Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Sitz
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen a number of reviews and game comments that refer to game lengths that I've pretty much never seen. 75, 90 minutes, some even as long as 3 hours for a two player game.

Are we playing the same game? Am I not thinking enough?

Since the end of November, I've played this game a bunch. I haven't been logging plays, but I'd estimate that I've got to be close to 40 or 50, with about 10 of those being 4-player team games. The team games tend to take 90 or more minutes, but the rest seem to average right around the promised 30. This was pretty much the norm after I had played 1 or 2 times.

For every game I have that lasts 45-60 minutes, I have another that ends in 15 due to a new player's mistake. I played three games in two hours yesterday, with a bit of talking in between each game. In the third game, I made a hard push early with my Cave Goblins, but only got the other guy's summoner down to one life. I kept scraping to try to end it, but ultimately lost, and that game took 50 minutes.

How many of the people talking about a longer game are describing their first play or two? Are you still reading what all of the cards do?

Do you take longer than the listed times for most of your other games? I find that my group is usually pretty close to the listed time. Power Grid takes 2 hours. Dominion varies- it's usually 15-20 minutes 2 player, but maybe 30-40 4 player. Settlers of Catan, 70-100 sounds about right, unless my 7-year-old nephew keeps asking to do trades that no one has the resources for! 30-45 minutes for RftG, etc... The big exception is Descent, which probably doesn't include the massive set up and teardown time in its description.

Are most of you guys in my boat? For those who aren't, is it an analysis paralysis situation? Learning the game? Defensive players? Consistent close games that come down to Summoner v. Summoner (even these tend to end in 40 minutes for me it seems).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colby Dauch
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The time I put on the box was the average time it was taking my group to play 2-player games. I quizzed some of the playtesters about how long it was taking them and we all pretty much agreed on a good time to put on the box. These results always vary, I expect most people who have played board games for any length of time find that their time results don't always match the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Sherry
Canada
Truro
NS - Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I rarely hold a game box to be accurate in its game time (within 30 minutes is fine). Myself my Summoner Wars games tend to take abou 30-40 minutes, with the exception of the introduction games.
Then again, there's always the few games where you manage to assassinate the opponents Summoner within 10 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not played it with my wife yet and we tend to be fast. But, playing with my nephew of 16, the games last about 90 minutes. I think 30 minutes is very optimistic for casual players. Probably hardcore players could get in the 30-45 minutes range.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ebon Hawk
United States
Janesville
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played twice and watched one game. They seem to take 30-45 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cartwright
United Kingdom
Spilsby
LINCS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play it with my daughters and it usually takes about 60 mins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ronaldo wrote:
I have not played it with my wife yet and we tend to be fast. But, playing with my nephew of 16, the games last about 90 minutes. I think 30 minutes is very optimistic for casual players. Probably hardcore players could get in the 30-45 minutes range.

I don't think it's an issue of being a hardcore player so much as just a very frequent player. When both players know the units well enough to immediately recognize them on sight, the game time decreases dramatically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cbs42 wrote:
Ronaldo wrote:

I don't think it's an issue of being a hardcore player so much as just a very frequent player. When both players know the units well enough to immediately recognize them on sight, the game time decreases dramatically.

And, at this stage of the game, this is what I mean by hardcore - frequent players. What you said can significantly shave time as I said. But for casual players meaning players who will have this game hit the table occasionally, maybe as part of a rotation, 30-45 minutes is a very optimistic estimate.

In the future, a hardcore Summoner Wars player will mean something else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wind Lane
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
RPGs - Natures way of saying "You would never be able to do this in real life." NOT A BAD THING.
badge
All the world's a stage, and I feel like the janitor.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played three games of Summoner Wars and think the 30 minute playing time is pretty spot on.

I also don't agree that recognizing cards on sight is only "hardcore" gamers. There's only eight units per deck. Three common units, three champions, the walls, and the summoner. Since the majority of your units are those common guys, it's pretty dang easy to get things to flow fairly fast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wind Lane wrote:
I've played three games of Summoner Wars and think the 30 minute playing time is pretty spot on.

I also don't agree that recognizing cards on sight is only "hardcore" gamers. There's only eight units per deck. Three common units, three champions, the walls, and the summoner. Since the majority of your units are those common guys, it's pretty dang easy to get things to flow fairly fast.

I am glad people are getting such a short playing time. It makes me hopeful to have short games when I get my wife into it.

I disagree with your assessment of the deck. You are forgetting that each player is using a unique deck therefore doubling the number of units to be recognized and SW actually offers you 4 unique decks requiring a few more games to get familiar with each one of them. You may also have forgotten about the events which give you a good number of unique cards per deck.

Lastly, good job in taking my comment out context. I never said hardcore gamers. I took the time to explain that I referred as hardcore those players that are or will be playing SW relatively frequently. Check it out.

