Recommend
6 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Small World» Forums » Rules

Subject: A list of suggested changes to the Player Summary sheet rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryan Stout
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In another thread I pointed out changes that have been made to the Small World rules booklet -- certain places in the first printing were reworded to correct misunderstandings.

In that same spirit, I wish that the Player Summary sheets were also available for download at the Days of Wonder site, so we could print out copies that correct misunderstandings in the summary.

If they were to make it available, here is a list of suggested changes I have, with deletions and additions to the original, and some explanatory comments.

p. 1 wrote:
First player is the one whose ears are most pointed. Players take turns in succession, clockwise. Final turns occurs when after Game Turn marker reaches last position on the Game Turn track. Player with the most Victory coins then (or most Race tokens, if tied) wins.
As written, people might interpret it to mean the game ends once you move the marker to the last position.

p. 1 wrote:
First Conquest: Unless you are playing have Halflings or Flying, the 1st Region you conquer must be on adjacent to the edge of the map or to one of its 2 Seas.
The original wording may be read to say you can conquer one of the Seas in your 1st conquest.

p. 1 wrote:
Go into decline (p. 6)
- Flip your Race banner so that its in decline side becomes visible; and discard your Special Power badge unless it dictates otherwise
- Flip 1 Race token in each region onto its in decline side, and discard all the others
- If you already have an in decline Race on the board, discard its tokens, and place its Race banner back at the bottom of the Race banners stack
- Score Victory Coins from the left-over tokens of your in decline Race.
- Next turn play as if it was your first turn (I.1)
The scoring part of the going-into-decline really should be mentioned -- beginners could easily assume you cannot do it if it's not mentioned here.

p. 2 wrote:
GHOULS: Your Ghouls all stay on the map, when going into decline. Also, in the following turns they can continue to conquer Regions as if still active, at the start of your turn.
This is a very important part of the Ghouls' power, and deserves to be in the summary.

p. 2 wrote:
ORCS: Collect 1 bonus coin for each non-empty occupied Region you conquered this turn.
I know they clarify "non-empty" in the rules to not include Mountain tokens, but I think "occupied" avoids that confusion. (Pillaging would have the same wording.)

p. 2 wrote:
SORCERERS: Once per turn and per opponent, substitute a single opponent Active token with a new Sorcerer token from the tray, to conquer an adjacent Region.
It's important to say it only works on Active Races -- the word "Active" is emphasized in the Rules booklet.

p. 2 wrote:
ALCHEMIST: Collect 2 bonus coins every turn your tokens are on the map at the end of each turn your race hasn't yet gone into Decline.
The two ideas are not equivalent -- you can still be active without tokens on the board -- so I quoted the wording in the full Rules Booklet.

p. 2 wrote:
COMMANDO: Conquer any adjacent Region using 1 less Race token than usual. A minimum of 1 token is still required.
Adjacency isn't required - the word was omitted from the Rules booklet as well.

p. 2 wrote:
DRAGON MASTER: Once per turn, [ u ]se the Dragon to conquer a Region using a single token. The Region with the Dragon is immune to opponents' conquests & racial & special powers.
The immunity deserves mention, as well as the ability to move the Dragon each turn.

p. 2 wrote:
FLYING: You may conquer any Region (except Seas and Lakes), not just an adjacent one.
A restriction mentioned in the Rules booklet.


[Edit: tweaked First Conquest, Ghouls; added Sorcerers]
[Edit2: added first paragraph]
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Rooks
Japan
Kobe
Hyogo
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
p. 2 wrote:
GHOULS: Your Ghouls all stay on the map, when going into decline. Also, once in decline they can continue to conquer Regions as if still active, at the start of your turn.This is a very important part of the Ghouls' power, and deserves to be in the summary.



Thanks for this list!

Woah, I didn't know Ghouls could attack the same turn they went into decline. We have been interpreting the rules in a way that they can start attacking again the next turn after they go into decline.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yiorgos Golfinopoulos
Greece
Patras
GREECE
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Barliman wrote:


p. 1 wrote:
First Conquest: Unless you are playing Halflings, the 1st Region you conquer must be on adjacent to the edge of the map or to one of its 2 Seas.
The original wording may be read to say you can conquer one of the Seas in your 1st conquest.



Flying races can also enter the map anywhere according to the FAQ (if you want to add that there to cover all cases).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yiorgos Golfinopoulos
Greece
Patras
GREECE
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jigmelingpa wrote:
p. 2 wrote:
GHOULS: Your Ghouls all stay on the map, when going into decline. Also, once in decline they can continue to conquer Regions as if still active, at the start of your turn.This is a very important part of the Ghouls' power, and deserves to be in the summary.



Thanks for this list!

Woah, I didn't know Ghouls could attack the same turn they went into decline. We have been interpreting the rules in a way that they can start attacking again the next turn after they go into decline.


Ghouls can't attack the same turn they go into decline. You can't go into decline and expand through new conquests in the same round. You do the one or the other, but not both.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Stout
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jigmelingpa wrote:
Woah, I didn't know Ghouls could attack the same turn they went into decline. We have been interpreting the rules in a way that they can start attacking again the next turn after they go into decline.

Yiorgos is right, and you were right in your original interpretation: Ghouls cannot conquer the same turn they go into decline.

