United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I want to believe
badge
*distinctive theme song whistle*
mbmbmbmbmb
Is using spray sealer on plastic minis necessary? I'm not sure I like the results I've gotten with my matte spray finish; it dulls things up quite a bit. Will the paint start to peel off if I skip that step?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No one takes the time to read anymore.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, some sort of a sealer will extend the life of your paintjobs.

Make sure the sealing compound is gentle enough for plastic.

Future Floor Wax is a great high gloss acrylic sealer that's safe for plastic, if you're unhappy with matt finishes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ty Welch
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A spray on sealer will prolong the life of your miniature, especially if it is banging around in a box against other figures. Your best bet to protect your paint job is to use a good primer and a good sealer. I honestly cannot tell much of a difference between how a sealed mini looks vs a non-sealed one.

You can always try a semi-gloss sealer if the matte doesnt work for you. Or perhaps you should switch brands. We are using a brand we picked up called Plaid Patricia Nimocks Clear Acrylic Sealer and really cannot tell that its on the figure once we spray it on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I want to believe
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't realize they made semi-gloss sealers. I'll look into that, and if that isn't to my liking, I'll sniff around for a few different brands.

Thanks for the responses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I want to believe
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another question-- how many passes do you usually take over your minis with the sealant? I took quite a few to make sure they were all covered, so maybe I just got a bit overly zealous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Tak
United States
Chapin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use matte spray and usually do two good coats about a day apart. Spray, let dry undisturbed, and spray again. If I'm doing something that had a gloss coat already (dipped mini, for example) I'll do one spray of matte. A few seconds, just enough to knock some of the shine out of the gloss varnish. It just takes a little practice to get used to
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sheely
United States
Hayward
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard talk of dipping them in light brown laquer. i remember some fantastic looking mini's being dipped in one of those pint cans from Home Despot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sturk
United States
Hudson
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use plain old elmer's glue. I like the slightly rubbery finish it leaves. No idea how long tern durable it is though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike zebrowski
United States
Unspecified
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Future Floor Wax: This stuff is the bomb. I usually apply it with a cheap Testors airbrush. After it drys I apply a matte varnish (either an airbrush matte varnish or DullCoat) to take away the shine.

Minwax + Future: This make a great "magic dip" that shades a miniature and gives it a tough coating. Again, I dull the miniature afterwards with matte varnish or DullCoat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I want to believe
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't heard about finishing with floor wax before. What purpose does the wax under dullcoat serve?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike zebrowski
United States
Unspecified
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
imyourskribe wrote:
I haven't heard about finishing with floor wax before. What purpose does the wax under dullcoat serve?

Hard shell finish. Think about it, Future floor finish (it isn't really a wax), is designed to protect tile from people walking upon them all day. Since I started using it, my chip rate on my minis has gone way down.

More information can be found here:
http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=85629
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wells
United States
Centralia
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Future is a clear acrylic sealer that's very tough and resistant to handling. It's also slightly flexible, making it great for plastic minis. Before I got into painting minis, I used Future on my plastic models.

You can buy Tamiya flat base (Squadron.com has it most of the time) and mix it with Future to get a matte coat. Just mix in until it's cloudy then spray on a coat. If it's not flat enough, add a little more to your mix.

I've also used Future as a thinner for the airbrush with white acrylic paint to use as a base coat. Future will stick to anything, and pretty much any paint will stick to Future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Foos
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found a trick on the net that helps with keeping the paint on plastic. I'm talking about that slick plastic that is bendable. After paint, brush on undiluted Elmers glue. It flexes with the plastic and keeps the paint on and in place. It shrinks up so much that it is not even noticeable once dry. You may look at it when you first paint it on and go "What did I do!?!?!" but trust me. Try it on one fig and you'll see what I mean.
Also, I found that the Testors Dullcoat I use sometimes leaves miniatures too flat and gloss leaves it too shiny. I seal my figs first with Krylon Crystal Clear, Let dry then hit it with Dullcoat. It seems to give a semi gloss but not too glossy look. I like this too because dullcoat doesn't protect very well, but a good goat of clear coat gives a nice protective coating and the Dullcoat takes the over the top shine but leaves enough. I am especially using this on my GW Space Marines. Dullcoat alone looks really flat and almost 2 dimensional and a lot of the details were just lost. After Crystal Clear (gloss) and then tone it down with Dullcoat, it leaves enough shine to believe it is armor, and brought back out the details. I don't use Elmers on hard plastic like GW products, but on soft plastic like Army Men kind of plastic. My advice would be to try it out on a fig you don't care about and experiment until you get the coat, shine and durability you are looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I want to believe
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh my. So many different things to try here. Guess I'd better get experimentin'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Loyd
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another technique is to use matte\Dullcote spray the whole figure then come back and brush gloss to the areas that need to shine: metal armor, blood, etc. I really like this constrast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.