Rob Neuhaus
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I added a couple of animated graphs that show the influence of goals on cards played and on the number of players in the game to rftgstats from ~60,000 gathering storm games on genie. As before, this is only tested on firefox 3. You have to refresh to see the animation again.

First, goals vs non-goals.

http://rftgstats.com/goals_vs_nongoals.html

On colors:
Blue and brown get a significant advantage with goals.
Military aliens do better, non-military aliens do worse.
Green does worse.

On the best cards:
Galactic Federation arguably performs Alien Toy Shop in goal games, but is significantly weaker in non-goal games.

On strategies:
Military does better with goals, and New Galactic Order in particular gets a big boost.
Galactic Trendsetters and Tourist World do significantly worse.
But it looks like FTA gets a bit better, and Mining League is sort of indifferent, so color specific produce/consumes work about as well.

http://rftgstats.com/game_size.html

The number of players in the game doesn't seem as influential as whether or not goals are in the game.

The biggest visible trend here is how much military fares better in 4 player vs 3 player.
Terraforming guild's advantage seems to scale with the number of players.
Trade League improves a lot from 2 to 3, but not all that much from 3 to 4, which somewhat surprises me. Furthermore, it's not really a killer card in 4 player, which also surprises me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Simply awesome!

It would be nice if the cards were clickable like on the main page, since i don't know all the icons>cards by heart.

Also maybe rename or title the pages so it's clear what's at the start and what's at the end. Like the first page is titled goals_vs_nongoals but actually starts with nongoals and fades to goals, which was confusing. It's unclear currently if the #players one goes 2p->3p->4p or the reverse. It can only be inferred thru your post above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Neuhaus
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The UI is really terrible right now. I'll add a button to start the animation, so that way you can select cards before the animation starts. I'll also add a description of the current frame. A friend in person said that the animation is actually a distraction, and simply drawing a vector in the direction of the change would be better. Further, he thinks the graph is a bit too over-drawn (maybe I need to make it bigger?).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rrenaud wrote:
A friend in person said that the animation is actually a distraction, and simply drawing a vector in the direction of the change would be better.

That likely depends on the person. For me, i think vectors would make the whole thing too busy-looking, and it would be harder to discern trends. But you could always supply the option to view it either way so visual/non-visual types can both glean information.

rrenaud wrote:
Further, he thinks the graph is a bit too over-drawn (maybe I need to make it bigger?).

The size actually seemed good to me, tho on re-view it couldn't hurt to be slightly bigger to keep overlap to a minimum. I'd recommend sizing it to fit the current most common resolution (1024x768).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt N

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for doing this.

It seems fine, but being able to see the cards, or better yet mark cards that you want to watch, would be excellent.

I wasn't sure whether goals or nongoals popped up at the start, so I watched Toy Shop and got my answer quickly. A title would probably help the casual viewer.

Over time, I'm becoming increasingly skeptical that looking at the whole population is the best way to go if you just want to discover card strength. I would very much like to see a graph of just the top 100 from time to time; a skilled player will have a similar winrate for most cards, so then the frequency can more clearly indicate which cards are stronger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Neuhaus
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll definitely fix the titles and add a frame by frame title somewhere.

Making the UI support having multiple cards selected and have their name follow them could be interesting. I'll think about it, but unfortunately, my javascript skills kind of suck, and a friend of mine helped me with a lot of it. Maybe I'll have to go and pair program it again .

I'll add another graph where the animation is a function of player ranking, which should take care of your last concern.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Once the Geek has you, there is no escape...
United States
Binghamton
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
entranced wrote:
It would be nice if the cards were clickable like on the main page, since i don't know all the icons>cards by heart.
surpriseYou don't know them all by heart!shake

Good ideas, though.

This is great information. Perhaps the vector could be included as part of the clickable information?

I also agree with Serge on the size.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheMadVulcan wrote:
:surprise:You don't know them all by heart!:shake:

Oh i know all the cards in the game by heart, i just don't frequent rftgstats.com enough to know what cards all his neat icons equate to, by heart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
Watch Tourist World take a TUMBLE!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JW
Australia
Doncaster
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it just me? I can't click on any of the icons on any of the rftg stats pages anymore. I was able to yesterday, but not today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Neuhaus
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are the icons clickable again?

I think it was a heisenbug. I added a console.log() to the click handler, which printed out debug info on a click when using firebug (as I tend to do when developing the Javascript), but then it breaks some browsers when not using firebug.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JW
Australia
Doncaster
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's still not clickable for me. (Sorry, I don't understand scripts.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
crushedguava wrote:
Is it just me? I can't click on any of the icons on any of the rftg stats pages anymore. I was able to yesterday, but not today.

It's not just you, i noticed that yesterday, nothing was clickable for me then, nor now. I didn't mention it as i assumed it was a known bug, guess not heh. I'm using Firefox 3.6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Neuhaus
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, one more shot. I think it's fixed now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rrenaud wrote:
Okay, one more shot. I think it's fixed now.

Yup all good now. Even the animated ones are clickable after the animation finishes, which wasn't the case for me yesterday. That nullifies this, which i didn't realize was just a bug:

entranced wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JW
Australia
Doncaster
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent work.

Just another thing I've noticed, is that the individual player stats page doesn't seem to update as often anymore. I might be wrong (maybe I'm just checking too frequently). Did something change here as well?

Thanks a lot for your work on this, rrenaud, really appreciate it.

Edit: added the question instead of making a different post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Neuhaus
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the way things are updated is basically as follows

1. do nothing for 3 minutes (make sure my machine isn't constantly computing)
2. get the gamelist page
3. for every game finished from the previous iteration according to gamelist
4. sleep 20 seconds (make sure I am not overloading genie)
5. retrieve game
6. build big data file containing all the games, including the new ones
7. compute the stats for all of the data, ignoring previous steps.

Steps 6 and 7 have the unfortunate property that as more games finish, they will run slower and slower. Furthermore, step 7 means that as I compute more and more fancy things (per player stats), it gets slower.

If update times were really atrocious, I have a few options. The first is to just do little optimizations on the code. This will get me some speed that will eventually be eaten away as more games finish. The second is to rewrite some of the code in a faster programming language like C, this would give me a big improvement in speed, but would take a lot of time, and making writing new analysis stuff harder, and again get eaten away as more games finish. The third option is to try to make the computation incremental, so that each step re-uses the previous computations, which I suspect would be even harder than rewriting in C, and again make rewriting new analysis stuff hard, but would be nice in that even if there were millions of games, I could update the stats quickly if there was only a small difference from the last run.

On the other hand, maybe there is some mixed solution, where I update things that change frequently more often (maybe player rankings and per player pages, if there was a new game), and things that are imperceptible less often (like the card winning rate graphs, or the per homeworld winning rates).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.