shock; don't spoil it!
(Same goes for Encounter Cards....believe me, you wanna resist the temptation to peek at ANY of the Location Encounters- the "story" is really well thought out, Bravo to whoever designed all this misery!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.