13 Posts

Runewars» Forums » General

Subject: Expectations for the future of Runewars rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Friend less
Germany
flag msg tools
I have preordered Runewars and I am reading with interest the rewiews and first session reports. Somehow I get the feeling that the game receives a lukewarm welcome. Yeah, material is great etc. but I miss the words fun, great etc. Especially the hero mechanism is discussed and critizied a lot.

So do you think there will be like TI 3 editions? Will there be soon a revised editions or add ons to adress perphaps some faults in the game play?

I am feeling a bit fed up to collect games where the rules are udated and changed a lot from editon to edition...Talisman, TI, Britania etc.

I am asking if its better to sit back and wait if the game mechanics are so flawed that an "update" is only a matter of time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Syrovatka
Czech Republic
Beroun
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on the audience - at F:AT, the game receives a lot of praise. Or the problem is, that the game was so much anticipated, that ppl were expecting it would be perfect. Maybe it's 'only' great and that's the problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thel Schuhart
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Right now, my only expectation is to play the hel out of it. Maybe after that, I can decide on all this other stuff.

I have also seen all the suggestions on heroes and what not. Right now, until I have had a couple of real grueling matches, I won't buy into any suggestions.

What intrigues me most is that this is labelled as an empire building game to some extent. Thats what I really want to try out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Rodriguez
United States
Tomball
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
simpatikool wrote:
What intrigues me most is that this is labelled as an empire building game to some extent. Thats what I really want to try out.

It's not so much an empire building game as it is an area control game...though I suppose if you consider that area as expanding your "empire" then it would indeed be an empire building game. Don't get me wrong though - I love the game and don't see anything wrong with it. Plus, the possibilities for variants are endless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Roop
United States
Three Rivers
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
4 plays under my belt, I still love it. I learn something new each game and the
races seem balanced very well so far.

As far as expansions, here's my hope. 1 Expansion, the other 2 races from Battlemist
and that's it. Right now I can learn the Good/Evil objective cards and strategize
about which one my opponent(s) have. Any more and it takes away from the strategy
of the game.

No more reward cards. No more Quest cards. No more tactics cards. No more Fate Cards(obviously).
No more lands. Maybe a few more heroes that interact with the board more or that
lead armies and such (not for me, for those on the forums that want more of that
type of interaction). For example a Hero that allows friendly armies to traverse
mountains while he/she is on the mountain tile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
If an expansion only had new armies but nothing else, I'd probably be much less inclined to buy it, myself. As long as new quests (which would probably include tiles), rewards, tactics, etc are fair, having more of them wouldn't hurt.

Really, I would definitely want to see more seasons and objectives cards - with only 8 of each right now, it will be nice to have more variety.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bomholt
United States
Oxford
Ohio
flag msg tools
Support for more players would be great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blarknob wrote:
Support for more players would be great.

I couldn't agree more. I'm having a hard time going out to buy this as I'm having trouble with the idea of a big epic game being limited to 4 players.

I can easily see an expansion coming out in the future that contains pieces and rules for two more players. Especially since the board is modular and scales with players.

Such an expansion would indeed had things that also improve the game above and beyond what it is at the moment because FFG is very good at improving their designs by taking in the input from their customers.

That said, just because the game can be improved upon doesn't mean it's not already pretty darn great. As for me, I'll have to wait to try it to find out though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Browne
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One consideration is that 1-2 extra players could add 1-2 hours of game length and downtime issues. I think the game scales very well from 2 to 4 players and more than that could change the dynamic.

Could they do other factions? Yeah. The fact that there are neutral heroes leaves room for a couple of "neutral factions."

Should they do other factions? I'm not so sure.

Although rules for a Sorcerer faction that could use neutral units placed after setup might be interesting (and could make for a neat solo variant with some AI)...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstanty Szemraj
Poland
Puerto Rico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grimstax wrote:
One consideration is that 1-2 extra players could add 1-2 hours of game length and downtime issues. I think the game scales very well from 2 to 4 players and more than that could change the dynamic.

Imo it won't. TI3 expansion added from 6-players to 8-players and It work great. More of that, single turn in Twilight take more time than in Runewars, so I think it shouldn't be any problem to raise the limit of players to five or even six (especially when they add two more races).

Grimstax wrote:
Although rules for a Sorcerer faction that could use neutral units placed after setup might be interesting (and could make for a neat solo variant with some AI)...

Personally, I can't imagine how it would work in practice. This just would be too much ;)

And sorry for my grammar :>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Gallows
Denmark
flag msg tools
I would like more factions, but I think we'd still stick to four players as a max.

More season cards, because when playing over 8 years you know they will all come into play. Would be nice with 16 cards for each season.

Public objective cards working in a similar fashion to the TI3 ones would be nice, but instead of drawing one each year, a new one should be drawn when someone has completed the current public objective. Perhaps 2-3 open objectives. They'll have to fiddle with the rules, but I like the idea.

The last thing I'd like to see is laws passed by the wizards council, where players use cities and influence to vote. The title card having an advantage on different laws of course.

Other than those four things I feel the game is really complete.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Runewars feels a bit like three games, all good: it's like a streamlined Twilight Imperium; like Mighty Empires, you can create your own world and amass armies; and like Divine Right, you can recruit allies from neutrals and find magical items.

The Hero subsystem feels a bit like a game-within-a-game. Any more complex and it would bog the game down. Any less complex and it wouldn't feel necessary or interesting.

I could see opening the game to five players, or maybe six. But it could take a looong time to play. Maybe terrain for seas and rules for navies and sea creatures...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stephen biggs
England
flag msg tools
Gallows wrote:

More season cards, because when playing over 8 years you know they will all come into play. Would be nice with 16 cards for each season.

For long games, try reshuffling the season decks after the 6th & 12th years. That means you don't use the bottom two cards from each shuffle. Which retains the uncertainty of what seasons will be played next year.

Game really needs a couple more races (Orcs, Dwarves) and extra map tiles, heroes, quest cards etc to allow it to be played 5-player.
A 4th Title card would also be usefull.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.