Subject: NESTORGAMES newsletter - Alliances rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Nestor [+] [View All]
Néstor Romeral Andrés
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Microbadge: nestorgames fanMicrobadge: Adaptoid fanMicrobadge: Parent of One GirlMicrobadge: Ni-Ju fanMicrobadge: Arcade fan
Re: NESTORGAMES newsletter - Mammalath
Mammalath published!

https://nestorgames.com/mammalath_detail.html

A strategy game for 2 players by Grant Fikes.

Mammalath is an animal-themed board game inspired by the idea of having a winning condition and a losing condition that's a subset of the winning condition, as seen in Yavalath (by Cameron Browne's Ludi) and Manalath (by Dieter Stein and Néstor Romeral Andrés). The goal is to capture three squares in a horizontal, vertical, or diagonal row which don't contain animals. However, if you make three in a row and at least one animal is in those cells, you lose! (Think of the members of an animal activist group getting angry at you for capturing the animals.) To win, you must strategically free the animals while going for three in a row.

COMPONENTS

Base game: Board (21x30 cm pad), 36 animal pieces in 6 colours (3mm thick laser-cut acrylic), 36 plastic cones in 2 colours, cotton case.

Expansion (advanced game): two of each animal from the base game, plus eight each of two new animals and 28 cones in two colours

This game has been nestorboostered.

Board Game: Mammalath

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Néstor Romeral Andrés
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Microbadge: nestorgames fanMicrobadge: Adaptoid fanMicrobadge: Parent of One GirlMicrobadge: Ni-Ju fanMicrobadge: Arcade fan
From January 1st, the following shipping flat fees will be applied:

Spain: 4 Eur (note that 21% VAT will still be applied)

European Union: 7 Eur (note that 21% VAT will still be applied)

Rest of European continent: 7 Eur

Rest of the world: 15 Eur
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Rodriguez
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I love Puerto Rico!
Out of curiosity, did anyone ask Cameron Browne if naming this thing this way was ok? I only ask because my initial thought was "Oh cool another Cameron Browne LUDO game".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Boyung
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Gaming Hoopla attendeeMicrobadge: Green Bay Packers fanMicrobadge: Milwaukee Brewers fanMicrobadge: Important announcement about BGG communication!Microbadge: 2020 Ultimate Supporter
Kaelistus wrote:
Out of curiosity, did anyone ask Cameron Browne if naming this thing this way was ok? I only ask because my initial thought was "Oh cool another Cameron Browne LUDO game".
What in the world are you talking about? It looks to me that Cameron Browne games just have random made up names. He doesn't have an exclusive right to make up random names. And why in the world would anyone need his "okay" to name their game as "random made up word X"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: I speak EsperantoMicrobadge: Abstract fanMicrobadge: Plays Games with SpouseMicrobadge: Modern abstract games fanMicrobadge: Vegan
motoyugota wrote:
Kaelistus wrote:
What in the world are you talking about? It looks to me that Cameron Browne games just have random made up names. He doesn't have an exclusive right to make up random names. And why in the world would anyone need his "okay" to name their game as "random made up word X"?
FWIW it's not as random and made up as you suggest; Mammalath seems clearly a combination of "mammal" and Manalath (by Dieter Stein and Nestor), which itself refers to Yavalath (which came from the Ludi (sic) program, along with Pentalath), all of which end with -alath.

That said, I agree Cameron doesn't have an exclusive right to names ending with -alath.

It is sort of similar to how most of the Shibumi game titles start with SP (for Square Pyramid)...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Rodriguez
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
motoyugota wrote:
Kaelistus wrote:
Because there's a clear connection between

Yavalath
Pentalath, and
Mammalath

(The game is referencing Yavalath in the idea of having a losing rule be a subset of the winning rule.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Néstor Romeral Andrés
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
We've kind of adopted '-lath' as 'win with a set, lose with a subset'.

Edit: Also check Tailath
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Morse
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Notre Dame fan - I play with 7 playersMicrobadge: Game ExplainerMicrobadge: nestorgames fanMicrobadge: Rules TranslatorMicrobadge: Notre Dame fan - I play with 6 players
russ wrote:
It is sort of similar to how most of the Shibumi game titles start with SP (for Square Pyramid)...
Although on this point, Russ, that was actually by very strong request by Néstor. Not a single one of my original titles for my Shibumi games were Sp-, but Néstor politely yet firmly requested otherwise. I'm pretty sure I recall at least one other person receiving a similar request. For a few examples, my original titles were along the lines of White-Black-Red, Lavaflow, Two-Fisted Bluff, Triji, Snowdrift, Offspring, and so forth….

OK, Grant, you know what this all means? It's time to design Lanamath! I know you've got the mathematical and combinatoric chops for this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Rodriguez
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
nestorgames wrote:

Gotcha.. Although Pentalath doesn't follow that convention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Néstor Romeral Andrés
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Kaelistus wrote:
nestorgames wrote:

Correct. Although the original name of Pentalath was Ndengrod. Cameron changed it to Pentalath in order to relate it to its 'brother' game. However, I like Ndengrod.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Néstor Romeral Andrés
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
nestorgames wrote:
Kaelistus wrote:
nestorgames wrote:

Correct. Although the original name of Pentalath was Ndengrod. Cameron changed it to Pentalath in order to relate it to its 'brother' game. However, I like Ndengrod.
As a side note, Pentalath (Ndengrod) is an 'accidental' reinvention of Andantino but adding a -trapezoidal- board. Also the board was changed to the Yavalath's one by Cameron himself. We realized later on that the original trapezoidal board -by LUDI- is much better.

