Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
20 Posts

Memoir '44» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rules question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pedro Farinha
Portugal
Santarém
flag msg tools
Hi,

1- When on a Hill and inside a bunker, do the rules accumulate? or we only use the Bunker rules?
2- When on a Bunker turned to the beach, if attacked from the behind do the rules still exist? Because theoretically you can only see what's in front of the bunker right?
3- When being attacked by two battalions, and on the first attack we're forced to retreat, is the second battalion allowed to attack (yes, still has line of sight)
4- When on Omaha Beach, image the second row of hexagons where the waves are falling over the sand, does that count as ocean (with only 1 hexagon allowed to move) or is it already sand?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Bulkley
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
telheiras wrote:
Hi,

1- When on a Hill and inside a bunker, do the rules accumulate? or we only use the Bunker rules?
2- When on a Bunker turned to the beach, if attacked from the behind do the rules still exist? Because theoretically you can only see what's in front of the bunker right?
3- When being attacked by two battalions, and on the first attack we're forced to retreat, is the second battalion allowed to attack (yes, still has line of sight)
4- When on Omaha Beach, image the second row of hexagons where the waves are falling over the sand, does that count as ocean (with only 1 hexagon allowed to move) or is it already sand?



If I remember correctly...

1. Protections are never cumulative. EDIT: To be more specific, protections of one type don't accumulate, but different types do. For example, a sandbag on a hill would give you attack protection from the hill and flag protection from the sandbag. However in your example you don't get attack protection from the hill and additional attack protection from the bunker.

2. It's a 360 degree bunker. Direction of attack/defense doesn't matter (unless the scenario says different).

3. Attacks are always resolved separately, so the second attack still needs to meet all the range and line of sight requirements. In other words, you don't check range and line of sight until right before you roll; you don't get to attack simply because the unit was within range when your turn started. This is an important consideration when deciding what order your units will attack.

4. I count these as ocean, but I've never been 100% sure. The rules make mention of retreating while in the ocean, so I assume that means there must be at least two rows of ocean.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stellmach
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bbulkley wrote:
4. I count these as ocean, but I've never been 100% sure.

Look at the example of ocean movement in the rulebook, on p.15. You will see that when the Shermans enter that row, they are indeed moving onto an ocean hex. Also, in the example below that, note that those hexes are impassible for retreats (true of ocean and not of beach).
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Rasmussen
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You could always check the Official FAQ to see if your questions are in there. whistle

http://www.daysofwonder.com/memoir44/en/content/faq/
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Farinha
Portugal
Santarém
flag msg tools
regarding the bunker on a hill..

if inside the bunker, do we consider the hill conditions as non-existant?
Or only the same type conditions (between hill and bunker) are ignored?

like:

hill: if you enter you have to stop
hill: if you attack you play -1 dice

bunker: if you attack you play -1 dice
bunker: once you get out you can move 2 hexagons in the same turn

solution: attack with -1 dice (you can't accumulate same type
solution: if you enter you have to stop
solution: once you get out you can move 2 hexagons in the same turn

is this it?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clexton27
United States
Forest
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dear Pedro,
I really would take Jesse's advice and do a good read of the FAQ. I believe the answers to all these questions are in there. If not, the answers already are part of the original rules.

Also, I think you are in error on the HILL/BUNKER terrain. At no point do regular hills or bunkers impede movement for infantry or cause them to have to STOP on entry. Each terrain is a bit different and you will eventually learn these as you continue your play. Make sure that above all else, you are having fun.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Farinha
Portugal
Santarém
flag msg tools
James i was just inventing the rules for bunker and hill because i don't know them by memory.

i'll have to read the rules then

if by any chance anyone knows the answer please do help because i dont want to read all those rules snore
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Rasmussen
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
telheiras wrote:
James i was just inventing the rules for bunker and hill because i don't know them by memory.

i'll have to read the rules then

if by any chance anyone knows the answer please do help because i dont want to read all those rules snore


As far as rules go, Memoir '44 does not have very many. I'm afraid you'll have to read them as some point, so it might as well be now! laugh

If you're really that against reading, you could just look at the section that talks about hills (since that's where you're confused). If you download the FAQ, you can also look at the hill section instead of reading the whole thing.

As a teacher though, I will not be helping you avoid reading the rules by answering more of your questions. I can't endorse someone not reading!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Farinha
Portugal
Santarém
flag msg tools
I have found the answer for my questions on the FAQ, but found two new ones so far

Let me add that reading the FAQ only made me less prone on buying expansions ... it's getting complex.

- If we have a card telling us to move x units on a flank, may we ignore the action? or once the card is played we've got to do it?

