Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Boos
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The following is a cross-post from the SouthEast; I didn't bother reading, I just presumed we used the Mason-Dixon line as the north-south border...

I am thinking of talking to the owners of Cafe Piazolo at 23rd and Eads Streets just across Route 1 from Crystal City re: a post work gaming group. I think I can swing this with my wife once a month, but want to see if there are 2-5 other geeks interested.

I have picked this restaurant because, it has several board games (crappy ones) for folks to play, so i suspect they don't mind a group bringing in a few games to play as well. Also, it isn't too far from the metro line, so folks could metro there.

I am thinking of trying to kick it off mid-to-late March.

Who would be interested? Please propose a week day that works well for you... How long do we want to go? What start time would be good for you? (I prefer directly after work, about 5pm.)

Cheers!
Paul

PS - note: since this is a restaurant, I am presuming they are thinking we would be buying some food and beverage or else they are not going to be interested. Just want to state that as I doubt they would agree to people taking up space from potentially paying customers.

---------Follow-UP

I did talk to the restaurant and they would be happy to accommodate us. Mon-Thurs works best. I personally would like a Monday as long as it isn't the first Mon of the month. Please post here if you are interested. Please let me know prefs of day. I woudl like something that doesn't require me there every time to keep it going (so committed folks), as I have Reserve Duty that can occasionally get in the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Di Toro
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm up there and working on 18th street every third week, so if you get it going I'd be interested. I usually head to Game Pallor in Chantilly on Tuesday evenings, but extra gaming never hurts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Boos
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't seen many replies yet, but I am kind of swaying towards Mondays as my personal favored day, so third Mondays of the month could work well. That would put the first meet-up at 15 March. (Beware the Ides of March, might have to play a Roman game!)

I know a co-worker of mine is interested also...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Biodiesel
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What kind of games do you have in mind? How long do you expect to play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kory Bockman
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also interested. I work in downtown DC, but think I can get to Crystal City pretty easily. Games on the Metro might be a problem, however... I'll have to think about that. But, yes, I'm interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Boos
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd think we could play for 2-3 hours without amy issue as long as we didn't just make it purely game playing and at least ordered something. After all they are not a game store, so they need to see some return on allowing us to take a couple of tables from them. But an appetizer sale, a beer or two, or even sodas would keep it a non issue I would think. Especially if we focus on a Monday night as that is usually the slowest night.

To bring a game, I would think a backpack or other type of bag/briefcase would be best. I have a carry bag I usually take when I go to a friend's house for gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Argh...I used to live right there. (I'm now in a different part of the country.) cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Boos
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's what you get for moving away from the Best State (VA).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be interested - I work in Rosslyn, so it would not be too hard to get anywhere metro accessible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Westlake
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Im in, espeically if its near the metro.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Arbo
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be working a new job in Crystal City in a couple of weeks. What kind of games are we talking about? I like all kinds but I wanted to get a feel for what others like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Boos
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good point:

Here are a few I really want to play:

Mwahahaha
Ideology
Amun-Re
Monsters Menace America

I am partial to Euros, abstracts, and some limited Ameritrash. Dislike trivia games. I like some party games as well; Squint or Spinergy would probably play well there.

These haven't hit my table yet and this would give me an opportuntity to play them.

Cheers!
Paul

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Kochis
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be interested in meeting some local gamers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Boos
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, how does starting the 3rd Monday of March sound? 5pm start time; end time roughly 7pm (so management doesn't feel we are hogging the restaurant). After we do it a few times in a row, we might be able to more easily expand to longer or more often.

Cheers!
Paul

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Kochis
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The 15th of March looks clear for me presently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Boos
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like we have a quorum of folks interested. How about folks post some games you are interested in (you don't necessarily need to have them...)

Cheers!
Paul

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Kochis
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will usually try any game at least once, but here's a short list of some I'm interested in:
Monsters Menace America
Down in Flames--Aces High
Cosmic Encounter
Kingdoms
Stronghold
Carcassone

I also like BIG box ameritrash games like: Axis & Allies, Twilight Imperium, Conquest of the Empire, Starcraft the Board Game, etc. But I'm guessing that the big box games would be too long and take too much space at a restaurant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Boos
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you're right about the big box Ameritrash games...

If someone has Strnghold; I'd be interested in that...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Kochis
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Third Monday of March isn't too far away.

Who is still up for this little get together?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Boos
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a quick note - I am unfortunately now goingot be on Reserve Duty on the 15th of Marchb (3rd Monday) and my 4th Monday looks equally bad.

Did people still want to get together? Can someone stand-up to be the POC to with Cafe Piazzolo, so I can pass the name to teh manager?

Thanks!
Paul

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Guess the games in my uberbadge!
badge
My favorite game is Cosmic Encounter.
mbmbmbmbmb
I also used to live very close by... now I am in Herndon. Alas!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thel Schuhart
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey,

I used to work in Crystal City. Now I work at the blasted navy yard. But, I live in Sterling. Its to late for me to plan for Monday the 15th, but I am down for the next meeting.

I would try just about anything, though I also prefer the Starcraft/Runewars types of games.
Despite that preference, I even play and own a couple of Euros! (gasp!!!!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Boos
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a note - I am still looking for this to be the 3rd Mon of the month, so this coming Monday (19 April) is the target. Cafe Piazolo is the place @5-5:30p for a couple of hours. My co-worker who is also a gamer will be coming, so we have at least two. I plan to bring Red November and i may bring something just the two of us can play until we have at least 3-4 of us.

Please post if you plan to make it and the estimated time you plan to arrive.

Cafe Piazolo is at the corner of Eads St and 23rd.

Cheers!
Paul

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Clayberg
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Game Pallor

It doesn't get out in the sun much, does it? :)

Btw, I'm usually at the Chantilly location every other Saturday (in fact, I'll be there the day after tomorrow). In case you're wondering: I'm the 6 foot tall, overweight guy with shoulderlength mostly dark brown hair (the rest is a mixture of white and silver), glasses, mostly grey-and-white beard, with two canvas bags of games. I'm usually playing with John, Carl (and his wife, but she's on vacation right now), Charles (red-bearded) and Charles (grey-bearded), but not always.

And yes, my punny sense of humor comes with me ... some of the other players don't mind ... some do. I try not to overdo it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Boos
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to hit Game Parlor in Woodbridge.

Anyway, folks, let me know if you are going to make it....

Cheers!
Paul

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.