Canada
Crysler
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Attention Ottawa Games Group!!!

goo
-----------------------------------------------------------

Please thumb up thumbsupthis post to attract more gamers to our sessions.

This Week’s Session is on Wednesday January 27th.
We start around 6:30.
We usually go until 9:30 or 10:00pm.

The address is:
Canadian Legion Branch 480 - Westboro, 389 Richmond Road, upstairs
There is usually a dinner deal downstairs.
Please bring $2.00 for the Legion

MEMBERSHIP IS OPTIONAL

Membership provides discounts at local retailers through a membership card system.

There are two options:
1. $5.00 to Steve Larkin in Kanata. This entitles you to the cards
2. Prepay 3 weeks for the Legion (3 X $2.00 = $6.00). This entitles you to the cards and provides three weeks of dues.

Recommendations are as follows:
If you are going to play at the Legion at least once, I would do the prepay.
However, if you are in the west end and do not plan to go to the Legion, I would just pay the $5.00 to Steve at the Glen.
Steve goes by srlarkin on BGG.

Just geekmail or ask at a session if you are interested in the membership discount cards.

UPCOMING EVENTS

1. Cangames Approaches!!
Be ready and catch up on your sleep for you will get none at the curling rink, er, I mean converted amphitheater of gaming!!

2. Toys on Fire (One of our sponsors) will be having a gaming session in Barrhaven.
Keep your eyes on the geek for updates.

>>>>>> A LITTLE BIT OF BACKGROUND ON OUR GROUP

The Ottawa Games Group was founded more than ten years ago as a way for Axis and Allies players to play (and for those of us who did not know how to play at the time it was a opportunity to finally learn how to play it).

The original meeting place was at the Montana’s on Hunt Club and Bank.
However, in a twist of fate the initial turnout was so high that I ended up hosting Risk and Risk 2210 sessions alongside the Axis and Allies board. Eventually games like History of the World, Naval War, Lord of the Rings, and Settlers of Catan were brought out.

One of the notable regulars was TheRatKing (not real name, really) and his wife. They would drive about an hour all the way out to South Ottawa for two to three hours of gaming. The other notable regular was William Chappell, Owner of the now Hobby Centre on Roydon. Bill has over the years provided the group with Games like Queens Gambit and History of the World and Tannhauser.

Eventually the group became a victim of Montana’s success, so we looked for a second home and found it at Ralph’s near Heron Rd. Although great food, the location was dark and very inconvenient for many, we made a third move to Montana’s after two years and one of the worst experience-of-a-concert-while-playing-AttacK! ever.

Our third home was Broadways on Prince of Wales. This proved to be a good spot for a couple reasons; a separate section and a separate waitress. During this time we met notable local game designer / all around nice guy / bit of a nut – Martin. Martin custom designed a PitchCar race track from scratch with loop-dee-doos, split lanes, concrete barriers and criss-crosses that was about 25-30 feet long. The promise of this game was enough to bring out twenty-six people for a games night session. This is a record that still stands today. He also designed a Ticket to Ride WORLD board that was played at the CanGames con to good reviews. We also picked up Mark M. (one of something like 12 Marks who currently abound). Mark M. currently runs a guild for us Ottawa Gamers right here on BGG. You can follow his game summaries here...
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/guild/199

Also at this time TheRatKing started a group out Kanata way (Kravings). We coordinated the efforts to make sure there was a game night each week. We also used communiqués to try and cross promote the groups. This Kanata group would also hold a booth at CanGames. They also started a membership and annual tournament to raise money for a children’s gaming charity.

Eventually we had to make a move due to clashes. No details here, but there were problems on both sides.

This time things got tricky. We wanted to find a place where we could go that would not eventually drive us out if the location became a successful restaurant/bar. It took some brainstorming but eventually the General came forth with an idea to use a Legion. The original idea was to use the one at Walkley. One small problem, it had folded. So eventually we narrowed it down to the ones on Kent and the one at Westboro. Parking and driving concerns combined with the personability of the staff and the ability of us to be able to have a separate section brought us to the Legion on Westboro. But, there was still one more challenge. At the time the rule was that in order to become a member you had to have a direct relative who served. I didn’t have the background. So, after the National Department of Archives, some help from a client (thank you – you know who), and a month of waiting the General had us as guests at the Legion on Westboro.

With this location we added the membership cards and discounts from our supporters The Comic Book Shoppe, Fandom II, and Toys on Fire. The membership option still stands to this day.

At this time we picked up Dean. Another dedicated gamer who has helped with coordinating the bi-weekly event and teaching games to others. Also in that time we have had a shift in the Kanata group. The Kanata group now meets bi-weekly at the Glen and the hosting duties have been take over by Steve.