I think it is helpful for the op to hear that the playtime ranges from 30-120 minutes. But, I have time today to make sure that my comments don't get bent.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wind Lane
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
RPGs - Natures way of saying "You would never be able to do this in real life." NOT A BAD THING.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I apologize for taking your comment out of context by adding the word "gamers" to hardcore.

You, I'm sure, will be understanding enough if I don't apologize for my disagreement. On setup, each player puts out at least one of all three of their common units. Which means, during setup you can figure out what you stuff does. The event cards can be read fast enough that there's no worry about keeping the game moving along in spite of them.

For example, yesterday I played against the goblin deck, a deck I don't even own and had never gotten to look through. In spite of that, I was able to manhandle the other player for most of the game without having to constantly stop and read what each of his cards could do every time I acted.

I find the game extremely fast to pick up and really don't see how the game could make things last longer than a half hour. I can fully see how certain players and their general playing styles could do it, especially as my nephew is one of those types of players.

I may not like that my nephews plays so deliberately, but it is something I accept as part of his personality. I don't, however, believe that he's the right opponent to use as a gauge for how fast a game plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is great that we disagree. Just another tiny disagreement. Evodentl, different players/playing styles will account for variation in the duration but since they are part of the equation, they cannot be entirely discounted. I.e. The game doesn't play itself. I don't have a problem with the time stated in the box, it is a non-issue. I was answering the op's question and giving an opinion. I am very happy with SW, one of the best games I have ever played and I am hoping for a successful run for Plaihatgames.

And, we obviously share the same nephew.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Leoncavallo
United States
Rockland
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My 7yr old son and I have logged four plays so far (Elves for me, Orcs for him each time).

The first game we played took about an hour, though of course we were learning and since the little guy is a first grade reader he had to memorize the cards before he could make quick decisions.

Each successive play has moved towards the time on the box, with our last game hitting right on the nose at 30 minutes.

When I finally pick up the Dwarves/Goblin set I figure it will take 40-50 minutes as we learn the new cards, but with enough plays I think 30 minutes is about where you end up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Houghton
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think we're all beginning to see an average game of 30-45 minutes after you've had some plays and become familiar with the factions.

My 14 year old son and I have played 7 games now, and the quickest was 20 minutes (a mad summoner versus summoner duel) and the longest 70 minutes, when both summoners were surrounded by walls and champions and you had to wear them down. Avergae is deffo 30-45 mins.

SW is a great game. Just right for playing after Game of Thrones if you've still got an hour left before home time beckons, or at the start of a gaming eve when one bloke has turned up early and you've less than an hour before the rest trickle in!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jeter
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My plays tend to go around 45-60 minutes, however I admit, I do suffer from AP(Analysis Paralysis) which probably causes my time to go up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cartwright
United Kingdom
Spilsby
LINCS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a couple more 2 player games with my daughters last night and they where both 45 mins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mrkurtb
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mb
I keep meaning to pay attention to the time but quite frankly once we get rolling we become so engrossed that we forget all about it. If I were to guess, I'd say we're on the upper end of the spectrum, with games going an hour+.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John D
United States
Johnson City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
30-40 minutes

an hour if there is lots of bad dice rolling.

Don't know how you can make a game 3 hours. Even with bad dice rolling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Houghton
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Toolian wrote:
30-40 minutes

an hour if there is lots of bad dice rolling.

Don't know how you can make a game 3 hours. Even with bad dice rolling.

If you keep stopping to get a beer from the fridge, let the cat in, watch that amusing advert on the TV, answer the door, open the pretzels, write down the new guitar riff you've just thought of while looking at The Eater card, answer the text from your mates down the pub, check responses to your posting on Boardgame Geek.... it all adds up, my friend!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Shaw
United States
Kennesaw
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whew! yes it does...I used to game with a guy who would have gotten rather miffed at you for doing half the stuff you described. You see, you would have been impinging on HIS gaming time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helge Løkås
Norway
Mo i Rana
flag msg tools
badge
SOPHIA THE 3RD Subatomic Omni-directional Probative Hyper-responsive Indomitable Abdicator (3rd Design) Nora MA-01
mbmbmbmbmb
I think SW can be a bit like chess, and some people like to think through all the possibilities and therefore use a really long time when they are playing.
I have this buddy of mine that's really slow in that way, and when we play it tends to pass 90 min
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael M
Puerto Rico
del Noreste
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My first play took 4 hours. wow
And we were both familiar with the iOS version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin J
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played three times with a friend last weekend; I have played well over 50 SW games before and he had played about a half dozen times previously. We averaged about 75 minutes per game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wind Lane
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a couple games today, using factions I've never used before - nor even looked through beyond preview looks - and our games took 30-45 minutes.

I seriously can't tell you guys anything other than - it's probably you and/or the folks you're playing with.

I've also seen a number of the higher time posting people later finding out that they were getting some rule or other wrong which was causing their long games - the most damaging of which was a group who thought you reshuffled your deck after you run out of cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.