3 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Methods of card combat resolution rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Marschner
msg tools

Hey there,

I'd love to hear about great card combat mechanics in other games from you (with a short description please). I'm especially curious about creature combat via a card battle system, but don't just limit your suggestions to that. The more complicated the rules, the better.

And no thanks, I know about Magic the Gathering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Eveninger
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
I'm trying to develop system for my "Titans..." of battledeck. It's an adventure game which started from wow-tbg but evolve in other direction.

Battledeck is use by player to fight other players (pvp) or monsters, it include 12 cards, base card are simple and only refers to d12 roll combined with hit/miss table (those two combined on cards) with additionally of level differences (low level player has less chances to hit high level enemy).
Basic battlecards are replaced during the game by new cards from magical_weapons/spells/abilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sunday silence
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
I have thought about this issue, maybe not as long as some and maybe not as deep as others but anyhow I decided to characterize those systems that I know, give some general comments and what chances I think these systems have for being the "Card Combat of the Future"...

1. Non transitive systems (known to lay people as RockScissorsPaper). Best examples I know are Battlefields of Olympus and War for Edoah (note the game has an antiquted spelling of this, if you try to do a search). The Edoah system has more of an overarching card play that relates the R/S/Paper mechanic to the overall battle, individual units then interact to produce casualties, morale, whatever. The system is kind of convoluted there apparently three different ways to suffer a morale collapse but this is promising for the future. GRADE a solid B for its chances for the future.

2. Battleline, Schotten-Totten. Game is well described elsewhere. It is a little bit too abstract for me in terms of a battle. I think to make it more realistic there has to be a chance to compare these different hands early on as if there's an all out assault. And each banner or whatever would have more relationship to an army, e.g. the center should be an infantry battle.. Still the system works well GRADE C+ for its chances..

3. Hannibal Rome v Carthage/Durak. The battle cards here are really a take off on the Russian national card game of Durak which is pretty basic and uses "trump" cards simlar to the Reserve units in HRvC as way of making a match. Try as I might I cant seem to make this system any more realistic, although it does provide a fairly quick and quite exciting combat resolution as implemented in HRvC. We've tried playing more than one card at a time, assigning various abilities to counter attack, etc. to little avail. GRADE: I guess a D for chances.

4. Condottierre/Iliad. (not sure about the name of the latter it's some gamme with the name Iliad in it). Basicaly this is something like a poker showdown but certain cards get to bash other cards or change the conditions. PLUS some units e.g Surrender card are able to bring to battle the entire hand, sort of a Meta type of card if you will. GRADE: I really like this system A-.

5. Magic the Gathering/Blue Moon. This appears to be very similar, but more complex than Condottierre from what I read, there is a similar sort of interaction between fast attacks/counter attacking and defensive oriented decks. Magic has more: you have to play manna, you tap cards, etc. GRADE: I guess a B+ only because Condottierre seems more streamlined and basic.

6. Blue v Grey. This is the game by QED games, which also sort of has a meta type of resolution;. I call it the "inside out CRT" as you dont know what sort of battle you will get until the end. The game itself calls for face up hands, so you actually know what the other guy has! This is quite idiotic to me (in terms of simulating battle; although the game creator's concept here is administrative so I guess it works for that). This game finally gives you a reason to use McClellan, that's probably its best claim to fame. If this game does rovide a system for future card battles it will look vastly different when implemented. GRADE Despite my criticism, there are a lot of promising ideas here, B-.

7. Poker. there are probably some other wargames that use this cant recall at the moment. Taj Mahal maybe similar only you are betting with cards, not money. GRADE: This system probably has a lot of potential for a more strategic type of game, not really tactical in nature. Give it a C+.

8. Game of Thrones. You compare stacks then you add cards; maybe you can consider Lord of the Rings The confrontation similar with a stratego like base system and you add cards. I am not that big on the future of this system although I like the LotR version alot. GRADE: C I guess, not enuf unit interaction for me.

9. Lord of the Rings the Duel. This is more like a one on one battle of individuals but has very interesting mechanics where the last card you play then has to defend, with a different set of characteristics the next attack. This is a very promising system for a very tactical type of game. The game Sumo has some relationship although doesnt have the next attack thing. GRADE: B; only because the non trans systems described above may subsume a lot of this.

10 Others. MIddle Earth Quest by the same guy who brought you Game of Thrones (Peterson) This system is maybe most similar to War for Edaoh, as there is a sort of overall disorder and/or energy count that is being tracked for the battle and I like that idea a lot. A similar system is implemented in that recent Pocket Battles game; increasing disorder decreasing the orders you can issue. Also category 1, above has similar count of overall disorder.. It is Probably better to dissect out the various systems at this pt. in the discussion rather than try to label via game titles. Starcraft is another game by PEterson with more ideas. These systems are very promising A-.

Other honorable mentions. these are based on my notes so I maybe wrong. Ivanhoe, Joan of Arc, Son of York, Warp Wars, Samurai/Katana. Most of these bear some similarity with those above. Warp wars uses a non transitive system and then deals damage based on a CRT that interacts with the speed of the rocketship.

thats about all I have, Im sure there are more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.