Ryan Dalton
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First off, I just want to say that I looked over the FAQ and skimmed through the rules section of the forums... so, please don't flame me if I'm asking something that's already been answered half a dozen times because I didn't see it! shake

Played our first game last night (3 players), all of us being new players with me teaching the game. I've read the rules 3 times, and also printed off a couple of helpful player aids from the files section. We had a good time even though we were playing as all new players, and agreed that the game experience was positive overall and that we want to play again, soon actually.

Two situations stood out that we had rules questions about afterward...

1. During the first turn auction phase, the 1st player was outbid and passed. The second player had already bought the plant that the first player picked so we skipped her chance to auction (since she already had a power plant). Then, I being the third player picked a plant, and ended up outbidding the 1st player. The rules state that all players must buy a power plant during the first turn... Should the first player be able to THEN purchase a plant for its base cost or would they just lose their opportunity to buy a plant (in later rounds at least)? We were confused about this.

2. The FAQ says that the areas do not belong to any player and we understood that much. However, when players play their first buildings, are they required to build them in different areas? We all decided to start in a city in the area that matched our house colors, and then of course we could branch off into different areas while building. The problem with this is that it seems that (we were playing on the Germany side of the board) the red area has a lot of cities clumped together with low connection costs, while the purple area in the southern part of the board has a lot of high costing connections... does it all balance out during steps 2 and 3? By building our first city in different areas, were we playing the rules wrong?

Thanks in advance for any help, it is much appreciated
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Re: First (Beginner) Game Played - A couple of newbie questions...
1) The first player continues to start a bid until he wins one. Then it goes to the next player in order that hasn't won an auction yet to start the bid. So in your game, Player one selects and is outbid by player 2. Player 1 should then select and start bids again. If he wins this one, then it would go with player 3 to start the 3rd auction.

2) You can build anywhere with your first city, even if someone else is in that region. But if you are too close to someone else, you are going to possibly have to pay more connection fees as you bypass there city and go to the next one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Because the plant the first player put up for auction was bought by another player, the first player gets to put up another plant for auction. As everyone has to buy a plant in the first round, passing (meaning: not putting another plant up for auction) is not an option in that round. In later rounds, if you pass on putting up a plant for auction, you don't get a plant (you don't bid on the plants the other players put up for auction).

2.You can play anywhere in the three areas you picked at the start of the game as the areas you were going to play in (limited to 1 building per city in the first phase of the game). You do not have to build in a different colored area than the other players, nor do you have to play in/with the areas that correspond to your player colors. You are allowed to though, so you didn't break any rules by doing so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Dalton
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much, this clears everything up for me. Of all the games I've played, I feel like Power Grid's rulebook has definitely been the most ambiguous so far. goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph DiMuro
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Let me see if I understand correctly. The first player put a plant up for auction. The second player won that particular auction. Then you had the third player put up the next plant for auction? That's not right. The first player should have put up the next plant for auction.

Whoever is the highest in the turn order (among those still in the auction phase) always puts up the next plant for auction. (Or they can just drop out of the auction phase altogether, if they choose.) So one person can end up starting multiple auctions in a single round.

2. Build wherever you want.

Glad you noticed the different connection costs in the different areas of the board. Here's a nice trick you can try: if you are playing (say) a 5 player game, and there's one newbish player in the game, convince the newb that the southern area is the best place to play in. Then the rest of you can cram into the cheap regions elsewhere, while you all laugh at the poor sap all alone in the expensive region.

whistle

Edit: you guys type too fast. All of those replies above mine appeared while I was still typing mine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Daltonovich wrote:
Thank you very much, this clears everything up for me. Of all the games I've played, I feel like Power Grid's rulebook has definitely been the most ambiguous so far. goo

Yes, it is more simple than the translated rules would lead you to believe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Dalton
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TrojH wrote:

Edit: you guys type too fast. All of those replies above mine appeared while I was still typing mine.

Haha, I know, I was typing up a thank you note, and when I posted it, 2 more answers had popped up Great to know that theoretically your game wouldn't be slowed down if you needed to resolve a couple of disputes during the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Daltonovich wrote:
1. During the first turn auction phase, the 1st player was outbid and passed. The second player had already bought the plant that the first player picked so we skipped her chance to auction (since she already had a power plant). Then, I being the third player picked a plant, and ended up outbidding the 1st player. The rules state that all players must buy a power plant during the first turn... Should the first player be able to THEN purchase a plant for its base cost or would they just lose their opportunity to buy a plant (in later rounds at least)? We were confused about this.

From the Power Grid FAQ:
"After each auction is resolved, the next auction is started by the lowest numbered player who has not yet bought a plant or chosen not to start an auction."

Quote:
2. The FAQ says that the areas do not belong to any player and we understood that much. However, when players play their first buildings, are they required to build them in different areas? We all decided to start in a city in the area that matched our house colors, and then of course we could branch off into different areas while building.

I can't imagine what would make someone think your starting area must match your house color... From the FAQ: "there are no restrictions about players building in separate or the same areas."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Engine
China
Changzhou
Jiangsu
flag msg tools
Good...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Dalton
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
I can't imagine what would make someone think your starting area must match your house color... From the FAQ: "there are no restrictions about players building in separate or the same areas."

Well, we didn't read the FAQ before the first play... and something about the somewhat awkwardly-translated rules stating 1 player per area made it a bit confusing. Glad that it's all cleared up though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.