Mike Kozlowski
United States
Unspecified
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
I, uh, guess I had a lot of geekgold?
mbmbmbmbmb
So I've been able to find enough information to understand how the modules traditionally fit together, but it's clear that MMP's reprints are changing that, and I'm hoping someone can explain to me how the system fits together. As I understand it, the "classic" modules' status is:

1. Beyond Valor. Still required, the base game that everything uses.

2. Paratroopers. Obsolete. Any module that needs its maps or other components will have them included, and the scenarios will be included in a hypothetical new edition of Yanks.

3. Yanks. Still relevant. A bunch of modules require Yanks, and even though it's apparently never been reprinted by MMP, it looks like it will be (eventually!) with extra scenarios, and remains a core component of the game.

4. Partisan. Obsolete. Its components are now included in Armies of Oblivion.

5. West of Alamein. Obsolete. Its British components are now in For King and Country, and its desert components will be in the eventual reprint of Hollow Legions.

6. The Last Hurrah. Obsolete. It's now included in the third edition of Doomed Battalions.

7. Hollow Legions. Still relevant. It will also include the desert stuff from West of Alamein.

8. Code of Bushido. Obsolete. It will be replaced by a new, integrated PTO module.

9. Gung Ho. Obsolete. It will be replaced by a new, integrated PTO module.

10. Croix de Guerre. Still relevant. Unchanged from earlier editions, apparently.

11. Doomed Battalions. Still relevant. Now includes Last Hurrah content.

12. For King and Country. Still (newly) relevant.

13. Armies of Oblivion. Still relevant.

14. Hakkaa Päälle. Will become relevant.

So, if I'm understanding all that right (and I could be completely wrong here; I'm trying to synthesize information I've read in a bunch of different places), then the core modules once MMP gets everything all done and reprinted would be:

1. Beyond Valor
2. Yanks
3. Hollow Legions
4. For King and Country
5. New PTO module
6. Doomed Battalions
7. Armies of Oblivion
8. Hakkaa Päälle

Yeah?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
Doomed Battalions didn't make your final list there. It includes The Last Hurrah now, not Hollow Legions. Otherwise, it looks right to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kozlowski
United States
Unspecified
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Edited, thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mkozlows wrote:
11. Doomed Battalions. Still relevant. Now includes Hollow Legions content.

You missed the edit here. Last Hurrah, not Hollow Legions.

Quote:
10. Croix de Guerre. Still relevant. Unchanged from earlier editions, apparently.

There's only ever been a single edition of CdG. MMP is still selling stock from AH.

I don't believe there has been a definite statement that Para's scenarios would end up in a reprinted Yanks, but that's only because the Yanks reprint is still too far off for any definite plans at all. MMP has stated that including the Para scenarios is likely.

But substantially, that's all correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Reynolds
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Soooo Frustrating for me, since I have the originals, but others have different ones and now I have no guaranteed way to reference where what is and why.

Sad as it is, I am buying the new stuff too, even though it overlaps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kozlowski
United States
Unspecified
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tppytel wrote:

You missed the edit here. Last Hurrah, not Hollow Legions.

I somehow read over that twice. Got it now.

Quote:
Quote:

There's only ever been a single edition of CdG. MMP is still selling stock from AH.

With the mounted boards and all, eh? So I guess probably if/when it eventually gets reprinted, it'll probably see some changes, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
HeinzGuderian wrote:

Yanks was listed as required by most 1st Ed. material because it included Chapter E, miscellaneous rules. As most modules included at least one scenario with night fighting/snow/paradrops/whatever, most modules requited Yanks. Since MMP's second edition of the rules, Yanks is only required for those scenarios involving American counters and/or the boards therein.

Yanks is still, as far as I know, the only source of counters for the special rules - boats and parachutes and such. Unless they're in BV3, which I don't have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Olivieri
Italy
Negrar, Verona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For new player like me it's really fantastic have all the module reprinted in SK style. But i can undestand that old players could have some problem... Round down the number of module is also a great idea so it's easy to keep them in print. I hope that in a future not so far away, we could have the core module of ASL done ad only scenario pack and hasl module as future release.