- On the hedgerow rule in the FAQ: Aren't we forced to stop once we exit the hedgerow? So how do you say "if a unit moves one hex out and makes a successful close assault" ?

thanks for the help.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Sieradzki
Poland
Opole
flag msg tools
badge
We don't stop playing when we get old, but we get old when we stop playing.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Playing a section card doesn't mean you have to move or fire. You may just play a card and do nothing. It's like discarding a card without using it (without issuing orders).
2. Your unit exiting hedgerow must stop and this is it. If you make a close assault from a hedgrow hex with a tank unit (the tanks were hidden waiting for an opportunity to assault...) the tanks stop, although they may make aanother succesful assault - and take ground. This way your tanks moved 2 hexes from a hedgerow.
Another example: if you start moving tanks form a hedgerow, you move just one enemy-free hex away. Then you make an assault and overrun. Then another assault and you take ground. This way you may move 3 hexes from a starting hedgerow hex.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Gibson
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to clarify question 4: "When on Omaha Beach, image the second row of hexagons where the waves are falling over the sand, does that count as ocean (with only 1 hexagon allowed to move) or is it already sand?"

You are referring to what is defined as a shore hex (ie. ocean, shore hex, sand). And, I believe that Jesse Rasmussen was referring you to the FAQ because it should cover this movement - which I believe to be 2 hexes.


http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/472776/oceanshore-hex-co...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Farinha
Portugal
Santarém
flag msg tools
just a quick question: on the beach (you're a tank) you move 2 hex. Can you still shoot?


I think i am starting to understand the game mechanism.

reading the faq helped. a little. whistle
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Sieradzki
Poland
Opole
flag msg tools
badge
We don't stop playing when we get old, but we get old when we stop playing.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course you can shoot. Only the movement is limited.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rasmussen81 wrote:
telheiras wrote:
James i was just inventing the rules for bunker and hill because i don't know them by memory.

i'll have to read the rules then

if by any chance anyone knows the answer please do help because i dont want to read all those rules snore


As far as rules go, Memoir '44 does not have very many. I'm afraid you'll have to read them as some point, so it might as well be now! laugh

If you're really that against reading, you could just look at the section that talks about hills (since that's where you're confused). If you download the FAQ, you can also look at the hill section instead of reading the whole thing.

As a teacher though, I will not be helping you avoid reading the rules by answering more of your questions. I can't endorse someone not reading!



Any chance you have an audio book or podcast of the rules? whistle
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clexton27
United States
Forest
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dear StevenE,
I would say that is an excellent question. However, the production of such an instrument would be beyond my technical know-how and time resources. But WOW yes what a great tool that would be!

The problem with an audio book is that the game is a visual experience. However the podcast or UTube of rules explanations and FAQ with audio and video would be excellent. Good luck!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Rasmussen
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
StevenE wrote:
Any chance you have an audio book or podcast of the rules? whistle


Interesting idea...cool I don't know how to make podcasts, but I don't think I'm too old to learn new tricks, yet.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Garcia
Venezuela
Caracas
Miranda
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Go to YouTube and do a search
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Farinha
Portugal
Santarém
flag msg tools
Quote:
Interesting idea...cool I don't know how to make podcasts, but I don't think I'm too old to learn new tricks, yet.



Jesse Rasmussen you should read the rules on making podcasting.

As i´m sure you understand we shouldn't be helping you on passing on the "reading".whistle
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Farinha
Portugal
Santarém
flag msg tools
Hi i have two questions regarding movement:

- a tank gets inside a city (so no more movement) but attacks. that oppositor has to retreat. Can you still overrun?

- a tank attacks and makes him retreat but doesnt overrun. but he is still available for close combat. Can the tank still attack without having overrun?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart de Groot
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
telheiras wrote:
- a tank gets inside a city (so no more movement) but attacks. that oppositor has to retreat. Can you still overrun?

Check terrain card 14, a "Unit moving in cannot battle." So this can't happen with a city. With other terrain that does allow battle, yes, you can overrun, it has nothing to do with how much you moved before.

Edit:
- Some terrains make a mention of armor overrun availability, like Beach (allowed) (terrain card 1).
- Some terrain has special limitations that also apply to overrun, like Hedgerows cannot be overrun into if the unit did not start its turn adjacent to it (see FAQ 1.1, p4).

telheiras wrote:
- a tank attacks and makes him retreat but doesnt overrun. but he is still available for close combat. Can the tank still attack without having overrun?

No, the order is overrun first, then attack again from the overrun. The extra attack is to simulate the extra edge armored vehicles gain from their increased mobility. If they don't move, they don't have an edge, so no extra attacking.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.