Here is a short (ahem) list of the games that have been played over the past years.
It goes like this: Axis and Allies, Risk, Risk-LOTR, Risk 2210, A&A D-Day, Lord of the Rings, Settlers of Catan, SoC-Rome, SoC-Germany, SoC-Cardgame, Starfarers of Catan, Puerto Rico, TTR, TTR-E, TTR-M, TTR-N, TTR-S, Acquire, Lord of the Rings Confrontation, Chess, Naval War, Attack!, Carassonne (and every bleepin’ expansion), City of Carcassonne, Castle Carcassonne, Carcassonne-H&G, Carcassonne Age of Discovery, Gulo Gulo, Beausack, Lunch Money, Beer Money, Family Business, Guillotine, Snowball Fight, Formula De, BattleCry, Memoir 44, BattleLore, Tide of Iron, Tannhauser, Vikings, Fire and Ice, Blood Bowl, Call of Cthulu, Arkham Horror, Betrayal at the house on the Hill, Saboteur, Risk-Queens Gambit, Chess, Checkers, Cribbage, Backgammon, Tichu, Tichu, Tichu, Tichu, Tichu, Rook, StoneAge, Keythedral, Race For the Galaxy, History of the World, Spank the Beaver, PitchCar, Shadows Over Camelot, New England, Goa, Princes of Florence, Twilight Imperium, Meuterer, Agricola, Le Havre, Railroad Tycoon, 1853, 18…a few others, Chicago Express, Rails of Europe, Entdecker, Metro, Tsuro, GIPF, Power Grid, Illuminati, Magic, On the Edge, Twilight Struggle, Dominion, Caylus, Tigris and Euphrates, Full House (custom), Brass, Princes of Florence, Battlestar Galactica, Shogun, Die Macher, UBI, RA, Imperial, Age of Empires III, Small World, Conflict of Heroes, Endeavour, Go, Pente, Wallenstein, Crokinole, Galaxy Trucker, Hammer of the Scots, Samurai, Taj Mahal, Space Alert, BattleLine, Modern Art, San Juan, Notre Dame, Age of Mythology, Ingenious, Cosmic Encounter, Blokus, Quelf, Quiddler, Mexica, Tikal, Java, Hive, Pillars of the Earth, TZARR, Citadels, Starcraft, Mr. Jack, Roborally, Reef Encounter, Cuba, ZERTZ, Through the Desert, Torres, Fury of Dracula, Werewolf, Fearsome Floors, Thurn and Taxis, Last Night on Earth, Vegas Showdown, For Sale, Modern Art, Glory to Rome, Lost Cities, Blue Moon Cities, Bang!, Louis the XIV, Bohnanza, Santiago, Medici, Tribune, Antike, Nexus Ops, Doom, Hare and Tortoise, Elfenland, Alahambra, Gardens of Alahambra, Roll through the Ages, China, Hacienda, Middle Earth Quest, MahJongg, Titan, Hey That’s My Fish, Dungeon Twister, Merchant of Amsterdam, Monopoly Deal, El Grande, King of the Elves, Sunken City, Munchkin (and other Munchkin add ons), Killer Bunnies, Cosmic Encounter, Samurai Swords, Doom, Wings of War, Stratego, Cribbage, Traders of Carthage ...

If you played a game that I did not put in this list, let me know.
I will update for next post.

-------------------------------------

If you have any questions please geekmail me or post 'em here.

Hope to see you at the next session.
goo
MrZoz
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Jones
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I would love to come check the group out, but Wednesdays are out for me as I'm a Cub Scout leader that night - oh well something for me to look forward to this summer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darn. I fly in tomorrow afternoon and leave Wednesday at 4:00 pm. Too bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Ruhland
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I won't be there this week unfortunately. My wife's birthday you see and she figures I should spend some time with her. I offered to bring her along to the legion but that just didn't fly. Have a great evening and I'll see you in February.
What's the deal with CanGames. That's gotta be the worst website I've ever tried to navigate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Vanden Heuvel
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Gaamessz... need more Gaammesz...
mbmbmbmbmb
how can she be so selfish?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Ruhland
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
She doesn't even like shellfish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Chalupka
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm planning on coming tonight - I've been meaning to show up for a while, but I always seem to have a conflict on Wed nights.

Are noobs allowed to request games? If so, I'd love to try Pandemic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I will be there (a rare consecutive-sessions appearance by me!). While I can't guarantee it hits the table, I happen to have Pandemic (expanded with On The Brink) already in my car.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.