Popular Tags: [View All]
Penny
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This will be short, and here is why.
We have been on a losing streak and I was determined to win at least once this week. Well, luck was not on our side. The initial card draws were almost all the cities in Asia. As if that wasn't bad enough, one of the 2 cards I drew ( at the end of my turn after I went first), was an epidemic! Of course you guessed it, it was one of the cities in Asia, I think Shanghai, and that created 8 outbreaks with its surrounding cities and the game was over like that. My husband didn't even take his turn at all the whole game. We couldn't believe it was over so fast. That would have to be the record for the fastest game of Pandemic ever considering the entire game took 1 turn to finish and be killed. Has this ever happened to anyone before?

We are still working on your skills to beat the game at a reasonable win rate for the beginner's level. I think we kind of suck at the game and needs more plays, but it's very addicting, so we will be keep playing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Sobotta
United States
Thief River Falls
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You need to work on your shuffling skills
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to be sure: Epidemic cities are drawn from the bottom of the infection card pile, so it alone shouldn't've caused any outbreaks in the first round. Of course, that epidemic'd city is then reshuffled back on top of the infection deck, so it's possible you selected it again as one of your two infection cards at the end of your turn, causing the outbreaks. But I want to be sure you're not making it too hard on yourselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think she played right, David. When you have an epidemic on turn 1, four cards with three cubes each will be near the top of the deck during the infect phase: the three starting 3-cube cities, plus the new epidemic city. Drawing any of the four will lead to an outbreak. If this happens, and all your cities that start infected were close together, then I can see how you could get a massive chain reaction and lose right off the bat. Ugly. zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penny
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh I am sure it was right and I can't even blame on the shuffle. It was actually a BSW game. So ya, everything was automated. =p
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is why my standard procedure is to assume that the first set of cards will have an epidemic in them. It's really not rare at all, given the setup of the deck.

Whenever I get a nasty setup, the first turn is always spent getting to the danger area *immediately* and curing some, even if it takes using a special card, forgoing card exchanges, using a card to travel even though I have most of a cure already, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Leacock
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
designer
mb
My condolences!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.