The phrase "once in decline" is a quote from the full rules booklet, and means that after you have spent a turn going into decline, you can then attack in turns after that, now that the Ghouls are in decline. A turn is in one of two modes: active and able to attack, or going into decline.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Rooks
Japan
Kobe
Hyogo
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, glad to know we did have it straight after all.

If the ghouls were able to attack immediately after going into decline, they would be considerably stronger.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Allen
United States
Astatula
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be nice if the Sorceror summary mentioned that the special ability can only be used on ACTIVE races...

I've played 20 times now and I JUST discovered that rule (we were using the ability on opponents in-decline tokens as well). shake

That one extra word on the summary probably would have helped.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Stout
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
KlydeFrog wrote:
It would be nice if the Sorceror summary mentioned that the special ability can only be used on ACTIVE races...

I've played 20 times now and I JUST discovered that rule (we were using the ability on opponents in-decline tokens as well). shake

That one extra word on the summary probably would have helped.

A great suggestion! I have added it to the list.

I've also included the other suggestions as well.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
KlydeFrog wrote:
It would be nice if the Sorceror summary mentioned that the special ability can only be used on ACTIVE races...

I've played 20 times now and I JUST discovered that rule (we were using the ability on opponents in-decline tokens as well). shake

That one extra word on the summary probably would have helped.


This is why a summary should never be used as a substitute for reading the actual rules. The rules specifically say "Once per turn per opponent, your Sorcerers can conquer a Region by substituting one of your opponent's Active tokens with one of your own taken from the storage tray." The bold is in the original.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Allen
United States
Astatula
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Golux13 wrote:
KlydeFrog wrote:
It would be nice if the Sorceror summary mentioned that the special ability can only be used on ACTIVE races...

I've played 20 times now and I JUST discovered that rule (we were using the ability on opponents in-decline tokens as well). shake

That one extra word on the summary probably would have helped.


This is why a summary should never be used as a substitute for reading the actual rules. The rules specifically say "Once per turn per opponent, your Sorcerers can conquer a Region by substituting one of your opponent's Active tokens with one of your own taken from the storage tray." The bold is in the original.


True I guess ... though I've never known anyone to try and learn the game from just reading summaries.

I was thinknig this is why a good reference/summary includes little exceptions, restrictions, special cases, and important details. These things are easy to forget if you haven't played in a while or haven't played at all but have only read the rules. The whole purpose of the summary is to help you remember ... which is why anything worth putting in bold in the rules is probably worth including in the summary.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
Lebanon
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Penny Press Kickstarter: 1,284 backers - $60,376! Amazing! Thank you!!!
badge
Play Penny Press!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There sure is a need for a new palyer aid, but I find many of the changes pointed out by the OP trivial (some, like "active" on sorcerors, are very much needed, though). The changes I would like to see are:
1. on powers where it matters, (how) can the power be used when coming onto the board? This seems to be the single biggest source of confusion.
2. Removal of "adjacent", addition of "active" and a number of other issues remarked upon in the FAQs.
3. Addition of new races and powers, and Leaders.

I have actually been looking for something like this on BGG for a while now (hint, hint)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Stout
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
RobertDD wrote:
There sure is a need for a new palyer aid, but I find many of the changes pointed out by the OP trivial (some, like "active" on sorcerors, are very much needed, though). The changes I would like to see are:
1. on powers where it matters, (how) can the power be used when coming onto the board? This seems to be the single biggest source of confusion.
2. Removal of "adjacent", addition of "active" and a number of other issues remarked upon in the FAQs.
3. Addition of new races and powers, and Leaders.

I have actually been looking for something like this on BGG for a while now (hint, hint)

My list of suggestions is rather modest in scope: it was to update the current Player Summary sheet by:
- inserting important omissions
- resolving contradictions
- clarifying possible ambiguities

I'm not trying to suggest new rulings on rule controversies, or add material from the expansions. I do think a consolodated summary with the expansions would be great, though.

I agree that several of the ambiguities will be obvious to many, but there are always some people that might misinterpret something.

If you have any specific suggestions, feel free to make them!

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
Lebanon
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Penny Press Kickstarter: 1,284 backers - $60,376! Amazing! Thank you!!!
badge
Play Penny Press!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Barliman wrote:
RobertDD wrote:
There sure is a need for a new palyer aid, but I find many of the changes pointed out by the OP trivial (some, like "active" on sorcerors, are very much needed, though). The changes I would like to see are:
1. on powers where it matters, (how) can the power be used when coming onto the board? This seems to be the single biggest source of confusion.
2. Removal of "adjacent", addition of "active" and a number of other issues remarked upon in the FAQs.
3. Addition of new races and powers, and Leaders.

I have actually been looking for something like this on BGG for a while now (hint, hint)

My list of suggestions is rather modest in scope: it was to update the current Player Summary sheet by:
- inserting important omissions
- resolving contradictions
- clarifying possible ambiguities

I'm not trying to suggest new rulings on rule controversies, or add material from the expansions. I do think a consolodated summary with the expansions would be great, though.

I agree that several of the ambiguities will be obvious to many, but there are always some people that might misinterpret something.

If you have any specific suggestions, feel free to make them!


I just re-read your list and I guess it's less trivial then I thought when I first read it. An updated DOW sheet would be great!

BTW, I would also like a folding design. The sheets take up too much real estate as they are now. They are very, very well designed though, apart from a few textual inconsistancies. I wish Starcraft (and many other games) came with sheets like that.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.