But i also know that the deadline of MMP must be read 20**+dr so that's the probably deadline for the core module:
2010 - DB
2010 - FKaC
2011 - CoB2
2011/12 - Yanks2?
2012 - Hollow Legion2
2013 - HP
2014 - CdG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Florie
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Yanks is still, as far as I know, the only source of counters for the special rules - boats and parachutes and such. Unless they're in BV3, which I don't have.

These counters were indeed reprinted in BV3
Cheers,
Josh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kozlowski
United States
Unspecified
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
j23flo wrote:

So which modules don't require Yanks any more?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven richard
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The only thing I have a (minor) problem with here is listing modules as "Obsolete" or "Relevant". Assuming you have the proper prerequisites, just because something is being replaced by a newer edition/different module doesn't mean you can't play it and have a helluva good time.

Currently, I'm really enjoying Paratrooper, and I'm much looking forward to breaking into my still unpunched copies of Partisan & Croix de Guerre.

I realize, of course, that wasn't the point you were making...I just found "obsolete" to be a poor choice of words and perhaps misleading to a new/potential player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Kennedy
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One other minor note: even though Armies of Oblivion was printed in 2009 it is already out-of-print.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Florie
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mkozlows wrote:
j23flo wrote:

So which modules don't require Yanks any more?

I am not sure which modules no longer need Yanks as a prerequisite but any scneario that only needs Chapter E would be playable with BV3 and any scenario that needs American (not USMC) troops would still require Yanks. Hope this helps
Cheers,
Josh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Newton
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mkozlows wrote:
4. Partisan. Obsolete. Its components are now included in Armies of Oblivion.

Perhaps the counters are, but the maps and scenarios are not.

I also think "obsolete"/"relevant" aren't quite the right terms; the older stuff is all still perfectly playable, of course, and a lot of the newer stuff will be unavailable for who knows how long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kozlowski
United States
Unspecified
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I understand that you can still play all these modules. I'm looking at this from a perspective of, okay, so you want to buy all the "core modules" -- what does that entail, here in 2010?

If you don't want to haunt eBay, the answer is "wait for a reprint," but obviously these reprints are shuffling things around, such that the list of modules a newcomer is waiting for are going to inevitably be different than the ones listed today on most "core module" lists.

I'm also curious about dependencies, because of how quickly reprinted modules go out of print. Like, Doomed Battalions just got reprinted -- if I buy it today, can I actually use it, or do I have to wait some number of years until something else is reprinted? It seems silly to buy something I couldn't (even theoretically) play, but if it'll be out of print again by the time I could play it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Reed
United States
Clayton
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Taking the long-term perspective is exactly what I've done. I was driving myself crazy trying to keep up with all I should buy to make this or that work. I'm just now in SK, of which I have all 3, with the expansion on preorder.

But with the core stuff, I'll buy as it comes out and figure the dependencies will work themselves out as well as completeness. I'm like most ASLer, I want it all and when I want it. But it's a game and there are tons of scenarios to play in every module. I must be patient my son.
ninja

Wait, what just arrived today by mail, oh yeah, a copy of Yanks. I found a copy and got it for a relative good price cause I definitely want to play the US ocassionally and it could be a few years before it comes out. But other than a couple of maps I'll wait.

I promise.

After all that, thank you for that good list, it's good to see it all in one place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Reynolds
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ive decided to postpone my purchases of BV and DB (I still have FKaC on preorder but will likely cancel) or any other modules of which I already own until I can convince myself that its worth it to spend another $500 or more on a game I already own...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Olivieri
Italy
Negrar, Verona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Binko wrote:
If you are a new ASL player looking to build a collection over time you might want to only buy modules that have the SK style maps.

Yeah it's what i'm doing and i start play ASL 1 year ago. I play on vasl and i use my friend module that i don't hava waiting for reprints. I don't buy anything on ebay because i would get old module without SK style map... at the moment i've only SK map and new module.

BV3rd
AoO
AP3,4,5
Valor of the Guards
Pegasus Bridge

I play most of my game on vasl so it's not a problem don't have the counters and the maps of everything.

With DB3rd and the coming FKaC reprint i'm feel quite well, the only other "really" core module i miss is still yanks that i hope will come in 2011.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.