12 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: What to get next? Post TtR, C:H&G, Pandemic, Bohnanza rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Powers T
msg tools
mbmbmb
Started out with "heavy" games such as Marvel Heroes and LNOE which were very fun to play however they did not appeal to my family members so much 'cept for my lil bro, thus later i've tried blokus trigon which got the ball rolling with them non-gamers, the results was that blokus was played when there is nothing better to do,

Okay so easy light strategy gateway games seems to do the trick, so the next bulk came in the form of Ticket to Ride, Carcassone:Hunters & Gatherers, Pandemic and Bohnanza.

TtR as usual - an instant hit laugh much more fun that I thought it would be, everyone liked it.

Bohnanza within 2 days of purchase had about 8 sessions bean farming was great

Pandemic - well maybe not gateway (its for me actually laugh) not tried

Carcassone: H&G - i've had higher expectations for this but it came out erm.. a lil draggy-when-will-it-end kinda ambiance, maybe i've under estimate the brain burn apect being the same as TtR (or it could be that it was 11pm whistle)

So what do you think should be next or have all good intro games been taken
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
I might give Alhambra a try. There is a spatial element that is a little deeper than Carcassonne but nothing intimidating. It plays 2-6 (although 2 player not so great).

Puerto Rico is a good next step or even Agricola. Both of these games can give you many repeat plays as different strategies are learned. Agricola had the added advantage of an introductory game called the "family" version that plays pretty quick. Don't be intimidated by all the wood, it's really not that challenging to learn.

With most games I would recommend starting with the base game. Generally this allows you to explore the mechanics without adding any deeper theme (and frequently more time consuming as well) or mechanic tweaks. Certainly choosing a game that has expansions is generally a good bet as many before you have enjoyed and purchased.

Perhaps if I knew how many players you expect to play with I could make other suggestions.

cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Powers T
msg tools
mbmbmb
I have 5 people max,

Seeing as how they find Last Night on Earth boring/confusing, Car and do not seems to want to learn Pandemic, Agricola brain burning nature was out of my list long ago soblue. For worker management I'm considering Stone Age, but other than that any other suggestions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Parsons
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
Old enough to know what's right
badge
Young enough not to choose it
mbmbmbmbmb
Alhambra is a good suggestion.
Puerto Rico is a great game, but if your group found LNOE too heavy, then this will probably go the same way.

Ra or Priests of Ra may be a plan if you want an auction game, or perhaps something like Fist of Dragonstones.
Fearsome Floors is a lot of fun, as is Ave Caesar.
If Zombies were popular, but not in that game, try Zombie Fluxx.
An alternative train game to TTR is TransAmerica.
Other off-the-top-of-my-head suggestions include In the Year of the Dragon and Elfenland.

Have fun choosing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peti
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
badge
if liked Bohanza, you should try Catan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Axel
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend Endeavor . It has everything a meatier game has these days (individual player boards, lots of beautiful components) but without becoming too heavy. It is short in playtime and prepares you (and your family) for heavy eurogames. It is an ideal next-step game. I recommend you to get Endeavor before Agricola or Puerto Rico.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marek Jeszka
Poland
PoznaƄ
flag msg tools
I'm not in the business. I am the business.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As Richard wrote you can try Puerto Rico. It is quite easy to learn and also gives lot of strategies. But playing with 5 players is much harder than 3 and 4.

Another recommendation is Small World. This is quite easy, family-style area control game. If you are looking for complex strategies, than take something else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Drown
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BANG! is something completely different and works with 5.
Citadels another different mechanic and works.
Both are better with 4+ people, don't work with 2-3.

If you want, you can also try some of the classics by browsing down through http://www.boardgamegeek.com/browse/boardgame

Are you looking for something with a different mechanic?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Rose
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt Drown wrote:
BANG! is something completely different and works with 5.
Citadels another different mechanic and works.
Both are better with 4+ people, don't work with 2-3.

I agree that Bang and Citadels are both great acquisitions. Both play really well with 3+ players both are easy to learn

I don't know if you would like it as it does have some mechanics to it but my group likes Killer Bunnies and the Quest for the Magic Carrot it does have some complication but it can be played with 3-5 players and a game doesn't last more then 45 min's.

My group also likes Shadows over Camelot it can also be played with three to five+ players. It's a co-operative game with the majority of players vs. the game but it's a lot of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Citadels, but I find that the 2 player rules (found with the expansion, I believe) works really well. I play most of my Citadel games with 2 and I really enjoy it.

I'll also +1 for Smallworld too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Allie
United States
Bolivar
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I Was Geeky When Geeky Wasn't Cool
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd suggest Citadels as well. We've found it plays very well with 2 or 3. We've had success introducing it to non-gamers, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg S
United States
Gloucester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My family (including me) found Citadels dry and a little boring. We like more conflict, so BANG! The Bullet! is a big hit when we have 5 or more, and Colossal Arena works great from 2 through 5. Cutthroat Caverns was a bust. So were Small World and Dominion. Conquest of the Empire was a hit with the males but not the females.

I'm waiting to hit them with Descent: Journeys in the Dark, Australia and Iliad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.