So, to sum it all up, maybe Cameron should have left Ndengrod untouched (and he agrees)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Browne
Netherlands
Maastricht
Limburg
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my Digital Ludeme Project: http://www.ludeme.eu
badge
Researcher in AI and automated game design.
Microbadge: Zener Card - circleMicrobadge: Zener Card - crossMicrobadge: Zener Card - squareMicrobadge: Zener Card - starMicrobadge: Zener Card - waves
Just to join the debate...

nestorgames wrote:
As a side note, Pentalath (Ndengrod) is an 'accidental' reinvention of Andantino but adding a -trapezoidal- board.
Not quite. Andantino involves making loops (which can contain empty cells) while Pentalath involves surround capture of full regions.

nestorgames wrote:
So, to sum it all up, maybe Cameron should have left Ndengrod untouched (and he agrees)
Certainly the board... not so much the name
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Rodriguez
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
nestorgames wrote:

As a side note, Pentalath (Ndengrod) is an 'accidental' reinvention of Andantino but adding a -trapezoidal- board. Also the board was changed to the Yavalath's one by Cameron himself. We realized later on that the original trapezoidal board -by LUDI- is much better.
Having played Pentalath in both boards quite a bit, I most certainly agree!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Browne
Netherlands
Maastricht
Limburg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Zener Card - circleMicrobadge: Zener Card - crossMicrobadge: Zener Card - squareMicrobadge: Zener Card - starMicrobadge: Zener Card - waves
motoyugota wrote:
He doesn't have an exclusive right to make up random names.
Oh, really? I point you to Australian Patent No. AU-2001100012-A4 "Method and Apparatus for Novel Label Generation Based on Stochastic Manipulation of Linguistic Subpacket Hyperplexes (with Applications)".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Néstor Romeral Andrés
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
camb wrote:
Just to join the debate...

nestorgames wrote:
As a side note, Pentalath (Ndengrod) is an 'accidental' reinvention of Andantino but adding a -trapezoidal- board.
Not quite. Andantino involves making loops (which can contain empty cells) while Pentalath involves surround capture of full regions.

nestorgames wrote:
Certainly the board... not so much the name
Thanks for the clarification!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Néstor Romeral Andrés
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Re: NESTORGAMES newsletter - 2019's best sellers
And the best sellers for 2019 are...

Board Game: Yavalath

Board Game: Shibumi

Board Game: Pent-Up

Board Game: Go with the Floe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Browne
Netherlands
Maastricht
Limburg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
nestorgames wrote:
And the best sellers for 2019 are...
Yay! That's great to see.
Keep up the good work Nestor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Néstor Romeral Andrés
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Shipping costs are now 14,95 EUR flat fee worldwide, except for the European continent, that are 7 EUR. Paypal doesn't handle this automatically, so if you're a european customer please email me before placing your order. Thank you!

Edit: Thank the spanish postal service and the taxman for this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Néstor Romeral Andrés
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
A nestorgames Discord server?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Néstor Romeral Andrés
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
On very rare occasions between advanced AKRON players, all the balls have been played (draw) and a few more have been needed to continue the game. You can now purchase 32 additional balls for the basic edition (16 per colour) for 10 Eur. Email me for this.

https://nestorgames.com/akron_detail.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Néstor Romeral Andrés
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
What is your favourite nestorabstract of 2019? I'm planning a badge for it. Thanks!

Poll
What is your favourite nestorabstract of 2019?
Uptown
Taigo
SQU
Satan's Checkers
Mammalath
Jaleo
Fuse
      6 answers
Poll created by nestorgames
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Néstor Romeral Andrés
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Re: NESTORGAMES newsletter - Blinq
Blinq published

https://nestorgames.com/blinq_detail.html

A connection game for 2 players by yours truly.

Blinq ( Binary + link) is a connection game that uses dual coloured square blocks composed of two rectangles and shared by both players. Players alternate turns placing those blocks according to some simple stacking rules, each trying to connect the two sides of the board of their colour. Notice that on their turn, players play both colours at once, as the blocks are indivisible. The blocks are 3D printed.

- Basic edition: 30 dual-coloured blocks and a 4x4 board printed in a carrying bag.
- Advanced Edition: 54 dual-coloured blocks, a special ‘neutral' block and a carrying bag with a 4x4 board printed on one side and a 5x5 board on the other.
- Upgrade from Basic to Advanced: 24 dual-coloured blocks, a special ‘neutral' block and a carrying bag with a 4x4 board printed on one side and a 5x5 board on the other.

Board Game: Blinq

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Néstor Romeral Andrés
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
You might already know, but Martijn Althuizen has passed away. Shit. He was a great guy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: I speak EsperantoMicrobadge: Abstract fanMicrobadge: Plays Games with SpouseMicrobadge: Modern abstract games fanMicrobadge: Vegan
I had not heard. That is sad and unexpected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TPoG
Denmark
flag msg tools
ISBN: 1-85723-146-5
badge
Hmm...
Microbadge: Go playerMicrobadge: Abstract fanMicrobadge: Important announcement about BGG communication!Microbadge: The Sandman fanMicrobadge: Dreamblade fan
nestorgames wrote:
You might already know, but Martijn Althuizen has passed away. Shit. He was a great guy.
Very sad indeed.
I noticed that he did not show much activity lately here at BGG. Hoped he was just busy in real life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  118 , 119 , 120 , 121 , 122  Next »  [122] |